Should I buy a jeep

MOguy

Explorer
It all depends on what you like. I daily drive a lifted 2001 TJ and a 79 1 ton dually. I also have an Acadia Denali with all the bells and whistles. I enjoy driving my Jeep and truck. The Denali is nice but boring, but it is a great family car for the road. Set up right, a jeep wrangler can drive nice. An older YJ will probable never drive as nice as a newer wrangler with coils.

I had a 4Runner and it was much quieter then my TJ and it handled better but the ride quality wasn't that much better.

Edit: I have wheeled with various newer toyotas, 4Runner, Tacoma, and fugly one. There is nothing wrong with them but they never wheel like the Wrangler. The wrangler is far more maneuverable and for hard stuff the solid front axle works better than IFS. Even on the less difficult stuff the wrangler just moves around better but it doesn't have the cargo space.

Last edited:

Happy Joe

Apprentice Geezer
in my post it should say the Tacoma just could not keep up with jeeps and could not go the same places.
I dunno; I've seen some well prepped Toyotas (Tacos and others) that could traverse significant terrain, as well as many Jeeps and Jeep products that could not keep up with other Jeeps...or rock buggies.
...It ain't a race, its just an entertaining way to have fun...

Enjoy!

MOguy

Explorer
I dunno; I've seen some well prepped Toyotas (Tacos and others) that could traverse significant terrain, as well as many Jeeps and Jeep products that could not keep up with other Jeeps...or rock buggies.

Enjoy!

Well prepared anything will do well, just depends how far you take it. Certain platforms just lend themselves better to certain applications. It is not which one is better its which one is better suited for what you want it to do.

Within the constraints of the OP's planned usage, either will do the job just fine.

When you start throwing heavy mods into the mix, it changes the whole argument. I think everyone agrees that a solid axle rig is better for the rocks, but that's not what he said he would be using it for.

There are a couple shops that build hardcore IFS systems for Toyota's (check out Diamond Axle/ Front Range Off Road's long travel IFS kit), so if you end up with a Toyota and future needs require hardcore performance, and you don't want to solid axle the rig, you do have options.

Enjoy!
No one said anything about racing. The Toyota truck just couldn't go with the jeep So like a lot of folks here have said it is what you want to do with that you need to focus on. I know from experience about both. You can haul more stuff in the toy. You can get into more places in the jeep both are great.

martnH

Toyota for overland long distance touring....

That said.....I drive a defender....she makes me happy and I don't mind the repairing/maintenance.....

Sent from my LG-H870DS using Tapatalk

Marine

Adventurer
My ultimate goal is to make multiple long distance road trips. South America and what not, but also need something for backcountry also, can't be missing hunting season. The deeper I can drive in the woods, the less I have to walk. Lol

MOguy

Explorer
My ultimate goal is to make multiple long distance road trips. South America and what not, but also need something for backcountry also, can't be missing hunting season. The deeper I can drive in the woods, the less I have to walk. Lol

For me the deciding factor would be the availability of parts and getting repairs while you travel.

JIMBO

Expedition Leader
:sombrero: Heh Heh, if you're a couch potato, never buy a jeep and--

If you want to fish/hunt/explore and go where most people can't--buy a jeep-

For comfy travel and carrying/hauling, getta pickup-

Now you have both, unless you want to fly somewhere--what more do you need ???

Whatever

:costumed-smiley-007:bike_rider: JIMBO

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles