2017 Ram 2500 - Post Divorce Therapy

Bayou Boy

Adventurer
Sounds like a crap design.

A system that draws cold air for the engine but automatically closes to keep water out of the intake while flowing more CFM than any aftermarket system is a crap design? What would make it better? Worse flow? Hotter air? Water in the engine?

Mine has worked perfectly for 65000 miles.

Tex68w

Beach Bum
For the sheer fact that you have no control over it and based upon what others have said, it's rarely actuated, so why have it? To have to cover an area during certain times of the year and under certain weather conditions sounds silly and unnecessary. In theory it sounds great, but it's a solution that creates a problem if you ask me.

Dalko43

Explorer
For the sheer fact that you have no control over it and based upon what others have said, it's rarely actuated, so why have it? To have to cover an area during certain times of the year and under certain weather conditions sounds silly and unnecessary. In theory it sounds great, but it's a solution that creates a problem if you ask me.

It could perhaps be a point of failure down the road. I haven't heard of it being a common problem for the Ram 2500/3500. With the way technology is trending now, such intake designs could very well become the norm in the years to come.

Bayou Boy

Adventurer

With that viewpoint I'm wondering how in the world someone talked you into a new Superduty, what must be one of the most complicated vehicles on the market today.

Jimbo12

It actuates a heck of a lot more for guys that are towing. The normal user that doesn't tow, won't see much, if any, operation. However, if you're in an off-road setting, I could easily see it being used due to engine temps, etc.

Tex68w

Beach Bum
Regardless, no one else is doing this, it's a fix for a problem that doesn't exist in most designs. If that particular truck is failing to get proper air flow and cooling under certain conditions then the design should be executed in favor of improving those needs without creating some sort of silly band-aide fix. Engineering 101, K.I.S.S-Keep It Simple Stupid.

Regcabguy

Oil eater.
With that viewpoint I'm wondering how in the world someone talked you into a new Superduty, what must be one of the most complicated vehicles on the market today.

My neighbor bought a new 2017 leftover. I asked him how he like the rig. His reply was "this thing's one giant computer.!"
The 6.7 Fords are very quick trucks.

Explorerinil

Observer
Regardless, no one else is doing this, it's a fix for a problem that doesn't exist in most designs. If that particular truck is failing to get proper air flow and cooling under certain conditions then the design should be executed in favor of improving those needs without creating some sort of silly band-aide fix. Engineering 101, K.I.S.S-Keep It Simple Stupid.

Your KISS does not apply to ford 6.7... that truck is far more complex and has far more stuff to go bad than a ram cummins.

Bayou Boy

Adventurer

This statement is hilarious sitting right on top of your signature with a brand new Superduty in it. Lots of irony there.
But as an aside, traveling in these newer trucks is significantly more comfortable than anything older and the flip side of that is the increased complexity inherent in them. I wouldn't trade my 4th gen Ram for an older one for anything and I'm sure you'd say the same thing about your Superduty.

bknudtsen

Expedition Leader
Man! You guys thoroughly derailed the OP’s build thread. I couldn’t even remember what it was about... wow.

Big Ern

Thuren makes awesome stuff, I have been running his parts since he was a member on pavementsucks and started making parts. I ran his 2 inch coils on my 14 2500, handled awesome rode great.

Hi Guys,

Update: I spoke with Aaron at Thuren. Heck of a nice guy and unbelievably helpful. Based on my wants/requirements/anticipated usage, he thought their King 2.0 complete system would be the best system for me. Also, recommended the rear track bar. I am gonna order the system this week. The refreshing part of my discussion (and the ultimate reason I decided to go with Thuren) is that I flatly told him that money was not an issue and that if the King 2.5 would be better I don't have a problem spending the $$. He told me that based on what I am gonna use the truck for, the 2.0 King system would be great.

Tex68w

Beach Bum
This statement is hilarious sitting right on top of your signature with a brand new Superduty in it. Lots of irony there.
But as an aside, traveling in these newer trucks is significantly more comfortable than anything older and the flip side of that is the increased complexity inherent in them. I wouldn't trade my 4th gen Ram for an older one for anything and I'm sure you'd say the same thing about your Superduty.

Yea, such much irony huh?! I've had three 6.7 equipped trucks and not a single issue. Practically every company truck down here runs them, half of my family and friends, TXDOT, construction companies, oil companies, etc. and very few complaints or major issues, yet Dodge still can't put a front end or tranny in their trucks that'll stay together long enough for the warranty to expire. Get out of here with the ******** measuring contest on which brand is better, I really don't care.

Regcabguy

Oil eater.
Hi Guys,

Update: I spoke with Aaron at Thuren. Heck of a nice guy and unbelievably helpful. Based on my wants/requirements/anticipated usage, he thought their King 2.0 complete system would be the best system for me. Also, recommended the rear track bar. I am gonna order the system this week. The refreshing part of my discussion (and the ultimate reason I decided to go with Thuren) is that I flatly told him that money was not an issue and that if the King 2.5 would be better I don't have a problem spending the $$. He told me that based on what I am gonna use the truck for, the 2.0 King system would be great.

That's what's good about Thuren. They ask what your goals are and don't try and oversell you. The 2.0's should be fine.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles