How long before we see a Earthromer for $150K?

zip

I prefer social distancing.
I love these vehicles, but they are currently out of my price range.
Supposedly one just sold in Seattle for around 100.
No idea about that salvaged one south of the border.
Another is for sale for 185 in Oregon.
How long do think before we see these used vehicles around the 150 price range?

workerdrone

Part time fulltimer
How about the one in CO right now asking 83k?

https://denver.craigslist.org/rvs/d/earthroamer-2005-xv-lt-16/6561126554.html

100k miles is nothing for these motors.

I don't know your aspirations, but I do think a lot of people that dream about these vehicles are wowed by the fit, finish, and car crushing stance but haven't really thought through the maintenance, fuel, and insurance costs and the reality of actually 'roaming the Earth' in a rig that most people will never be able to afford.

At the worst it could make you a target. At the least they tend to insulate you from actually experiencing a lot of things. And they're not actually all that off road capable...

waveslider

Outdoorsman
For the record, ZIP is an ex-SMB owner (I lurk the taco) so I would say there is a frame of reference that other people - who haven't at least owned some type of adventure rig - don't have. We are following a similar path but ERs don't suit me so we are going down a different road.

As I think you also mention, the concept of "off-road" is a pretty distorted one so I guess that depends on what you want it for. Rock crawling across uncharted territory in Moab, vs gravel outback vs the skeleton coast of Africa all have their own needs. I suppose one could slap a bigfoot on an F350 and just as big a target.....

workerdrone

Part time fulltimer
Couldn't believe it last time I was at Expo West and the new SMB's were going for $160k lol - my wife loves them.

I'm actually in the market for something like an Earthroamer because we'd live in it full time and I require a certain amount of daily ease, comfort and storage for that life. The ER would work; I like the layout and overall design. But I don't think I'd take it South of the border, or anywhere outside of USA, Canada, maybe Baja.

Grew up offroading in New England so the sheer size, turning radius, weight, and wheelbase are all big marks against it in my mind for really getting off road. But getting far enough away from the RV parks and hookups so we can boondock to our hearts' desires is nice. And they will do that just fine.

As did the Bigfoot slapped on the F550 in my avatar ;-)

Trikebubble

Adventurer
I used to cringe at the price-tags on those full size global adventure type vehicles. Then my Wife and I decided to make some changes in life, sell our motorcycles, our kitted out Xterra, our travel trailer and consolidate all our adventure wants and needs into one package. We narrowed down our choices to either a Sportsmobile or a full size truck and pop-up camper combination. At the end of the day I purchased 3 year old lease return Tundra for $35K Canadian, spent an additional $10K Canadian on suspension, wheel/tire, bumper/winch and other upgrades, and ordered a new Four Wheel Camper at a total cost of $40K Canadian. If you would have told me, 5 years ago, that I would be spending $85K Canadian on a new set-up I would have laughed. I've been overly thoughtful budgeting and spending every single dollar, installed everything myself to save money, and been frugal where the choices warranted it. I think to myself that one could consider this a lot of money, and it surely is, but to me I'm amortizing the cost over a minimum of 15 years of life's adventures that we are going to experience and I'm comfortable with my purchases.

I also then stop and consider what others spend their entertainment or adventure money on. I see friends with $25K snowmobiles, neighbours with $85K bro-dozer diesel trucks, and watch people sitting in $100K wakeboard boats on our crowded lake here in the summer. I watch the snowbirds exiting Canada in the 1/4 million dollar RV's every winter to all gather in Yuma or somewhere else warm and crowded.

So, is $150K for a global adventure truck a ridiculous price-tag? Maybe so...maybe not so much all things considered.

zip

How about the one in CO right now asking 83k?

https://denver.craigslist.org/rvs/d/earthroamer-2005-xv-lt-16/6561126554.html

100k miles is nothing for these motors.

I don't know your aspirations, but I do think a lot of people that dream about these vehicles are wowed by the fit, finish, and car crushing stance but haven't really thought through the maintenance, fuel, and insurance costs and the reality of actually 'roaming the Earth' in a rig that most people will never be able to afford.

At the worst it could make you a target. At the least they tend to insulate you from actually experiencing a lot of things. And they're not actually all that off road capable...
I saw that one. My Sportsmobile had a 7.3, which I loved. That 6.0 scares me.

zip

For the record, ZIP is an ex-SMB owner (I lurk the taco) so I would say there is a frame of reference that other people - who haven't at least owned some type of adventure rig - don't have. We are following a similar path but ERs don't suit me so we are going down a different road.

As I think you also mention, the concept of "off-road" is a pretty distorted one so I guess that depends on what you want it for. Rock crawling across uncharted territory in Moab, vs gravel outback vs the skeleton coast of Africa all have their own needs. I suppose one could slap a bigfoot on an F350 and just as big a target.....
Yep, I am on ST. I just posted up on that site, and asked if there were any ER owners there, and got the crap kicked out of me. Pretty funny, and entertaining thread.
What type vehicle are you looking for?

waveslider

Outdoorsman
Yeah, I'm sure the Bolshevik contingency got their panties in a bunch over there.

I'm exceptionally tall so the ER doesn't work for that and a myriad of other reasons. We are pretty limited and will likely go with GXV. Like you, since we are coming from a perspective of having spent some serious time in an "expedition" rig (quotes used to acknowledge the limitations of the SMB in the context of the word 'expedition') we have some known uses and needs. Namely we need a truck with balls (for light towing) and significant storage since our chosen activities tend to be gear intensive.

I know you are keen for an ER but if you haven't looked at Earthcruiser you're doing yourself a disservice. If the FUSO platform limitations don't hinder your brand of adventure (low power and fully incapable of towing anything but perfect for virtually everything else) then I simply can't think of a better rig. Every single one I've seen I am more impressed with their ability to manage space like an ATW sailboat.

Just a thought, good luck.

zip

Yeah, I'm sure the Bolshevik contingency got their panties in a bunch over there.

I'm exceptionally tall so the ER doesn't work for that and a myriad of other reasons. We are pretty limited and will likely go with GXV. Like you, since we are coming from a perspective of having spent some serious time in an "expedition" rig (quotes used to acknowledge the limitations of the SMB in the context of the word 'expedition') we have some known uses and needs. Namely we need a truck with balls (for light towing) and significant storage since our chosen activities tend to be gear intensive.

I know you are keen for an ER but if you haven't looked at Earthcruiser you're doing yourself a disservice. If the FUSO platform limitations don't hinder your brand of adventure (low power and fully incapable of towing anything but perfect for virtually everything else) then I simply can't think of a better rig. Every single one I've seen I am more impressed with their ability to manage space like an ATW sailboat.

Just a thought, good luck.

GXV looks pretty nice.
Earthcruisers look cool too.

I need to be able to tow 10K pounds.
I also like to be able to get driving area from living area, without getting out of vehicle.
This is necessary for me in case of Zombie attack, and I need to make a fast getaway.

What is an ATW Sailboat?

Thanks for your input.

waveslider

Outdoorsman
Yes, around the world sailboat. 10k lbs behind a Fuso means that you will get passed by a box turtle heading up the generals highway to the Needles or up the other way to Church Dome. No bueno.....

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles