What do you use for a truck gun?

I've always romanticized the "truck gun", but in reality the gun that I actually keep in my truck is a Ruger LCP locked under the front seat. The other gun I sometimes bring is a VZ 2008. Has the folding stock, built like a freaking tank. Uses 7.62x39. Good 300 yard accuracy.

trecash6850

Every vehicle has a truck gun. Sig MPX in the LR3 and M1 carbine para in the Series.
e9916fef28647912024dfc36c59f6a9b.jpg
22ed1b1700c607fdec165958e7b02af6.jpg

Sent from my E6810 using Tapatalk

RyanT

I've always romanticized the "truck gun", but in reality the gun that I actually keep in my truck is a Ruger LCP locked under the front seat. The other gun I sometimes bring is a VZ 2008. Has the folding stock, built like a freaking tank. Uses 7.62x39. Good 300 yard accuracy.

This is kinda how I come down. Nothing against a rifle, but I've just been carrying my M&P 9mm in the truck with me...

Dalko43

Explorer
This is kinda how I come down. Nothing against a rifle, but I've just been carrying my M&P 9mm in the truck with me...

Yep, I know people like to talk about their truck guns like they're on deployment, but I really don't see the need or practicality for having a dedicated truck rifle unless you're dealing with animal management (hog control comes to mind) or you're living in/visiting a genuinely unsafe area (Sudan, Somalia, Syria, ect.).

If people want to kit their trucks out with all types of firearms, that's their call (and nor am I saying any law-abiding citizen should be forbidden from doing so). I drive and explore a fair bit of the northeast, to include NY and Ontario Canada. I have a variety of gun regulations to deal with, so a short barrel AR-type weapon just isn't practical, or legal.

If able, I'd prefer to have a a decent sidearm (.45 acp or .40s&w is a safe bet, since I'm honestly more concerned about picnic-raiding black bears or irate moose more than anything else). If a sidearm isn't allowed, a 12 gauge pump with 00 Buck is my go-to "truck gun." And even at that, I'd really only consider bringing that along for an extended hunting trip in the remote parts of Ontario (where black bear and eastern wolves can get a little aggressive).

Ultimately, the best weapon system to have in your vehicle is the one you're comfortable carrying around.

dusmw

Carry a lever action rifle (357 or 45 colt unless deer season then 30-30 or 35 Rem) and spare 9mm pistol all the time in my truck. These are kept locked in a strong box bolted to the truck under rear seat.

Travel extensively in the Midwest/Mountain West. I also carry a sidearm concealed unless prohibited, in our State that is just K-12, county jail, and federal buildings. City, county, state, and public universities are all open to concealed carry.

I carry a firearm, a FAK, shovel, fire extinguisher, tow strap, high lift, and wear a seat belt. These are all tools to support me in the event they they are needed. Twice I have deployed my rifle once to remove a coyote stalking a newborn calf and once for a groundhog that was living under a barn and we couldn't get close enough to handle with a shovel or handgun.

they are tools no different than a winch, skid plate, lights, or wrenches and when needed most folks are damn glad someone has one available!

SilicaRich

Wandering Inverted
they are tools no different than a winch, skid plate, lights, or wrenches and when needed most folks are damn glad someone has one available!
That might be the best definition you can give most firearms today and how people use them.

brentbba

Explorer
Just picked up another option for a truck gun. New to me Glock 19 (gen 3 - this is California folks, we can't get the Gen 4 or 5).

perterra

Adventurer
Ditto, then telling the world about it here. Hey criminals! Looking for a free :ar15: ? Just rummage through any lifted 4x4 and it might be your lucky day!

A bunch of these appear to be NFA guns. That would mean they are quite possibly selective fire.

Last edited:

Jc1986.carter

I’m surprised that the Ruger Gunsite scout hasn’t been mentioned more. It fits the bill. .308 (7.62x51), bolt action, detachable magazine shortish barrel options (16 and 18”). I just traded a m1a for one due to moving to a states that isn’t towards friendly towards firearms. Great general purpose rifle.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles