A little love for the Hi-Lift

CCH

Adventurer
Sorry, not even an "overland" story. However, my youngest son recently got his driver's license and we picked up a Ford Focus to keep him out of his mom's Hemi equipped Grand Cherokee and my Chevy 2500HD. Last night he was at a friend's not far down the road. When he didn't arrive home in time, I gave him a call. After some dissembling, he finally communicated that he was stuck in his friend's gravel driveway. Frankly, I couldn't imagine how that could be and headed over to find out what was going on. He was indeed stuck. Somehow he backed up onto a small retaining wall made of large rocks/small boulders and both high centered and buried his front tires. After some inspection, all agreed that it would be best to tackle another day. I lay awake painting a picture of pierced oil pan or damaged transmission as well as some sort of exorbitant towing bill.

This morning we headed over to assess the damage in daylight. Poking around underneath, I was amazed that he had gotten the car to where it was. That took some serious commitment to panic driving. I started doing some mental measurements and figured that a few 2x6s, my Hi-Lift and the attachment that allows for lifting wheels might just do the trick. Sure enough, for a modest $26 investment on my son's part and a fair amount of elbow grease and we were able to back it off.

I haven't used my Hi-Lift in a long time, and really don't like when I have to, but it sure came in handy today. Trying to figure out how else we would have gotten it out without writing a sizable check, and failing. Also gave me a chance to give the boys pointers on the importance of chocking wheels, safely working the Hi-Lift, etc. Sadly, it wasn't the sort of job I could make my son do himself.

Obviously you can't see it in the photo, but there was a particularly big rock about dead center under the car. It's about the size of the largest one you can see in front of the car, but projects up higher. Had to fill in the hole under the front left fire, support it with two boards and get the front right tire on one board to start to clear it. Then had to add more to creep over it. Suburban Hi-Lift recovery, who would have thought it?

While I'm relieved it was not due to any sort of inebriation, I am concerned he pulled this off sober.

i-RcXLFhf-L.jpg

Last edited:

Airmapper

Inactive Member
Cars, helpless little things.

That said I got hung up turning around in what amounts to my driveway Friday night and had to winch myself back onto the road....so nope, not going to say anything smug about your sons intelligence. Stupid can happen to everybody at one time or another.

aaen

Adventurer
It is all part of learning to drive a car and we all make stupid mistakes from time to time.

JIMBO

Expedition Leader
:sombrero: I'm not the class defender of HiLifts, although I should be--

I've used my HiLift for the many disasters on trucks/jeeps/trailers--since 1964 and I NEVER go off-road without mine--

They're like a spare tire--usually you'll never needit--but when you do-"BAM"-

It's a good thing you had one-

:costumed-smiley-007:bike_rider: JIMBO

CCH

Adventurer
Oh, I made much more expensive mistakes with cars when I was his age. He has a long way to go to match me or his older brother. ;)

chet6.7

Explorer
There is a TV commercial with jr calling mom because he has a flat tire,the scene shows jr with a buddy holding a tire iron with a what am I supposed to do look.The guys in the video are that demographic,can't operate a shovel.

Ducky's Dad

Explorer
There is a TV commercial with jr calling mom because he has a flat tire,the scene shows jr with a buddy holding a tire iron with a what am I supposed to do look.The guys in the video are that demographic,can't operate a shovel.
And here is your Hollywood minute for today: That commercial was shot in the Pasadena Arroyo Seco, under the Colorado Street Bridge, maybe 1/4 mile from where the Rose Parade starts. When it was built in 1913, it was the highest concrete bridge in the world, and is almost 1500 feet long.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles