Gen 1 Tundra Rear Suspension Questions

Question 1:
Any one used something like this?
http://stores.mcmfablv.com/00-06-tundra-rear-cantilever-kit/

A Google search did not reveal much. I'm more intrigued by the idea, than anything... What exactly are the benefits? Is it for more of a pre-runner set up than for an Expedition build? I don't plan to jump my truck!!

Question 2:
What rear suspension did you go with? Would you do the same thing now? How much thought did you put into matching / tuning it to compliment your front coil over system?
I feel like the rear of my truck has "sagged" since the initial install of the Wheeler's Add-A-Leaf and the Bilstein 5100s. Is this normal?
My Bilstein part # is BIL 24-100144 - (BE5-A014-H7) Tundra Bilstein 5100 Rear Shock 13.84" X 22.4"

DaveInDenver

Middle Income Semi-Redneck
What you've linked is a subframe you'd use to do a spring under conversion, which is usually what you see with prerunners doing long travel suspension for desert running. It'll do 18" of travel and that's probably at least twice what the truck does stock. Plus, practically speaking, it cross braces your rear frame section so you lose the stock spare tire location.

This kit is $1,600 and then you'll have to add springs and shocks. Not just any shocks, 10" travel ADS, which are probably another $1,000 for a pair, and C27 Deaver springs and that's $800.

So is that what you're after? It's probably beyond overkill for driving dirt roads and exploring. What sort of cargo are you carrying?

What you've linked is a subframe you'd use to do a spring under conversion, which is usually what you see with prerunners doing long travel suspension for desert running. It'll do 18" of travel and that's probably at least twice what the truck does stock. Plus, practically speaking, it cross braces your rear frame section so you lose the stock spare tire location.

So is that what you're after? It's probably beyond overkill for driving dirt roads and exploring. What sort of cargo are you carrying?
No, not what I am after at all! LOL Just saw it doing a search for rear suspension options and was curious as to exactly what it did. Thanks for the info.

Mine is more of an exploring rig, but will at times pull a travel trailer, cargo trailer, etc. Just want a steady rear end that can handle rough terrain as well.

I think that kit is pretty much what I have (Bilstein 5100s and Wheelers Add A Leaf), yeah? Just wish mine had a little more lift and was a bit smoother on the washboards...

DaveInDenver

It's like what you have in the sense that they both use coil & leaf springs and shocks. Bilstein shocks are pretty good, probably equal in quality to Old Man Emu shocks.

However OME springs are better than doing Add-A-Leafs, which retain the stock pack and pretty much put all the lift & extra weight on the Add-A-Leafs. You probably still have the stock front coils with the 5100s set to lift. In both front and back the OME springs are higher rate so the whole spring is giving lift and supporting more weight without needing as much pre-load.

The whole OME suspension is going to work a bit more as a system and should ride better than the piece-meal approach you have now.

I have King Coil Overs in the Front, just seeking to clean up the rear end as I am not as happy with how that turned out. I have about 15K miles on the whole setup. I think the Kings are ok for the front, but wish I had invested more time into researching a complete system. Just trying to figure out how best to make a system using most of what I have as I don't want to throw a ton of money at it. Appreciate your input and suggestions.

My build is here: https://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/2005-toyota-tundra-dc-build.193650/

Kpack

Adventurer
I'm doing some research/thinking on my rear suspension plans and haven't quite come up with a solution yet. The rear end is terrible on washboard and bumpy roads. Currently have stock springs with 1.5" block lift (previous owner) and 2.5" Icon's with adjustable valving. It's not a great ride at the moment.

When I redo my rear suspension I'm leaning towards a full progressive spring rate pack, but probably not too heavy duty since I usually drive unloaded. They'll be paired with the Icon's I have now, though I might revalve them to progressive rather than digressive.

I'll do a shackle flip kit from Archive Garage will extended hangers, as well as a u-bolt flip.

Hopefully a set up like that will be smoother on rough roads.

DaveInDenver

If you have Kings in front then why not do King shocks and Dakars in back? I run FOX front coil overs and heavy (4 main + 3 overload) Dakars + FOX in back, I'm very happy with my ride. It's about getting spring rate matched to the weight on your axle and the right shock valving. Once you do it will float at speed over wash board. My old truck with OME was pretty good but limited by torsion rods in the IFS. My Taco is way better and I don't even have remote reservoirs like you do with your Kings (I assume).

I would be careful with shackle flips. They can make you really tippy and you have to be careful about the geometry change. More than a few guys are switching back to flipped (OEM configuration) shackles with heavy duty hangers (which Archive Garage also makes). The main issue (at least with Tacoma) seems to be finding the right shock travel and usually need to run limiting straps. I was giving serious thought to a low lift (~1/2") shackle flip but after riding in a truck I decided against it, just way too much body lean. If you're trying to maximize wheel travel for rock crawling it's an option but I do too much highway and dirt roads.

Thanks, I will look into something like that. At the time I purchased it was recommended to me that the Bilsteins and the Add A Leaf was the way to go. So, that is why I went that route initially. That combo seemed to do better paired with the SAWs on the 01 Access Cab, so it seemed like a no brainer at the time. Lessons learned... :)

Last edited:

Kpack

Adventurer
If you have Kings in front then why not do King shocks and Dakars in back? I run FOX front coil overs and heavy (4 main + 3 overload) Dakars + FOX in back, I'm very happy with my ride. It's about getting spring rate matched to the weight on your axle and the right shock valving. Once you do it will float at speed over wash board. My old truck with OME was pretty good but limited by torsion rods in the IFS. My Taco is way better and I don't even have remote reservoirs like you do with your Kings (I assume).

I would be careful with shackle flips. They can make you really tippy and you have to be careful about the geometry change. More than a few guys are switching back to flipped (OEM configuration) shackles with heavy duty hangers (which Archive Garage also makes). The main issue (at least with Tacoma) seems to be finding the right shock travel and usually need to run limiting straps. I was giving serious thought to a low lift (~1/2") shackle flip but after riding in a truck I decided against it, just way too much body lean. If you're trying to maximize wheel travel for rock crawling it's an option but I do too much highway and dirt roads.

That's good advice. I have not ridden in a truck with a shackle flip so I have no comment on how they ride. I do lots of highway and street driving, with tight trails and rocks being a distant minority. I would love the increased articulation, but I also don't want a truck that is iffy on the freeway. Not sure if anyone who has a shackle flip wants to chime in here?

Shock length shouldn't be an issue for me... I'm unsure of the extended length of the Icon's I have, but they are way longer than stock. My springs reach their limit before the shocks do.

Can anyone point me to any Gen 1 Tundras trucks running Kings front and rear? I searched for such a setup without luck. I'd like to read up on it if possible. Can't seem to find Kings for the rear, which means custom, which means $$$$$$. ?? Or maybe I just go with Fox for the rear?

Why Dakar leaf springs vs the Wheelers? Is there a big difference between the two? Thanks!

Loubaru

Adventurer
Can anyone point me to any Gen 1 Tundras trucks running Kings front and rear? I searched for such a setup without luck. I'd like to read up on it if possible. Can't seem to find Kings for the rear, which means custom, which means $$$$$$. ?? Or maybe I just go with Fox for the rear?

Why Dakar leaf springs vs the Wheelers? Is there a big difference between the two? Thanks!

I've never seen anyone running Kings front and rear either so if you find someone post it up here. I haven't even seen Kings sold anywhere for the rear but I suspect its because you have to take measurements based on what type of ride height/travel you'll have then order.

On the shackle flip thing I looked into it and decided against it. Sounds like it decreases your payload and makes the truck less comfortable on the street.

Kpack

Adventurer
The only person I've seen run King's front and back on a gen 1 Tundra is lhanson. But his were custom made front and back and cost a lot. Plus he did custom rear shock mounts. More often I've seen people run Fox on the rear. They are progressive valving similar to the Kings.

I've been doing some reading on shackle flips vs spring hangers and am trying to make sure I understand it. The newer Tacoma's have the shackle inverted from the factory.... I'm not around my truck right now, but I think we have a similar setup. Does anyone make spring hangar for our trucks? Can we use the stock hangar and just get a longer shackle?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles