Smittybilt Scout Trailer Reviews?

OregonJKU

That is awesome. If you want more heat from the stove, then a 5psi regulator will do the trick. Mine was good until the wind blew, and it was all over. That little stove is capable of a lot of heat, but I think it comes with a 1/2 psi regulator, which IMHO is not enough. 2psi would be perfect, but 5 was the closest I could find. You can also get a variable regulator.
Congrats on your trailer. I like that SS table.... :)
Thank you. The SS table sits on the fender and attaches to the main box with 2 magnets

I brought my new Scout trailer home today! and I also brought home a SmittyBilt RTT XL to mount on top (man that sucker is heavy!
I put the trailer in the garage and tried taking it off the hitch and realized 2 things:
1. The trailer is VERY heavy tongue weighted, i couldnt lift it off
2. The trailer jack stand is very tall and couldnt be used to jack the trailer off the hitch, too tall to drop down and lock into place, even with the wheel removed.

Need to figure something else out to make that easier to hitch/unhitch the trailer.

Now i get to pick out all the cool mods ive seen many of you do and copy!!! :)

Going to be fun.

ebrabaek

Adventurer
I brought my new Scout trailer home today! and I also brought home a SmittyBilt RTT XL to mount on top (man that sucker is heavy!
I put the trailer in the garage and tried taking it off the hitch and realized 2 things:
2. The trailer jack stand is very tall and couldnt be used to jack the trailer off the hitch, too tall to drop down and lock into place, even with the wheel removed.

Need to figure something else out to make that easier to hitch/unhitch the trailer.

Going to be fun.

Congrats on your purchase. Yeppers the Tongue weighted. No way I could lift mine before the tire was moved back. Now I can, so that could be one way forward for you. Have fun with the modding.
On another note I talked with Smitty, yesterday at the Easter safari in Moab, and they are in the middle of turning the stove pull out around so you can use it from the opposite side it is now.

honda250xtitan

How light do you want your tongue to be? I can easily lift my homemade trailer but the tongue is 4' from the nose of the trailer. All of my weight is right on or in front of the axle. I'm trying to avoid unnecessary tongue weight but i don't want the trailer to get a mind of its own when towing it. Or is the main concern not having too much weight behind the axle? It's hard for me to see if i have a lot behind the axle or if its just the long lever i have via the tongue to lift the trailer up.

Going to be fun.

Congrats on your purchase. Yeppers the Tongue weighted. No way I could lift mine before the tire was moved back. Now I can, so that could be one way forward for you. Have fun with the modding.
On another note I talked with Smitty, yesterday at the Easter safari in Moab, and they are in the middle of turning the stove pull out around so you can use it from the opposite side it is now.

I have been seeing that issue in the reviews... in my trailer it is turned the right way! I was excited to see that

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

How light do you want your tongue to be? I can easily lift my homemade trailer but the tongue is 4' from the nose of the trailer. All of my weight is right on or in front of the axle. I'm trying to avoid unnecessary tongue weight but i don't want the trailer to get a mind of its own when towing it. Or is the main concern not having too much weight behind the axle? It's hard for me to see if i have a lot behind the axle or if its just the long lever i have via the tongue to lift the trailer up.

It’s more of a combination of too heavy to lift it off and the trailer jack being too long....
It is really hard to hitch/unhitch When that check is way too long, and it is too heavy for lifting high enough…

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

john61ct

Adventurer
Tongue weight is supposed to be 10% of the total trailer weight for towing stability.

8-15% is a commonly cited acceptable range.

Too low increases risk of sway, tail wagging the dog.

Negative (lift) obviously crazy dangerous.

Overly heavy I think not as much a problem except as it approaches the rear's GAWR.

But then weight distribution within the footprint is suspect, should be concentrated near the axle(s), ideally well between the wheels and low COG.

**All** of these safety concerns are somewhat reduced when keeping towing speeds low.

ebrabaek

Adventurer
Side box installed. As a matter of fact I was a bit nervous as it is a tongue box, but I like how it looks. So much in fact that I went back to Harbor freight to buy another one for the other side.
25% off today, which brought each unit to $90. Looks OEM IMHO.

https://www.harborfreight.com/2-34-cu-ft-steel-trailer-tongue-box-62253.html

Unfortunately I cant upload any pictures anymore after the site redo. It returns stating files are too large.

Edit: Fixed after I resized each picture to 25% of original.

Last edited:

Silverback07

Adventurer

Yes!! This is something they should have done from day one.

ebrabaek

Adventurer
Resized @ 25%.......
IMG_7749a.jpg
IMG_7750a.jpgIMG_7754a.jpg
IMG_7757a.jpgIMG_7758a.jpgIMG_7762a.jpg

I simply took off the smitty logo side cover and put it on the inside. I sat the new box on the fender, and drilled from the inside of the smitty, utilizing the 3 holes used for the smitty cover, then used the same hardware and sat the box down after laying a bead of silicone on the fender, and on the back of the box. Torqued it back, and the side and fender is now stiffer.

Last edited:

ebrabaek

Adventurer
I failed to mention that the with of the side boxes are just 1/2 inch inside the with of the tire. So the tire still sticks out a wee bit more than the boxes.

john61ct

Adventurer
If you knew you were going to do this from the beginning, could design a fender setup integrated with the boxes. . .

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior