Skool me on Skottles

VicMackey

Adventurer
I am intrigued by the skottle. I have never seen one in person or cooked on one. Quick question:

Other than size/weight savings, what does the skottle give me, that a nice big frying pan and a Coleman stove do not?

B

BPD53

You'll be really cool with a skottle. You'll also be broke. I could buy a dozen old Coleman stoves for the price of a skottle.

It's just overlanding farkle as far as I'm concerned.

VicMackey

Adventurer
I am leaning your way. However I do not want to totally dismiss them because some actual user of them may prove me wrong.

Fireman78

Expedition Leader
I have had one since before they had a name. A giant actual plow disc with handles welded onto it. But I like seeing them get more popular. They are awesome. You can use it as a fire pan in areas where you can’t have a ground fire , (Maze District Canyonlands) or certain river trips, for example. They are indestructible. They hold heat for a long time and once you season them well they become family heirlooms. You can cook burgers for an entire soccer team on it or make breakfast for a fire crew all at once. All you need to clean it is water and then a bit of oil to season. Plus you could, in a pinch probably use it as a ground anchor buried to winch yourself out or use it as a Capt America shield and save the world with it. You can hate on cooking discs all you want but you can’t borrow mine! . There is another company called www.southwestdisc.com out there too. They make a 24” one and one with a 3” side rim. Check em out. Whatever you buy, get a lid and a stand too!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

ab1985

Explorer
I like my skottle, and I'm happy to see there are a few different options available now. It's perfect for the type of cooking I do while camping (agree with everything Fireman78 said) and I use it at home, too. I compared the footprint of the unit when packed with my Coleman stove and multiple pots/pans and decided it was also a space saver (for me - YMMV). Fortunately I was able to work one into my budget without selling any vital organs. I feel bad for BPD53 and his tenuous financial situation. Maybe we could take up a collection to help him out?

"Other than size/weight savings, what does the skottle give me, that a nice big frying pan and a Coleman stove do not?" It is quite literally a big frying pan so there's really no other advantage.

Last edited:

Colin Hughes

Explorer
I love mine and it gets plenty of use, on the trail and at home. A "Y" connector and an extra hose and it runs off the same propane tank as my Partner Steel stove. Yes, it's like a glorified wok but as it's flatter, it works great for preparing multiple meal items on one surface, especially when you camp with a vegan and you like meat.

dstock

Explorer
We love our Skottle, you can pretty much cook anything on it and unlike a stove you can keep food warm on the sides while you are finishing up your cooking. Super easy clean up and we use ours a table when not cooking. When we go out in a group, pretty much whoever has cooking duties for the day uses it. Personally, I don't mind paying for a well designed and thought out product. Got mine in a group buy and purchased a round wood disk at OSH for $20, and sealed and stained it for use as a table top. The storage bag is heavy duty and holds the lid and the table top as well.

Is it cool? Not sure about that, but you know what is cool? Breakfast sandwiches!
i-8N9K7hg-L.jpg

B

BPD53

I feel bad for BPD53 and his tenuous financial situation. Maybe we could take up a collection to help him out?

Thank you for your sympathy but I've never been one for charity.

-Except-

If you guys wanna ship me your old Coleman stoves I'll take them off your hands and add them to my collection.

VikingVince

Explorer
The Skottle is $275! Why not just put a flat bottomed wok on a Coleman Propane top stove or a butane stove (10,000 BTU just like Skottle)
or some other heat source? A LOT cheaper and it basically functions the same...frying on a steel surface...I guess a little less cooking area but 2 people don't really need more.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2018-04-22 at 9.08.34 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2018-04-22 at 9.08.34 AM.png
    133.9 KB · Views: 75
  • Screen Shot 2018-04-22 at 10.05.23 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2018-04-22 at 10.05.23 AM.png
    23.3 KB · Views: 76
  • Screen Shot 2018-04-22 at 10.17.00 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2018-04-22 at 10.17.00 AM.png
    36.1 KB · Views: 79
  • Screen Shot 2018-04-22 at 10.28.10 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2018-04-22 at 10.28.10 AM.png
    45.7 KB · Views: 76
Last edited:

ab1985

Explorer
If your goal is to sit on the ground and cook with the cheapest possible stove/skillet combo I think that's a great idea!

People on this site buy damn titanium sporks. Not sure why you guys are so spun up over the cost.

VikingVince

Explorer
If your goal is to sit on the ground and cook with the cheapest possible stove/skillet combo I think that's a great idea!

People on this site buy damn titanium sporks. Not sure why you guys are so spun up over the cost.

Who said anything about sitting on the ground? :) I usually follow the mantra "buy the best, forget the rest"...just don't see that with a $275 wok on a stand.

ab1985

Explorer
I can't be the voice of reason in this conversation. I own way too many cast iron and carbon steel cooking implements. :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FranklinDufresne