Ambulance switch labeling ideas or solutions

Mattersnots

Adventurer
I did my search but didn't find anything.

For those fellow ambulance owners out there. I assume most of you are using the original switches like I am. If so, how are you dealing with the labels. If I use my "cot light" switch for my water pump I'd sure like the label to read water pump. Anyone figure out how to make labels or find a place that sells replacements. I'm considering spending some hours on the computer trying to make up my own then print them on some special media. I'd rather spend that time putting in windows.

While I'm talking about switches. I'm looking for a 6 pole double throw switch (I think) in the ambulance rocker style. Anybody have an extra? I have a couple two position switches like siren primary/secondary, but the second side of the switch is just for a light in the switch and signal for other lights.

Ideas?

rossvtaylor

Adventurer
While I'm talking about switches. I'm looking for a 6 pole double throw switch (I think) in the ambulance rocker style. Anybody have an extra? I have a couple two position switches like siren primary/secondary, but the second side of the switch is just for a light in the switch and signal for other lights.

Ideas?

6-pole... hmm, can I take a guess you want to turn on all the exterior floods with one switch? I've not seen a 6-pole switch, but that can be done with a single-pole switch controlling relays. Depending upon what you want to do, you may also be able to do it with a switch and diodes (if you're trying to have one "all on" master switch, but still control the sides independently with their own switches). Whatcha doing?

Brewdiak

kodiak conversionator
good question re; labels - i've seen labels in marine supply stores but they aren't the same style and don't cover all the ones i want. still mired in other stuff of higher priority but maybe someday in a billion years i'll get around to the labels :)

Third

When I do dash labels for my off-road cars, once I have the layout I just pop up to the local Quick Print shop. They can do any font, size, color. Usually have it done in an hour and it's not expensive at all.

You can also get clear transfer film from an office supply or Amazon and print and clear film with lettering (for placing in a clear cap). Works on a standard desktop inkjet printer.

Mattersnots

Adventurer
6-pole... hmm, can I take a guess you want to turn on all the exterior floods with one switch? I've not seen a 6-pole switch, but that can be done with a single-pole switch controlling relays. Depending upon what you want to do, you may also be able to do it with a switch and diodes (if you're trying to have one "all on" master switch, but still control the sides independently with their own switches). Whatcha doing?
I'm installing an electric ball valve for my grey water drain. The valve has two wires. If you put positive to one wire and negative to the other it opens. The trick is that to close it you need to switch the wires. This makes it complicated (for me) to wire it up without grounding a hot wire. I had this set up on the FirstRoamer and found that with a 6 pole switch I can hook up the positive and negative to the outside terminals and put the valve on the middle two. With this set up you can have both positive and negative going down the same wire to the valve with one switch. Not at the same time obviously. Switch in position A results in a hot and a ground going to the valve. Position B gives the same result but the ground and hot are reversed and I don't dump my shower water in your driveway. I'm certainly interested in an easier way. Yes I think I could do it with relays but I have enough of those already.

Mattersnots

Adventurer
When I do dash labels for my off-road cars, once I have the layout I just pop up to the local Quick Print shop. They can do any font, size, color. Usually have it done in an hour and it's not expensive at all.

You can also get clear transfer film from an office supply or Amazon and print and clear film with lettering (for placing in a clear cap). Works on a standard desktop inkjet printer.
Thanks for the suggestion. That was my next stop if I didn't get any good ideas here. I've got a sample set of label "paper" coming. Seems like the simple way is to make my own.

Mattersnots

Adventurer
What about a regular label maker?

Scooter...

Sent from my LGMP260 using Tapatalk
I have a label maker but I want something that will look factory and fit the switch exactly. I'm leaning towards clear acrylic printer medium. I found a place that will even make the little labels to size. With some work I should be able to print what ever I want on each label. Samples are on the way. If I go this route I'll get plenty of extras.

Anyone have any extra wheeled coach switches? I may be a few short.

Brewdiak

kodiak conversionator
which switches do you need? i'm working my ass off to get my rig driveable because i'm out of the rental garage as of monday but if you email me which ones you need i'll take a look through the parts and let you know

rlrenz

Explorer
I'm installing an electric ball valve for my grey water drain. The valve has two wires. If you put positive to one wire and negative to the other it opens. The trick is that to close it you need to switch the wires. This makes it complicated (for me) to wire it up without grounding a hot wire. I had this set up on the FirstRoamer and found that with a 6 pole switch I can hook up the positive and negative to the outside terminals and put the valve on the middle two. With this set up you can have both positive and negative going down the same wire to the valve with one switch. Not at the same time obviously. Switch in position A results in a hot and a ground going to the valve. Position B gives the same result but the ground and hot are reversed and I don't dump my shower water in your driveway. I'm certainly interested in an easier way. Yes I think I could do it with relays but I have enough of those already.

I think you are looking for a DPDT switch. It has 6 terminals, but it's commonly used with polarity reversal applications. If you buy one with the center "off:, then you should be good to go. A DPDT switch is easy to find - Blue Sea (www.bluesea.com) is a good source - check on line for the part number, then go to Amazon and search for Blue Sea XXXX for a price.

rlrenz

Explorer
I ran into the same thing on my panels. I used Publisher to create a word box with white letters on a black background, then saved it as a JPEG. Walmart printed my "photo", and I snipped out the inserts.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles