Alu-Cab Has Landed In The USA!

rino

Supporting Sponsor - OK4WD
This is a great conversation. Thanks everyone. I was at OK4W last Friday, and ordered the Alu-cab tent. ( I assure you, I went back and forth between these and the James Baroud) The folks in the store where great ( thanks Ryan) and I am excited. I am about to call and add the Shadow awing and walls, but I am trying to figure out an issue. This is a matter of great importance to my marriage.

I am willing to have something fabricated, (if someone could point me in the right direction), that would allow direct covered access from the RTT into an "annex" of some kind, for rainy days and midnight callings, that I can the connect into the Shadow Awning . Yes i know about the Baroud tunnel, but I preferred the Alu-Cab tents and the shadow awning. I can't be the only person thinking this is possible.
I thank you for your suggestions.

First off, thanks for visiting the shop and hope you enjoyed your time with us!

The James Baroud tunnel would not fit the Expedition III due to size difference in the tents, the extrusion of the lid and the height. But the EXP III has the rear awning for foul weather entry that works really well. I would consider this as a entry for foul weather and the side for fair weather if you are running the Shadow Awn.

fair enough, but they have to be able to attach to other companies products. You see it on other vehilcles.

Anyways, I’m on the verge of purchasing an alucab gen 3 to replace my JB rtt and debating getting the awning with it. I have a few issues with the design if the tent though.

1. Fabric folding down
2. Horrible ladder design, never understood why i need to out the dirty ladder into the tent and also shoukd be telescoping or similar to the JB ladder.
3. Mattress, although I can buy a topper if need be. Not sure why for the price if all these tents a but extra cannot be spent on mattress quality.

What have others done about these? Or are they a none issue? I should have went with the Alucab from the start, it is what I originally wanted. But the above issues pushed me to the JB. Now that i no longer have the JB I’m back to the drawing board.

Appreciate any feedback or pointing me in the right direction. So far it hasn’t popped up in my search. I see people switch out ladders, but the fabric for me is the big one.

Steve

The fabric folding down I too thought was odd but once you use it, it makes much more sense. You can control the privacy and airflow and it eliminates the need for additional zippers. The key is to roll them nicely and tuck them between the mattress and tent body, not much different then rolling up and strapping.

I would disagree on the ladder design. It is built to be solid, robust and survive the harshest environments. While a telescoping ladder may work best for your needs here, the same cannot be said for in the dust and corrugated roads found around the world. The ladder is also supplied in a heavy canvas storage bag so you do not dirty your bedding, along with a second mount allowing dual entry if you choose on the tent. Lastly, if a telescoping ladder is a must, the mount can be unbolted from the ladder and with three 6mm bolts be installed onto the ladder of your choice.

The mattress used is a 3" high density foam with a zip cover over 1" polyethylene closed-cell foam. What would you suggest as an upgrade?

There are advantages to the shadow awning, I love the 270 degree fold out, but those advantages come with certain requirements, like a very strong mount for the pivot end. Kind of like 40" tires need bigger axles.....

Yea, you have to fold the fabric walls when closing the tent to make sure they dont get caught in the gas struts, or in the area where the seal contacts. Some tents have a bungee from wall to wall for this, but honestly hooking that up would be more work then just tucking the fabric with your hands. Takes about an extra 5 seconds per side.

Ladder works awesome for me. I leave it in the bed of the truck.

I put a topper from Target on my original mattress. There is only so much space in there. Between the thick sleeping bag, pillows, and topper thats about all i can fit and sitll get the lid closed without sitting on it. I would love a 12" foam mattress like I put in my toyhauler, but i think that the tent would look a little silly if it was 18" tall. Plus it wouldnt be "camping" anymore. That said, any RTT is ~100x nicer than sleeping on the ground.

Well said as always :)

aaen

Adventurer
Thanks for the response, greatly appreciated, also got your email as well.

The shadow awning I am not worried about, I'm probably just gong to attach it to the side of the tent. I'll use my mounts on the other side fo a different awning. Although I know it would work, I've seen these attached on other vehicles using a very similar method to what i planned on doing.

The ladder may have been tested all over, and that is great, but there are also other threads on here where you yourself said you were working directly with ALUCAB on a different option for North America as they are not matched for the trucks here. Actually I think it might have been in an earlier post in this thread. I know a few people who have them and they have all switched out the ladders. It was the same with the JB ladders, putting it inside the tent is a bad idea. Bed of pick up is where I kept mine, but it was a smaller ladder then the one on the alucab as it slide together, and i just strapped it to the underside of the roof in the canopy. Actually the JB has probably the best ladder out there IMO. Would that ladder be able to retrofit to the Alucab? I'd just buy a spare JB ladder and attach it.

The mattress, well this is a hard one as there are so many ranges and people have different options/comforts. Granted this is an issue that plagues all RTT manufactures. Everyone I know whom has a RTT doesn't like the mattresses in them and ends up modifying the mattress. There maybe 2 out of a group of 50 people I know whom find the stock mattresses fine. Most end up adding 1-2” memory foam toppers for them, which is probably what I will do as I found the JB one to be a bit lacking in support. This range of tents goes from CVT, TEPUI, JB and yes 2 ALUCABS. I'm not saying there needs to be a 12-18” mattress on the tents, just saying talking to one of the many mattress companies out there would pay dividends for a lot of these RTT manufactures, instead of just using HD foam. A 6” mattress would probably be ideal (something similar to the caspers/etc mattresses your an get). These mattresses tend to feel more like boat cushions which are not overly comfortable. Maybe they have, but most of the RTT companies it is obvious they have not talked to anyone and just bought foam and cut it to shape.

Anyways, appreciate all the feedback and working with me on the emails. Think I have my answers, the tent and awning will be a go as will the fridge slide which I will modify the back to work with my elements fridge so the slide isn't taking up half my truck bed.

Thanks

Steve

First off, thanks for visiting the shop and hope you enjoyed your time with us!

The James Baroud tunnel would not fit the Expedition III due to size difference in the tents, the extrusion of the lid and the height. But the EXP III has the rear awning for foul weather entry that works really well. I would consider this as a entry for foul weather and the side for fair weather if you are running the Shadow Awn.

The fabric folding down I too thought was odd but once you use it, it makes much more sense. You can control the privacy and airflow and it eliminates the need for additional zippers. The key is to roll them nicely and tuck them between the mattress and tent body, not much different then rolling up and strapping.

I would disagree on the ladder design. It is built to be solid, robust and survive the harshest environments. While a telescoping ladder may work best for your needs here, the same cannot be said for in the dust and corrugated roads found around the world. The ladder is also supplied in a heavy canvas storage bag so you do not dirty your bedding, along with a second mount allowing dual entry if you choose on the tent. Lastly, if a telescoping ladder is a must, the mount can be unbolted from the ladder and with three 6mm bolts be installed onto the ladder of your choice.

The mattress used is a 3" high density foam with a zip cover over 1" polyethylene closed-cell foam. What would you suggest as an upgrade?

Well said as always :)

Last edited:

danneskjold

fair enough, but they have to be able to attach to other companies products. You see it on other vehilcles.

Anyways, I'm on the verge of purchasing an alucab gen 3 to replace my JB rtt and debating getting the awning with it. I have a few issues with the design if the tent though.

1. Fabric folding down
2. Horrible ladder design, never understood why i need to out the dirty ladder into the tent and also shoukd be telescoping or similar to the JB ladder.
3. Mattress, although I can buy a topper if need be. Not sure why for the price if all these tents a but extra cannot be spent on mattress quality.

What have others done about these? Or are they a none issue? I should have went with the Alucab from the start, it is what I originally wanted. But the above issues pushed me to the JB. Now that i no longer have the JB I'm back to the drawing board.

Appreciate any feedback or pointing me in the right direction. So far it hasn't popped up in my search. I see people switch out ladders, but the fabric for me is the big one.

Steve

I absolutely agree - for the price of the tent the ladder is absolutely horrible but the carry bag idea is great.

I ended up getting a telescoping ladder from FreeSpirit and mounted it with their ladder brackets - great mod.

I did a few other mods as well - better lights and some dessicant packets to combat condensation.

DSC05737.jpg
DSC05719.jpg

You can see more here: https://www.tacomaworld.com/threads...ma-glamping-build.531674/page-2#post-17178911

Attachments

• DSC05730.jpg
    DSC05730.jpg
    217.6 KB · Views: 109

aaen

Adventurer
Well, I ordered y Awning, Gen 3 and fridge slide the other week from Bomber Products, should all be in and ready for pick up in April. Ye ha. Scratch the Gen 3, it wouldn't be at the dealer in time for my trip.

Rin,

Where is the electrical plugin for the tent located? Is it at the front or the back. Guess by front I mean where the tent opens up and you get the three windows, or is it back by the hinge? Just busying getting my wiring dialed in on the truck.

Thanks

Steve

Last edited:

TRD Burglar

I absolutely agree - for the price of the tent the ladder is absolutely horrible but the carry bag idea is great.

I ended up getting a telescoping ladder from FreeSpirit and mounted it with their ladder brackets - great mod.

I did a few other mods as well - better lights and some dessicant packets to combat condensation.

View attachment 438683
View attachment 438684

You can see more here: https://www.tacomaworld.com/threads...ma-glamping-build.531674/page-2#post-17178911

Who did you order that ladder from? I can't find anyone who sells it by itself

jacobconroy

Hillbilly of Leisure
I will second this. About to pull the trigger on the Shadow-awning, but the lack of a fourth wall on the wall tent has given me pause. I'm toying with the idea of buying the wall kit and paying someone local to rework it. Ideally (IMO), a four-wall room on the side of the vehicle would be perfect and would leave the back open (with just the awning overhead to cover the kitchen). Anyone else think that's a good idea?

This would allow a bug-proof sleeping/privacy area, and coverage in the rear that will not interfere with my swing-out, giant rear tire, tire rack, or kitchen.

OK, yeah...I'm the type of guy that replies to his own post. :) I received my Shadow awning and installed it. After doing some measuring, there is hope for an enclosed wall kit. This is what I'm thinking (using the wall kit that we can buy from Alu Cab):
Shadow Awn overhead anotated.jpg

Sorry for my childish annotation. I don't do it often. This would be good for privacy (bathroom or change clothing). It would also leave my kitchen open. The large window might wrap around the corner a bit (I've tried to draw that)...but I could live with it. Would also need to fab something to close off the space above the north wall in the picture. Some light fab would be necessary. The math is pretty close. I think it will work.

Anyone know how tall the walls are on this kit? I didn't find it on the Interwebs.

80t0ylc

Hill & Gully Rider
OK, yeah...I'm the type of guy that replies to his own post. :) I received my Shadow awning and installed it. After doing some measuring, there is hope for an enclosed wall kit.
Sorry for my childish annotation. I don't do it often. This would be good for privacy (bathroom or change clothing). It would also leave my kitchen open. The large window might wrap around the corner a bit (I've tried to draw that)...but I could live with it. Would also need to fab something to close off the space above the north wall in the picture. Some light fab would be necessary. The math is pretty close. I think it will work.

Anyone know how tall the walls are on this kit? I didn't find it on the Interwebs.
So you're going to buy their wall kit and modify it for your idea? Just so you know, I have their right side or passenger side wall kit. It attaches to the awning with a velcro strip and to the provided poles with velcro straps. You'll need to attach the modifed walls to the awning roof in some way to seal your proposed bugproof room. The weight of the walls will require a secure attachment which may adversely effect the roof material. This might void your warranty, just sayin'.... Also there is a slight gap in the walls near the top of the poles that will also need to be addressed to be "bug proof". Walls are approx 6.5' tall with an approx 18" flap on the floor that you can use to seal the bottom or floor of your room. The walls do zipper together except at the vehicle and there they provide some nylon loops to tie to your rig. If you go to post# 537 on page 36 of this thread, you can see pics that I provided when I set up mine in my back yard. Good luck & post pics of your project!

jacobconroy

Hillbilly of Leisure
So you're going to buy their wall kit and modify it for your idea? Just so you know, I have their right side or passenger side wall kit. It attaches to the awning with a velcro strip and to the provided poles with velcro straps. You'll need to attach the modifed walls to the awning roof in some way to seal your proposed bugproof room. The weight of the walls will require a secure attachment which may adversely effect the roof material. This might void your warranty, just sayin'.... Also there is a slight gap in the walls near the top of the poles that will also need to be addressed to be "bug proof". Walls are approx 6.5' tall with an approx 18" flap on the floor that you can use to seal the bottom or floor of your room. The walls do zipper together except at the vehicle and there they provide some nylon loops to tie to your rig. If you go to post# 537 on page 36 of this thread, you can see pics that I provided when I set up mine in my back yard. Good luck & post pics of your project!

I might. Still mulling it over, which means that I probably will once I've put a lot of thought into it. In my picture, the northern most wall (with the big window) will follow the line of the awning arm there. The wall can be attached to that arm, probably with some velcro (riveted to the arm?). I'll have to figure out something to patch the opening above it (between arm and awning). Along the rig, I'm betting that I can rivet more velcro that can be attached to the bottom of the metal awning case.

Thanks for the info and the pictures. That helps in my process. :) Edit: And, Oh yeah...thanks for the height info too. My awning edges are at 79 inches. Perfect.

80t0ylc

Hill & Gully Rider
What is the weight of the Enclosure Kit?

What is the packed size of the storage bag for the walls?
32 lbs; 24"L x 15"W x 11.5"T; I also put 2 tarps in bag to use as a floor when setup. One is 6' x 8' and the other 10' x 12'. Alu-Cab provides a map diagram of the walls, that are numbered on top of the bag.IMG_0661.JPGIMG_0662.JPG

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94