Dice...... The 1978 Jeep Wagoneer

Dr. Marneaus

Station Wagoneer
Thanks Doc! Definitely will remove the ammeter wiring...... go to a one-wire alternator....... rely on a voltmeter to monitor the charge.....
Lockers/LSDs are in the future...... may go to a 3.9X gear with 33s...... if it feels sluggish.
Rear window wiring is going to be a priority....... also thinking about going manual....... a little more foolproof.....
Thanks for commenting....... I learned a lot from your thread!

DO NOT buy any "new" manual tailgate system, the currently produced ones are absolute junk and will strip out ASAP. for a few bucks in wiring and relays you'll be able to put in a fool proof system.

http://www.fsjnetwork.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=13549

SOAZ

Tim and Kelsey get lost..
Very good. I think you've got a pretty bulletproof setup! Yep, ol Tonto is a 76.

Speaking of spare tires...
http://www.off-road.com/aimages/articlestandard/jeep/502005/259512/article.html
w-rees01.jpg

http://www.drbob.tqhosting.com/cherokee/1978_chero_carrier.html
carrier02.jpg

IMG_0308_zpsk9r2xnuw.jpg

and if you made it this far... Whatever you do...
24fc0b11f7ea5baa65b350e474d21dc3.jpg

IMG_0308_zpsk9r2xnuw.jpg.html

DGarman

What could go wrong?

Curly

Adventurer
Here is my dual swing bumper set up.

Attachments

• resize bumper pic.jpg
    resize bumper pic.jpg
    137 KB · Views: 40
  • 100_5878.jpg
    100_5878.jpg
    575.4 KB · Views: 42

Dr. Marneaus

Station Wagoneer
there are a number of after market bumpers available now (SBF has been working with BJ's), I debated loooooong about what to do. For a while I just had my spare tire laying down underneath a cargo cover I made, but got sick of losing storage be haing some unusable space under the cargo cover.

IMG_1863.jpg

I ended up ordering an interior tire carrier from a forum vendor, and it was the best $90 I have ever spent on the jeep. It fits a 33 perfect, but you cannot go any larger.

4A842760-0852-4FD1-8869-96863D102086.jpg

016A683F-7F25-4F72-B741-A7F4E28CF50D.jpg

3814C876-7FC2-435F-961A-6854D089D62A.jpg

DGarman

What could go wrong?
I ended up ordering an interior tire carrier from a forum vendor, and it was the best $90 I have ever spent on the jeep. It fits a 33 perfect, but you cannot go any larger.

016A683F-7F25-4F72-B741-A7F4E28CF50D.jpg

I really like that idea..... I have the spare under the platform in my Bronco..... but I've gotten to like the platform set-up less and less.
It's just me and a dog on trips..... back seat is getting jettisoned..... we only need a couple of totes and an ice chest pretty much..... lots of room for our stuff and an upright spare tire.
I've got a fabrication background..... just need to roll the spare around..... see where it fits best!
Thanks Doc!

Grenadiers

Adventurer
Thanks Tim....... I don't have anything to add....... just wanted to quote a "ton" of photos.......

Well, whatever, I've seen posts on so many forums where there's 20 photos and someone quotes it, and bingo, 'hey, great job'. Whatever floats the boat I guess.

DGarman

What could go wrong?
Mark me down as another one who likes the idea of the spare inside. :)

Dice still has the stock spare mount underneath..... could fit a 30" maybe..... but I'm afraid any tire mounted there will get abused more than if it was mounted on the Wag!

Dr. Marneaus

Station Wagoneer
Dice still has the stock spare mount underneath..... could fit a 30" maybe..... but I'm afraid any tire mounted there will get abused more than if it was mounted on the Wag!

Likely won't get abused, unless you are doing so bizarre departure angle things.

The reason I don't like an under mounted spare is....it could be kinda tough to get at in the event you need it in a trail.

Curly

Adventurer
Quote: The reason I don’t like an under mounted spare is....it could be kinda tough to get at in the event you need it in a trail. "

That is why I went with my bumper mount. After I bought my Cherokee, I went to remove the spare and there wasn't enough room to lower the spare tire holder to let the spare come out. I had to jack up the jeep to get it out. Granted, it was a 33 inch tire and the PO had modified the carrier to hold it. With one tire flat, it wasn't going to come out.

curly

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles