2017 Ram 2500 - Post Divorce Therapy

Regcabguy

Oil eater.
AEV 3” Dual Sport Suspension, wheels, tires and snow plow limiting straps done...still need to do the ProCal adjustments but getting there. Also got two new batteries installed under warranty due to the battery saver message I was getting. Also lining up a powder coater to make the wheel trim rings match the wheels.

82ed9a5a5d4af9d6bd7e55992d243c97.jpg

d23b12156b471b2110b507d5f3bc314a.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Looks good. Even the snow looks appetizing for someone from dry,dry San Diego. My buddy's got your wheel in silver. Perfect backspacing for his '05

jerstw

Adventurer
Nice new truck Spence! I loved your old Cummins too. You still in CO? I did a big loop through there this fall. I love Colorado more every time I go there!

Jerstw: You are also going to have a beauty! I've just done 35s and Thuren coils with Bilsteins on my 3500, but if I didn't have the truck camper I'd do 37s. I like the look of the Saltas on your rig without the trim ring, but it may not look as good in person? As for tires, BFGs are great. I won't risk them on my 3500, but maybe you'll have good luck? I run the Cooper STmaxx on my 3500 and they are the best tire I've ever run. I just put a set on my Land Cruiser too. I got double the life out of the Coopers than I did with my previous Toyo ATs. Keep us posted on how the KO2s treat you. My phobia of them is from the KOs, and only on a diesel. They gave me 5 years of life on the Toyota Land Cruiser, and it's close to 6,000 lbs empty.

Thanks Redthis. So far the trim rings have stayed off but will put them on one side to see if I like it in the next week or so as I never got them to the powder coater when I was planning to. I wish I would have spent more time considering the ST Maxx Coopers, you're the 2nd person now that said they work and wear well. I have all of 35 miles on mine since I got it back and the ride and road noise are fine but the KO2's didn't balance out worth a $---. Getting two of them replaced next week to see if that helps with the vibration I now have; nothing major just minor annoyance. How did your Cooper's balance out? Thuren makes nice stuff, I took the advice of one of the guys on the AEV Forum and used their alignment specs on mine....so far I am liking it.

jerstw

Adventurer
Thanks Regcabguy. Yeah, we were supposed to get 8" - 10" last Thursday into Friday but the front moved south so just got 6 F temp and some wind; would have rather had the snow than the cold temp so San Diego sounds pretty good about now.

I have to agree, after the Method's on my 1500 sticking out a bit too far for my tastes these Salta's fit the wheel wells, flares, etc. exactly as I was hoping they would. I have seen a few folks running the Salta's on the pre-2010 HD Ram's and they look great. Looking forward to seeing if AEV comes out with some new / revised styles in the future.

jerstw

Adventurer
So, picked up the truck yesterday and overall things are good...they even detailed it inside and out for me (bonus). First thing I noticed...ride is good, steering responsiveness is decent for something on 37's and overall stance is exactly what I was wanting. As mentioned previously two tires are getting replaced due to "excessive weight required" to balance out. The AEV ProCal did its job...speedometer is accurate, the fog lights are now set up to stay on with high-beams and the TPSI's are set for 35psi and zero warning messages in the EVIC.

The only down side, with the auto 68re, 37's and stock 3.42 gears all the smile inducing torque has been 'muted'...enough so I may hold off on the bumper and Warn 16.5 ti-S and do the gears sooner. Need to recover from Christmas a bit but 4.10's or 4.30's are in it's future.

Nothing too exciting last night and today...got the Thule feet and cross bars installed, Packasport Cargo Carrier mounted up, put the allen head wheel trim bolts in the wheels, installed the Leer roof top cargo net (not exactly what I was expecting, but we shall she how it functions in the spring), re-torqued the wheels and refilled my DEF for the first time at 3,075 miles. Only housekeeping item left is recheck the tire pressure in the morning as we are supposed to get to -5 to -10 overnight.

8648600fa6419aeac8e8212541bfc3e1.jpg

e546a89ffd1b9600564754dabac639eb.jpg

jerstw

Adventurer
LOL, yeah, suppose that would help address the situation. At some point tweaking the Cummins might be a consideration but too much other stuff on the priority list at the moment.

tyv12

Adventurer
Had lots of balancing issues with ko2 tires, replaced 1 right off the bad and had them take up
To 5oz per side to balance then had a set replaced under warrenty cuz they came out of round in under 10000km, tried coopers and they took 1-2 oz so seems the quality control is better from cooper

Copperhead14

Observer
I ran the cooper st maxx on my jk unlimited, those are some great tires.
For gears, you might look for a wrecked gas truck with 4.10’s

Tex68w

Beach Bum
I too thoroughly enjoyed the Cooper STT Pro's I ran on my last truck, definitely a winner and at a good price point.

jerstw

Adventurer
Why is the regearing going to happen so quick, did MPG take a bigger hit than planned?

What Bayou and Beta said...truck feels like a pooch now, but too be expected.

Regarding MPG, with only 3,200 miles on the truck at this point the Cummins still has some “breaking in to do”, so I have been told. Prior to the suspension I was getting between 18.5 and 20 MPG on the highway. With the tires, topper and cargo box on a 120 mile all highway drive home yesterday I ended up about 14.9 MPG. Would like to end up around 16.5 MPG or better when all is said and done (break in, gears, bumper, winch, etc.).

Dalko43

Explorer
What Bayou and Beta said...truck feels like a pooch now, but too be expected.

Regarding MPG, with only 3,200 miles on the truck at this point the Cummins still has some “breaking in to do”, so I have been told. Prior to the suspension I was getting between 18.5 and 20 MPG on the highway. With the tires, topper and cargo box on a 120 mile all highway drive home yesterday I ended up about 14.9 MPG. Would like to end up around 16.5 MPG or better when all is said and done (break in, gears, bumper, winch, etc.).

I would think that with the big tires (37's right?) and stock 3.42 gearing, your RPM's are less than optimal. With a re-gear, you should expect a little bit of mpg regained.

Also, did you reprogram the ECU (odometer) for the bigger tire size?

All things considered, 19-20mpg highway is pretty damn good for a stock 3/4 ton truck. Some gasoline v6's hardly get much better.

jerstw

Adventurer
Yep, the suspension kit from AEV comes with their ProCal device...used it to adjust for tire size, set the tire sensor / warnings for 35 psi, and to keep the fog lights on with the high beams. Slick little tool.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles