Old's Cool

CorkOrangutan

I've had my almost completely stock 85 4Runner, Timothy, since highschool and I've been mocked more than once for it not "having enough balls"... After spending several weeks at a time living out of the back of it, I fully intend to drive it until the wheels fall off. At which point I will bolt them right back on and repeat until I die. I bought it with 114k on the clock from the original owner back in California who used it as his bike shuttle and to drive all over the Yucatan Peninsula.
I absolutely love where you started this thread. Living in the city (or even as I write this, a parking lot in Moab) and having to occasionally explain to my coworkers "I think I showered last week?" or "why would I buy a new truck? Mines fine, the muffler just fell off a little and the heater works almost as good as a candle" it's gotten kinda easy to forget there are actually people in Utah dirtbagging it around and putting 10 grand into gas and beer instead of solar panels and overpriced outdoorsy pants.
Anyways, come this summer when my lease is up, I'll be rejoining my fellow houseless bums on the road, welding on industrial shutdowns 7 12s at a time wherever I can find work and going wherever the hell I want/can, living out of my lovely Timothy (or whatever seedy motel my per diem might put me up in when I need a shower and a matress).

Attachments

• IMG_1551[1].jpg
    IMG_1551[1].jpg
    580.5 KB · Views: 83
  • image (2).jpeg
    image (2).jpeg
    180 KB · Views: 81
  • IMG_0918[1].jpg
    IMG_0918[1].jpg
    571 KB · Views: 83
  • asset.jpeg
    asset.jpeg
    76.6 KB · Views: 491

Nikkshepherd

Observer
I've had my almost completely stock 85 4Runner, Timothy, since highschool and I've been mocked more than once for it not "having enough balls"... After spending several weeks at a time living out of the back of it, I fully intend to drive it until the wheels fall off. At which point I will bolt them right back on and repeat until I die. I bought it with 114k on the clock from the original owner back in California who used it as his bike shuttle and to drive all over the Yucatan Peninsula.
I absolutely love where you started this thread. Living in the city (or even as I write this, a parking lot in Moab) and having to occasionally explain to my coworkers "I think I showered last week?" or "why would I buy a new truck? Mines fine, the muffler just fell off a little and the heater works almost as good as a candle" it's gotten kinda easy to forget there are actually people in Utah dirtbagging it around and putting 10 grand into gas and beer instead of solar panels and overpriced outdoorsy pants.
Anyways, come this summer when my lease is up, I'll be rejoining my fellow houseless bums on the road, welding on industrial shutdowns 7 12s at a time wherever I can find work and going wherever the hell I want/can, living out of my lovely Timothy (or whatever seedy motel my per diem might put me up in when I need a shower and a matress).

Love the philosophy, Love the truck. See you out there man! Btw Gemini bridges there in Moab is pretty doable in a beat up old truck. Took my old runner up it a few years back. Such a blast. Also there is some BLM land just outside of town for free camping with incredible night time views of the sky!

CorkOrangutan

Love the philosophy, Love the truck. See you out there man! Btw Gemini bridges there in Moab is pretty doable in a beat up old truck. Took my old runner up it a few years back. Such a blast. Also there is some BLM land just outside of town for free camping with incredible night time views of the sky!

Oh yeah I've camped all over the place out there the last few years and I've got my spots. I can't remember if I've done Gemini Bridges, but I just got home from Chicken Corners this morning.

CorkOrangutan

Excuse me sir but my photography is as amazing as an on sale fifth of Evan Williams bourbon.
In that it's basically garbage, but you've gotten this far and there's really no turning back now...
Also thank you for lovin' on the stock *** steelies. I love them too much to switch to 16" things

Crenshaw

Adventurer
Anyone in here running a softopper + ladder rack setup on their pickup? I'm really starting to consider selling the Wildernest to someone who will use it more and have always like the versatility of a soft top. My use absolutely requires a roof rack, even just a standard Yakima setup, I'm not hauling a bunch of jerry cans or spare tires ever, just surfboards and kayaks/rafting gear nearly every day in the summer.

Any interest in a good condition Wildernest? It could use a little love on some cracking beginning in the bed area but some basic glass repair would do the trick. I truly hate to get rid of it, but we're using it less every year and I really would like to use my truck to haul stuff once in a while and moving the 'nest on and off is unreasonable.

sjxj

Observer
Anyone in here running a softopper + ladder rack setup on their pickup? I'm really starting to consider selling the Wildernest to someone who will use it more and have always like the versatility of a soft top. My use absolutely requires a roof rack, even just a standard Yakima setup, I'm not hauling a bunch of jerry cans or spare tires ever, just surfboards and kayaks/rafting gear nearly every day in the summer.

Any interest in a good condition Wildernest? It could use a little love on some cracking beginning in the bed area but some basic glass repair would do the trick. I truly hate to get rid of it, but we're using it less every year and I really would like to use my truck to haul stuff once in a while and moving the 'nest on and off is unreasonable.

Sent you a PM.

Nikkshepherd

Observer
I’d love to have one that didn’t require so much work. I’ve been working on mine for months now.

zqpt5yZ.jpg

Crenshaw

Adventurer
Holy moly, I'm glad I didn't have to deal with that. When I got mine it was missing the lid springs, but other than that was ready to rock.

Crenshaw

Adventurer
Where do the rear bumpers end up on these trucks? I swear the last 3 or 4 I've had either had nothing or some cobbled together redneck welding project...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles