Headlights! What have you done?

steve4wdaus

4WDaus "tralia"
Hi everyone
Would love some feedback on what fellow Mitsubishi forum members have done on this issue please.

I own a FG649 (possibly same as FG140 in US) with headlights as shown in the photo. I love the LED light bar, but suffer night blindness when switching from hi beam to low beam due to the colour and brightness difference particularly the LED light bar.
82C84203-B77B-4141-8669-B0A0E5F1192F.jpg
NB new LED light bar replaced the Hellas in this photo.

I have upgraded the OEM lights to the brightest available, honestly I am disappointed with the result. I have considered looking at the led h4 on eBay but I suspect these may be less than good as well.

I hope someone may have some better ideas to consider? So what is your experience?
Thank you in advance
Steve

Karl of Oz

Observer
I got NARVA Extreme HID combo beam. No light bar. They seem to work pretty good. Of course like any light, when you dip them things can be a bit of a challenge for a while!
Issue 025 of "Unsealed 4x4" (27th June 2016.....its an on line mag) gives a good write up on different types of lights and compares their beams etc including measuring their output at distances.

steve4wdaus

4WDaus "tralia"
Nope... the FG140 is comparable to the FG84, which I think has very decent OEM lights.

BTW, this topic has been covered previously.

http://forum.expeditionportal.com/threads/148450-FG-headlights-suck-Suggestions
http://forum.expeditionportal.com/t...ting-some-pics-of-my-FG?p=1429499#post1429499

Sadly I would have preferred the 5x7 inch lights shown in these threads, but the later FG649 here have a single (double light unit). I guess 1 possible solution is to find out if the over light could bolt on and then purchase 5x7 inch leds.

skippythedog

Observer
Meh....the "Previous coverage" of the topic is insufficient and outdated....I'd like to see info on the larger units in the 07 and later FG's....such as what LED lights will fit....In my truck I run a quad set of Rigid LEDs in the custom bumper. I'm considering putting 3000 kelvin (yellow) LEDs in the stock headlights or even white LEDs with yellow LED bulbs to replace the DRL bulbs which are nearly as bright as my low beams....might make for good fogs (though mounted a bit high)....I really enjoy the yellow lights in the NW as there's virtually no returned glare in heavy rain and very little in snow.

SkiFreak

Crazy Person
As I have said previously, the OEM headlights in my 2010 FG84 are, in my opinion, pretty good and I have never considered the need to upgrade them. I also run a set of Narva Extreme 9" driving lights (1 x Spot and 1 x Spread) and when I dip them there is still plenty of light to see the road. Obviously, the longer the driving lights are on the more your eyes get used to that amount of light, so there will always be some period of adjustment required when the light sources change.

Having never owned a FG649 or FG639 I have no idea how those headlights perform, so it is difficult for me to draw direct comparisons or make any specific upgrade suggestions. However, I am pretty sure there would be some after-market units that would fit the available space, even if they were not a direct bolt in replacement.

I have eluded to another option previously, that being to park the truck when it gets dark and not to drive at night, as that fixes the problem 100%. :wings:

Reddogtheo

Observer
Hi steve. I have had the same problems I run close to the same as you not great yet sufficient . I did install the so called ants pants LEDs and found them worse from Hi to Low and had a major wildlife problem Kangaroos seamed to jump into the path of the LEDs not sure why maybe colour rendering or they were dazed by the brightness at close range .
I took them out after 5 days and returned to the old setup.

Mick

steve4wdaus

4WDaus "tralia"
Hi Mick
Interesting about the Roos - I have just replaced the headlights in my wife's GQ patrol - found a 7 inch round headlight which has proven amazing. But as you point out it is 6000k - might trial it to see how the roos around here go with them. But this is what started my on the poor lights in the FG649. I have looked at upgrading the lamps with LED from Ebay - but I am quite skeptical on what you get. It could be more the lamp fitting itself is not suitable to upgraded lamp as well. Anyway - interested to hear people experiences.
Merry Christmas Mick
Steve

Hi steve. I have had the same problems I run close to the same as you not great yet sufficient . I did install the so called ants pants LEDs and found them worse from Hi to Low and had a major wildlife problem Kangaroos seamed to jump into the path of the LEDs not sure why maybe colour rendering or they were dazed by the brightness at close range .
I took them out after 5 days and returned to the old setup.

Mick

Reddogtheo

Observer
Hi Steve
I somehow have found that maybe with the noise of the truck and the marginal lighting Roos seem to hop in away from the truck while traveling at 80/90kph . I do live in an area where 20 to 30 roos per evening are present by the sides of the road. Never did one hop towards the truck till I fitted the LEDs then I all hell Broke loose, now that is back too sufficient no more roo problem.
On strange note some bloke charges $50.00 to backpackers gives them a map and a train ticket and sends them up from Sydney so they can see roos in the wild ,making a fortune. Charges extra to give a bag of bird seed to feed them even though the poor creatures should only be given grass. Its turned into the biggest rout in town even the local bus company has jumped in if the roos charging for round trip bus rides .Can only happen in Aus.

Thanks Mick

Bris31

Adventurer
On strange note some bloke charges $50.00 to backpackers gives them a map and a train ticket and sends them up from Sydney so they can see roos in the wild ,making a fortune. Charges extra to give a bag of bird seed to feed them even though the poor creatures should only be given grass. Its turned into the biggest rout in town even the local bus company has jumped in if the roos charging for round trip bus rides .Can only happen in Aus.

Thanks Mick

and i.e the free market rule ~ demand and supply :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles