New version of Gaia GPS released

Theoretician

Adventurer
I've noticed that when I start recording a track the current track stops displaying on the map after 15-30 seconds. Like, the blue line I'm creating stops appearing. The software is still recording the track and if you move out of map view and back in, it will show up. But it just stops live drawing it on the screen. It's not critical, but it's annoying while exploring an area with lots of crossing trails.

I posted about it on their Help community where another guy was having the same issue, but we've gotten no response. Anyone else have this issue?

I'm seeing this too.

ultraclyde

Observer
Well, this just popped up regarding our issue with the disappearing track on the main Gaia forum:

We have an open bug report and are looking into this. I'm sorry for the inconvenience this has caused.

So they are checking into it now anyway.

Scoutn79

Adventurer
I have so many bugs I need Raid....
The newest one is the app crashes about 20 minutes into creating long routes. I know I could save and continue but the next problem is that being able to edit a routes is not a guarantee any longer. Some routes I have tried to edit end up with waypoint markers all over the page not following the route as drawn and the route line incomplete, going directions the route doesn't actually go and consists only of straight lines mising all of the finer detail I made actually following the trails...
Is anyone else having the same issues?

PLEASE GAIA, fix these bugs.

Darrell

Last edited:

1Louder

Explorer
I have so many bugs I need Raid....
The newest one is the app crashes about 20 minutes into creating long routes. I know I could save and continue but the next problem is that being able to edit a routes is not a guarantee any longer. Some routes I have tried to edit end up with waypoint markers all over the page not following the route as drawn and the route line incomplete, going directions the route doesn't actually go and consists only of straight lines mising all of the finer detail I made actually following the trails...
Is anyone else having the same issues?

PLEASE GAIA, fix these bugs.

Darrell

iOS? Android? Email support! or put something in the Gaia community forums. That is the best way to inform Gaia of any issues you are having.

Scoutn79

Adventurer
iOS? Android? Email support! or put something in the Gaia community forums. That is the best way to inform Gaia of any issues you are having.

Sorry. It's Android.
Yes I am, and have been in contact with GAIA support for months. This app has so much potential.

Darrell

MountainBiker

Experience Seeker
Yes, I'm still working with Gaia on this. The crashing stopped with 7.0.5, but the sync is still not working.
For those following my saga, the sync issue was only solved by uninstalling Gaia from my Galaxy Tab A, and then reinstalling it. Many other things were tried as Gaia attempted to fix my sync issues, but I had to use the nuclear option. Sync works well now. But by uninstalling the app, I lost all of my map downloads. Gaia has been very responsive to my emails through all of this! And while going through these issues I recently subscribed to 5 more years of GaiaGPS premium.

My ongoing issue at the moment is the very, very slow download of maps, when putting them on the microsd card. By slow, I mean that it takes a couple days for one map that is near the size limit. This a big deal, since I overland with a motor vehicle, so I need a ton of maps for every trip. I download at zoom level 14, which is a barely acceptable level of detail, so that isn't the problem.

For those that might ask, I recently purchased a Galaxy S8 phone, and it has the same super slow download when the maps are stored on the MicroSD card. It's pretty quick when using the device's internal memory, but there isn't enough space on my S8 or my Tab A for all the maps I need. I'm leaving in just 7 days for 4 weeks on the road, and I hope all the maps I need will be downloaded. I'm talking about only 15 GB more to download, and yes, it is that slow to put the data onto the card, it is not a WiFi issue.

Superduty

Adventurer
I've always experienced the same issue with map downloads. Even the gaia topo map, which they claim should be very fast - I presume bc this particular map is on their servers. You have to plan big downloads days, if not weeks in advance. I too, download to the sd card. The download is far slower than the write speed capability of the card . The download speed is also far slower than my Internet connection.

I am downloading to an S2 tablet.

For now. I think it's just a problem you have to live with. Assuming with the many other glitches and issues.

I'm not sure there is another app that is better.

I too have had to do the nuclear option with a reinstall. No fun.

Good luck

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Frdmskr

Adventurer
FWIW I am running iOS11.3 on an iPhone 6s and an iPhone 8 PLUS. No issues at all running the app. The only glictch (if you can call it that) was when I ran into a dead spot in coverage (I use TMobile) which corrected itself with refreshed maps in 1/4 mile. I run several layers at once and use it quite a bit on screen just to have a reference map showing.

MountainBiker

Experience Seeker
FWIW I am running iOS11.3 on an iPhone 6s and an iPhone 8 PLUS. No issues at all running the app. The only glictch (if you can call it that) was when I ran into a dead spot in coverage (I use TMobile) which corrected itself with refreshed maps in 1/4 mile. I run several layers at once and use it quite a bit on screen just to have a reference map showing.
I'm not sure if this is directed at myself or Superduty, but I want to point out that you are using Gaia in a completely different way. We are using it for offline maps, while you are using online maps, which require at least 3G data service. That doesn't work for me, as most of the places I go are outside of cell tower range. There are a huge number of mapping apps that work excellently when you have a cellular data connection during your travels. Or even when you know your exact route, download the maps for your route, and then don't deviate along the route when outside of cellular data range.

MountainBiker

Experience Seeker
I've always experienced the same issue with map downloads. Even the gaia topo map, which they claim should be very fast - I presume bc this particular map is on their servers. You have to plan big downloads days, if not weeks in advance. I too, download to the sd card. The download is far slower than the write speed capability of the card . The download speed is also far slower than my Internet connection.

I am downloading to an S2 tablet.

For now. I think it's just a problem you have to live with. Assuming with the many other glitches and issues.

I'm not sure there is another app that is better.

I too have had to do the nuclear option with a reinstall. No fun.

Good luck

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk
Thanks, good (or bad!) to know that I'm not alone! I've now experienced the same issues on 3 different devices, so I was pretty sure that it wasn't a hardware issue, although all my devices are in the Samsung family.

I too have not found an app that is better for my use case, which is why I decided to support the efforts of the good people at Gaia and subscribe for several more years. They are a very small team, and yet they respond to all feedback very quickly.

Superduty

Adventurer
Thanks, good (or bad!) to know that I'm not alone! I've now experienced the same issues on 3 different devices, so I was pretty sure that it wasn't a hardware issue, although all my devices are in the Samsung family.

I too have not found an app that is better for my use case, which is why I decided to support the efforts of the good people at Gaia and subscribe for several more years. They are a very small team, and yet they respond to all feedback very quickly.

I just posted up on the Gaia support page. I may be at the end of my patience for Gaia. I started downloading the Gaia Topo for Death Valley NP on Sunday. It is now Thursday and it slightly more than half way through. It's only 734MB. These download speeds are beyond ridiculous. Particularly bc I have a numerous other maps for the same area that I want to download. I am not sure what other app to use. I have Backcountry Navigator on my tablet. I also installed Locus Map and US Topo Maps to see what I think about those. Gaia seems to have the most variety of maps of all. But if you can't download them, they are useless.

1Louder

Explorer
I just posted up on the Gaia support page. I may be at the end of my patience for Gaia. I started downloading the Gaia Topo for Death Valley NP on Sunday. It is now Thursday and it slightly more than half way through. It's only 734MB. These download speeds are beyond ridiculous. Particularly bc I have a numerous other maps for the same area that I want to download. I am not sure what other app to use. I have Backcountry Navigator on my tablet. I also installed Locus Map and US Topo Maps to see what I think about those. Gaia seems to have the most variety of maps of all. But if you can't download them, they are useless.

What speed SD card do you have? If you have a budget micro SD card this is likely the issue. The app can't write to the card fast enough. Have you bought a different SD card and tried it? This may not be a Gaia issue but a hardware issue. Have you discussed that with support?

Superduty

Adventurer
What speed SD card do you have? If you have a budget micro SD card this is likely the issue. The app can't write to the card fast enough. Have you bought a different SD card and tried it? This may not be a Gaia issue but a hardware issue. Have you discussed that with support?

Installed card is:

Samsung EVO Select. Specs are
  • Up to 100MB/s & 90MB/s read & write speeds respectively; Class 10 UHS 3
I have deleted and reinstalled Gaia along with all my maps. Quite the chore to start over. I am now going to try downloading one at at time. I started with NPS visitor map of Death Valley. It's downloading markedly faster than prior to the reinstall. I will do the gaia topo next to see how that one does. There is either a problem when you send multiple downloads at once (regardless of the fact that the app only downloads one map at a time) or once you have downloaded numerous maps and gaia has been installed for some period of time it simply doesn't work as it should. I'll update this thread if I get any new information.

1Louder

Explorer
Installed card is:

Samsung EVO Select. Specs are
  • Up to 100MB/s & 90MB/s read & write speeds respectively; Class 10 UHS 3
I have deleted and reinstalled Gaia along with all my maps. Quite the chore to start over. I am now going to try downloading one at at time. I started with NPS visitor map of Death Valley. It's downloading markedly faster than prior to the reinstall. I will do the gaia topo next to see how that one does. There is either a problem when you send multiple downloads at once (regardless of the fact that the app only downloads one map at a time) or once you have downloaded numerous maps and gaia has been installed for some period of time it simply doesn't work as it should. I'll update this thread if I get any new information.

I know the goal has always been get a tablet with low storage and make it a tablet with lots of storage via an SD Card. It seems sometimes this works and sometimes it doesn't. I can't speak to any specifics with Gaia. It's why I run a tablet with large internal storage. Yes, it happens to be an iPad. Your research sounds useful for the Android folks.

This article sheds a little light on the fastest cards available. https://www.digitaltrends.com/mobile/best-microsd-cards/

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles