2nd Generation Tundra: 4.6 vs 5.7 advice

mrblah

Observer
Let me tell you my experience with getting a high-mileage 1st Gen Tundra. Be prepared to spend a lot in repairs. Mine is a 2005 Limited, bought at 170K miles. Things that had to be done since I bought it a little over two years ago: timing belt and water pump and radiator (~$1200), replace front differential (grenaded, ~$1200), head gasket repair and replace leaking manifolds (~$1500), replace front wheel bearings (~$500), replace LBJ's and tie rods (~$500), replace all worn out suspension components including coilovers and UCA's (~$1200...with nicer stuff of course).

-Kevin

Beside the diffs blowing out and the gaskets leaking, I would expect to replace all those parts on a 200k miles truck anyway so it's not a surprise for OP I'm sure.

toylandcruiser

Expedition Leader
Except that the Tundra's frame isn't really "HD" and all the so-called HD pickup trucks do in fact have boxed frames (Ford was the last holdout on that).

A lot of fig bigs and semi trailers do still use c-channels, but I suspect those trucks are being used and driven differently from something like a Ram 2500. Just carrying payload over a flat road, I don't have a problem with either construction method. Carrying payload over a rough 4wd track, I'd prefer the boxed frame any day of the week.

Most of the "big trucks" come with far more robust braking, exhaust brakes and integrated trailer brakes relative to a Tundra. The Tundra seems adequate for moderate loads, but 3/4 ton's and up seem better suited to such duties.

F450 and above still uses c channel. Las time I checked an f450 is heavier duty than an f350. I could be wrong.

bkg

Explorer
Comparing a tundra frame to vehicles outside of its class is a worthless exercise. While they conceptually both qualify as c-channel, that’s the end of the comparison. Tundra wall thickness is about .120 vs the HD trucks that are ~2x as thick and significantly “taller.”

Tundra is the only 1/2 ton truck to not adopt a boxed frame. That’s the only comparison that really matters

toylandcruiser

Expedition Leader
Comparing a tundra frame to vehicles outside of its class is a worthless exercise. While they conceptually both qualify as c-channel, that’s the end of the comparison. Tundra wall thickness is about .120 vs the HD trucks that are ~2x as thick and significantly “taller.”

Tundra is the only 1/2 ton truck to not adopt a boxed frame. That’s the only comparison that really matters

Because that’s the only thing you can use to support your ideals. That’s the only reason you made that claim. There is zero wrong with a c channel. People like you can never explain why it’s strong enough for one platform and not another. I’ll say it again. Stiffer is not stronger.

bkg

Explorer
Because that’s the only thing you can use to support your ideals. That’s the only reason you made that claim. There is zero wrong with a c channel. People like you can never explain why it’s strong enough for one platform and not another. I’ll say it again. Stiffer is not stronger.

It will never cease to amaze me that ford, dodge, Nissan,GM refuse to follow your lead. They clearly are way overpaying a bunch of engineers when all they need is a fanboy to set them straight. Think of the dollars saved!

toylandcruiser

Expedition Leader
It will never cease to amaze me that ford, dodge, Nissan,GM refuse to follow your lead. They clearly are way overpaying a bunch of engineers when all they need is a fanboy to set them straight. Think of the dollars saved!

Once again you can’t support your belief. Tell me why it’s stronger. Tell me why it’s ok for heavy duty trucks. You are so blind by your lust for a boxed frame you don’t realize it’s a fad. That’s it. How do they sell it? They say it’s stiff. That’s it. So tell me and the whole world why it’s stronger. I guarantee you will not respond with anything substantial other than you drank that koolaid.

bkg

Explorer
Once again you can’t support your belief. Tell me why it’s stronger. Tell me why it’s ok for heavy duty trucks. You are so blind by your lust for a boxed frame you don’t realize it’s a fad. That’s it. How do they sell it? They say it’s stiff. That’s it. So tell me and the whole world why it’s stronger. I guarantee you will not respond with anything substantial other than you drank that koolaid.

I didn’t claim it was anything other than foolish to compare a tundra to something outside of its class. Everyone but Toyota does something and you claim they are all wrong, eh? And I’m blinded by my beliefs?

Tell me what is similar between a tundra frame and a 1.25 ton truck that makes them worthy of comparison... since comparing in segment is irrelevant.

toylandcruiser

Expedition Leader
I didn’t claim it was anything other than foolish to compare a tundra to something outside of its class. Everyone but Toyota does something and you claim they are all wrong, eh? And I’m blinded by my beliefs?

Tell me what is similar between a tundra frame and a 1.25 ton truck that makes them worthy of comparison... since comparing in segment is irrelevant.

You constantly race the boxed frame. You damn the c channel. And you have never provided a reason why it’s better. Because the others do it is nothing other than it’s the newest fad. It’s not stronger. It’s not more resistant to corrosion. What other reason do you worship it other than it being the cool thing.

Well the comparison is simple. IT WORKS ON A HEAVIER DUTY TRUCK. Is that hard to understand? If it works and the frame of choice on heavy duty applications. Why wouldn’t it work on a light duty application? Tell me why it wouldn’t. Tell me why you never ever see a boxed frame on heavy duty applications.

rruff

Explorer
Well the comparison is simple. IT WORKS ON A HEAVIER DUTY TRUCK. Is that hard to understand? If it works and the frame of choice on heavy duty applications. Why wouldn't it work on a light duty application? Tell me why it wouldn't. Tell me why you never ever see a boxed frame on heavy duty applications.

When you have a frame designed to haul a heavy load, it's better to make it torsionally weak so the frame can flex instead of breaking, and the wheels can stay on the ground when you get crossed up.

Were any of the domestic trucks boxed until a few years ago? Toyota pickup frames *were* boxed until around 20 years ago. I think the foreign Hilux still is. They went in the opposite direction of the domestics for some reason.

Bottom line is that for lighter duty trucks you can do it either way. I'd prefer boxed, mostly because I then would not have to accommodate frame twist in my camper design, which mounts directly to the frame.

bkg

Explorer
You constantly race the boxed frame. You damn the c channel. And you have never provided a reason why it’s better. Because the others do it is nothing other than it’s the newest fad. It’s not stronger. It’s not more resistant to corrosion. What other reason do you worship it other than it being the cool thing.

Well the comparison is simple. IT WORKS ON A HEAVIER DUTY TRUCK. Is that hard to understand? If it works and the frame of choice on heavy duty applications. Why wouldn’t it work on a light duty application? Tell me why it wouldn’t. Tell me why you never ever see a boxed frame on heavy duty applications.

Again, you should apply to work at Ford. Since we are comparing the 1/2 ton to their 1.25 ton to just tidy decisions, it would be good to have you educate the f150 engineers on why they don’t need the high tensel boxed frame on the 150 because they don’t use one on the 750. You’d save them billions with your simple statement of “if a c channel is good enough for the 750, it’s good enough for the 150!” They’d fire the entire engineering staff, no doubt.

HD use cases have been discussed numerous times and you choose to ignore them, so why beat that dead horse again? I’ll ask you again - what is at all similar between the f450 and Tundra frame designs that make them a good comparison? Why are you so afraid of comparing the tundra only outside of its segment and ONLY when you can say “if it’s good enough for a non compatible application, its awesome for tundra because.”

And I’ll ask again... why does every other mfg NOT use a wet noodle for a frame in their 1/2 ton trucks?

Until you can answer any of those questions, your emotional tantrum is irrelevant. We ALL get that you worship at the throne of Toyota. That’s beyond clear. You don’t need t continually reinforce that one single fact.

bkg

Explorer
When you have a frame designed to haul a heavy load, it's better to make it torsionally weak so the frame can flex instead of breaking, and the wheels can stay on the ground when you get crossed up.

Were any of the domestic trucks boxed until a few years ago? Toyota pickup frames *were* boxed until around 20 years ago. I think the foreign Hilux still is. They went in the opposite direction of the domestics for some reason.

Bottom line is that for lighter duty trucks you can do it either way. I'd prefer boxed, mostly because I then would not have to accommodate frame twist in my camper design, which mounts directly to the frame.

Toyota only uses their hybrid frame design in us-spec. Ride quality was one reason given. I personally just think they like it when the bed dents the cab. Lol

toylandcruiser

Expedition Leader

There you go. It’s what you prefer. It’s not better. :)

toylandcruiser

Expedition Leader
Again, you should apply to work at Ford. Since we are comparing the 1/2 ton to their 1.25 ton to just tidy decisions, it would be good to have you educate the f150 engineers on why they don’t need the high tensel boxed frame on the 150 because they don’t use one on the 750. You’d save them billions with your simple statement of “if a c channel is good enough for the 750, it’s good enough for the 150!” They’d fire the entire engineering staff, no doubt.

HD use cases have been discussed numerous times and you choose to ignore them, so why beat that dead horse again? I’ll ask you again - what is at all similar between the f450 and Tundra frame designs that make them a good comparison? Why are you so afraid of comparing the tundra only outside of its segment and ONLY when you can say “if it’s good enough for a non compatible application, its awesome for tundra because.”

And I’ll ask again... why does every other mfg NOT use a wet noodle for a frame in their 1/2 ton trucks?

Until you can answer any of those questions, your emotional tantrum is irrelevant. We ALL get that you worship at the throne of Toyota. That’s beyond clear. You don’t need t continually reinforce that one single fact.

Well it’s not a wet noodle. . I don’t worship at the throne of Toyota. You’ve never met me. Don’t make assumptions. We all get you can’t help yourself but to come to a tundra thread and cry over how you wish they used a boxed frame. We get it. Your ignorance is getting the better of you. Go buy your coveted domestic truck with a box frame and move on with your life.

bkg

Explorer
Well it’s not a wet noodle. . I don’t worship at the throne of Toyota. You’ve never met me. Don’t make assumptions. We all get you can’t help yourself but to come to a tundra thread and cry over how you wish they used a boxed frame. We get it. Your ignorance is getting the better of you. Go buy your coveted domestic truck with a box frame and move on with your life.

So... you’re not going to answer my questions, again? K. Gotcha.

Funny how you claim to know so much about me and then take the position that your beliefs cannot be known... all from posts. That’s a great parlor trick.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles