Ford Escape e/x Build

OuterLimits

I control the horizontal and the vertical
I'm curious, and I apologize if you've mentioned this and I just missed it, what do you do for recovery points? That is the one thing about the VUE that has me stymied. I've got a tow hitch in the rear that should be good, but I can't, for the life of me, figure out what I would hook a recovery strap to up front!

I use a trailer hitch for backside recovery.

recovery.jpg

In the front, the Escape has two recovery points that extend out of the lower bumper cover.

recovery points.jpg

I pulled the bumper cover to give them a good examination.

I wouldn't want to use them for mud bog recovery, but they are much more robust than the small, welded, tie-down loops on many vehicles.

When performing a front end recovery, I use a standard tow strap to create a bridle. I hook up to one recovery point with a D-ring and a 20ft tow strap. I run the other end of the tow strap through the eye of the recovery strap, then attach the tow strap to the other recovery point. This creates a 10ft bridle that divides the recovery forces between the two recovery points. Attach the other end of recovery strap to recovery vehicle. (Recovery straps are designed to stretch during recovery. Tow straps do not stretch).

On your Vue, dig through your owners manual to see what it says regarding tie downs/being towed. Do some web surfing to see what others have done.

I would drive the front end up on some ramps so you can comfortably look around the front end for acceptable recovery options.

Pull off your bumper cover. See if there are any through-the-bumper options for recovery (may require cutting access holes in bumper cover).

Worse case scenario, you could bolt/weld some suitably strong material underneath.
dring.jpg

Create two points and use a bridle to distribute forces. Always error on the side of safety.

Get a deflator and 12v air compressor. Airing down will greatly reduce getting stuck. Carry with you a sturdy shovel and set or two of recovery boards. Depending on where you go and who you go with, you may be able to self extricate, without needing front recovery points. (Stay out of mud holes).

When I post up my recovery gear I will have more info on my setup.

Good luck

Last edited:

OuterLimits

INSPIRATION!!!

Love reading about all the stuff you've been able to do with this rig.

I appreciate your compliment and support.

Makes me look forward to the time when my '08 VUE needs new tires and I can slap a set of one-size-up A/T on it and go do some exploring!

“Love me long time” any Camel Trophy style Rover (Or any similarly **************’ rig) on an expedition. What’s not to like about a highly capable rig, the best gear money can buy, driven by highly experienced and talented explorers?

camel.jpg

With these role models it’s all too easy to adopt the mindset that you need a mega-buck build up with every gadget, gizmo, gee-gaw, and festoon, in order to have an epic adventure.

exp1.jpg

When I get caught in this mind-trap, I fire up YouTube and look to my Eastern European and Russian comrades for inspiration. These “bratans” go on some amazing adventures, driving some of the least reliable, biggest POS vehicles ever to fall off an assembly line.

ruski4.jpg

They slap on some stickers, toss in some gear, and go. These guys have amazing adventures and memories to last a lifetime.

ruski1.jpg

ruski2.jpg

ruski3.jpg

Let the inspiration begin!

For something a little more western, how about 15 Minis on the Dakar roads of Argentina.

Mini-Dakar-Adventure-1.jpg

Slap some ATs on your Vue, load some gear inside, and Go!!!

vue1.jpg

vue2.jpg

vue5.JPG

Good luck

Last edited:

balexander87

Observer
Nice! Thanks for the encouragement!

This model vue is based on the Opel/Vauxhall Antara sold overseas. There are several videos of them getting used hard :) then there's VUE's alter ego, the Antara Dakar rally car 😎

YtmMBVg.jpg

Q5MUd4Z.jpg

And the last diversion:

attachment.php

Last edited:

OuterLimits

Nice! Thanks for the encouragement!

This model vue is based on the Opel/Vauxhall Antara sold overseas. There are several videos of them getting used hard :) then there's VUE's alter ego, the Antara Dakar rally car.

Q5MUd4Z.jpg

I am a big Dakar fan. I watch the TV coverage every year. (wish it was run quarterly ;-) That's a cool ride!

I am aware of the Vue/Opel connection. Have you looked into sourcing aftermarket goodies from overseas Opel providers? If they are racing it, there is a chance some cool parts are available. I am a big proponent of skids, if you can get them. Also look for Opel forums that might have some helpful tips.

I had to get my skids from a 4x4 parts mfgr in Taiwan. I found out that they just recently quit making the skid plates for the Escape (glad I got mine when I did). They still have a really nice set of racing, adjustable rear lower control arms for $300 shipped. I would love to grab a set while they are still available, but hard to justify the expense, since I will not be lifting the Escape.

I recommend taking your Vue to the track for some drifting practice. That should polish off your stock tires so you can get some ATs mounted. :D

With some good rubber, Your Vue is practically a Jeep Rubicon compared to those sovietski-mobiles in the videos.

Last edited:

justbecause

perpetually lost
"run what you have"
"the best vehicle is the one you already own"

really good advice I have been trying to accept for years but daily I day dream about how much easier it would be, how much better life would be, if I just had "that" vehicle.

OuterLimits

"run what you have"

really good advice I have been trying to accept for years but daily I day dream about how much easier it would be, how much better life would be, if I just had "that" vehicle.

Amen brother.... Nothing wrong with dreaming. I think the secret is to not delay adventure simply because you don't have "that" vehicle.

"Dirty Dance with the one you got". And if by chance a sweet, sexy, new ride across the dance floor flashes her high-beams at you, then all bets are off ;-)

colintrax

I noticed you mentioned mounting the spare on the roof, don't have time to read the whole thread right now so maybe this is useless information.

None the less, ford sold the escapes with the standard doughnut tire in the back. However they had an option for a full size spare that mounts below (like a pickup truck) that also added additional storage under the floor where the doughnut spare goes.

So if you're not opposed to mounting a spare under the rig, it'd be worth researching to see if you can mount the spare down stairs.

OuterLimits

I noticed you mentioned mounting the spare on the roof, don't have time to read the whole thread right now so maybe this is useless information.

None the less, ford sold the escapes with the standard doughnut tire in the back. However they had an option for a full size spare that mounts below (like a pickup truck) that also added additional storage under the floor where the doughnut spare goes.

So if you're not opposed to mounting a spare under the rig, it'd be worth researching to see if you can mount the spare down stairs.

colintrax,

Mine came with a doughnut spare mounted outside-underneath and a massive block of space wasting plastic inside, under the rear storage area. The inside-spare storage area is being transformed into a tool/spares storage area.

I picked up an oem steelie and mounted another cooper at3. This is mounted outside, down under in the back. I had to replace the trailer hitch to allow a full size spare.

The roof rack spare is the 5th wheel in my tire rotation. Since my wheels are quasi-custom (textured powdercoat), I wanted to be sure I had an extra, in case I damage a wheel.

The roof rack spare allows me the luxury of two full sized spares for specific outings. Death Valley has a reputation for dishing out un-repairable side wall gashes. :eek:

Having two spares improves the odds of me getting in and out of the valley of death.

Matching your concern, I have no intention of running a roof mounted spare for DD. I will mount the spare up top on an ad-hoc basis, as the outing/conditions warrant.

I have future posts planned to address the rear storage area as well as the trailer hitch/spare tire/roof rack situation.

Glad to have you along for the ride.

Last edited:

colintrax

I had no idea they sold them with the doughnuts mounted under, that's good to know.

I look forward to seeing what you do with the storage area, it ain't much space but it really helps when packing the rig up.

ADVSubaru

Observer
"run what you have"

To me half the fun is treading new ground or doing something out of the norm and figuring out how to make things work ;)

ADVSubaru

Observer
Speaking of treading new ground... Anything new with your CRV?

Nothing at all. Other than all terrains, its destined to be a mommy mobile. In due time I will get an older Subaru and go to town on it. I will admit it is hard to fight the urges to go to town on the CRV.

OuterLimits

Nothing at all. Other than all terrains, its destined to be a mommy mobile. In due time I will get an older Subaru and go to town on it. I will admit it is hard to fight the urges to go to town on the CRV.

Be very, very careful my friend. You are treading on very sketchy ground.

You and I both know those ATs are a classic "gateway" upgrade. Pretty soon the CRV will be sporting a harmless little LED lightbar. Next thing you know you are looking at a skid plates, a winch, and a custom lift. (y)

Last edited:

SLICK78

Great Build! My girlfriend and I are planning to use our 2012 Escape to explore AK this summer. We have dreams of a RTT but its a base model with no roof rack. :( Maybe I'll just bite the bullet and take the stupid headliner out and get it over with...lol The only mods we have planned other than that are a set of General AT2s, a full sized spare, and some sort of auxiliary power. I'm interested to see how much space is under the plastic thingy in the rear cargo area, seems like a good spot for spare parts and tools.

SLICK78

Oh yeah! I almost forgot to ask, which trailer hitch did you use to allow room for the full size spare tire?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles