RTT for tall people

Oskipoo

Not Mechanically Inclined
Hey guys, I’m thinking of getting a roof top tent for my JKU but I’m wonder what would work for my 6 foot 6 frame as well as fit my wife and dog? Any suggestions?

Cletus26

Adventurer
Hey guys, I’m thinking of getting a roof top tent for my JKU but I’m wonder what would work for my 6 foot 6 frame as well as fit my wife and dog? Any suggestions?

Tepui tents once opened are 96” long. As well as most soft RTT. I’m not as tall but my wife, dog and myself fit comfortably in our Autuana

Oskipoo

Tepui tents once opened are 96” long. As well as most soft RTT. I’m not as tall but my wife, dog and myself fit comfortably in our Autuana
That’s awesome info how do you get your dog in there up the ladder?

Cletus26

Adventurer
That’s awesome info how do you get your dog in there up the ladder?

I carry him up (90lbs lab). Mine is on my truck box so not as high as on a roof. I’ve seen other people put carpet runners on the hood/windshield so the dog can walk up and into the side window. My guy won’t go for it tho lol.
4ed4a5153a1d0d90d339aae52f0ae9fe.jpg

Oskipoo

I carry him up (90lbs lab). Mine is on my truck box so not as high as on a roof. I’ve seen other people put carpet runners on the hood/windshield so the dog can walk up and into the side window. My guy won’t go for it tho lol.
4ed4a5153a1d0d90d339aae52f0ae9fe.jpg
That’s awesome thanks

6'6 here, Have the Smittybilt tent that is the same as that Tepui, plenty of room.
Most of the RTT's will work out just fine for you.

jacobconroy

Hillbilly of Leisure
If you are thinking about hard-shell tents, James Baroud is making some XXL models now. I wish I had one, but not enough to replace my current Baroud. :) They look to be about 89 inches long...but will be wider than your roof rack or fiberglass top on a JK.

Oskipoo

Thats awesome thank you guys. I love the James Baroud but what makes it worth over 4k?

jacobconroy

Hillbilly of Leisure
Thats awesome thank you guys. I love the James Baroud but what makes it worth over 4k?

I can't justify the price, but I REALLY like mine. And, I only paid about $3500.00 for it (closeout/demo model from OK4WD). A hardshell tent (in my opinion):
  • is much easier and faster to dry out that a full canvas tent
  • holds more sleeping gear than my canvas Eezi-Awn tent (and my solar panels fit in there too)
  • is very fast to open compared to a canvas tent
  • is fairly fast to close when compared to a canvas tent
  • is almost silent in windy conditions
To be fair, my canvas tent has more room in every way, has a larger bed, and has that awesome "canvas tent" smell. There are other, less expensive hard-shell tents available. If I did it all again, I'd buy a used RTT (of any kind) first to see what I do and/or don't like. You will probably get your money back if you resell a used tent.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles