New version of Gaia GPS released

MountainBiker

Experience Seeker
I've been unable to sync with the cloud for many weeks now, reported the problem and they say "were working on it". I hope they fix it soon!

The Raven

hey do need to fix the speed at which the Nat Geo Maps load. That and integrate spotwalla tracking into thier system

wADVr

Adventurer
I have been using GAIA since probably the beginning, anyone remember when they got cut off from using maps through Trimble or whatever that was about? I was hesitant about the subscription model but the added layers are nice and understand things change and models must change to keep up with the times. I certainly got my $20 worth way back when.

The newer version is faster and seems higher resolution also really like being able to fade the layers so multiple show up. I mainly use Google maps and the USGS topo blended to show elevation and exposure (forested, clear cut unmarked roads etc) Also use the Hunting GMU map overlay, only wish it showed the number code along with the name (I am a numbers person)

About a year ago one of my friends suggested Hema Maps. I wasn't too impressed and thought it was interesting that the dashboard (or template) seemed the same as GAIA, maybe its a standard deal. Anyway I'm sticking with GAIA. Glad their still being competitive.

IdaSHO

IDACAMPER
Im loving ours.

I picked up a second have 128gig Iphone 6 to use as a dedicated GPS, using Gaia

Mostly using it for backpacking, with one of the USGS topo maps.

Fooling around with it the other day, I managed to zoom in far enough on the private property map, only to find actual property ownership info!
Id never zoomed in far enough before, I guess. But super cool.

Always shopping real-estate, this should come in very handy :ylsmoke:

1Louder

Explorer
Is there a www site that lists all the changes for this new version?

Is this a regular update? Or is this considered the redesigned version similar to the redesign of the ios version recently?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

The play store shows the details and a blog post at blog.gaiagps.com will be posted soon. This is a redesigned version which makes the user interface as close to iOS as it can be.

What's New
7.0.1 contains many small bug fixes, for the big 7.0 update.
7.0 Changes:
* shared folders - share/sync trip plans (or any data in a folder) with other Gaia GPS users
* faster and more robust data sync
* improved UI, with bottom tab bar and other improvements, and polished login/register and onboarding
* design improvements, including better icons

Superduty

Adventurer
The play store shows the details and a blog post at blog.gaiagps.com will be posted soon. This is a redesigned version which makes the user interface as close to iOS as it can be.

What's New
7.0.1 contains many small bug fixes, for the big 7.0 update.
7.0 Changes:
* shared folders - share/sync trip plans (or any data in a folder) with other Gaia GPS users
* faster and more robust data sync
* improved UI, with bottom tab bar and other improvements, and polished login/register and onboarding
* design improvements, including better icons
When selecting an area to download, Do you know if you will be able to see the area you previously downloaded.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

trailbehind

email support@gaiagps.com if you have a sync issue

If you are having any trouble with syncing your account, please contact support@gaiagps.com, and we'll get it sorted out. Please do Settings->Send Logs, and comment in the email, that generates. (This is Andrew Johnson, the CEO).

I still can't sync with the new release. Sync has been broken for several months now...

I haven't observed that functionality. it would be nice though!

dstock

Explorer
Tried to run the new version on Android 4.1.2 and it crashes upon launch. Hardware is a couple years old Samsung Galaxy Tab 2.

trailbehind

issue with Gaia GPS on Android 4.12

Hey there,

If you want to send a note in to support@gaiagps.com and let us know your account email address, we'll check out the issue.

1) It's possible your issue is fixed in v7.0.1 (which came out tail end of last week), or in v7.0.2 (which was pushed to beta on the Play Store today, but isn't live unless you opt into beta testing). Both of those included Android 4.1 fixes.

2) Our plan is to fix crashes in 4.1 that are simple to fix, but we are considering bumping the minimum version to 4.4. v4.1 is a five years old at this point, so we try and make it work, but it's hard to go that far back.

Regards,
Andrew Johnson
CEO, Gaia GPS

Tried to run the new version on Android 4.1.2 and it crashes upon launch. Hardware is a couple years old Samsung Galaxy Tab 2.

dstock

Explorer
Hey there,

If you want to send a note in to support@gaiagps.com and let us know your account email address, we'll check out the issue.

1) It's possible your issue is fixed in v7.0.1 (which came out tail end of last week), or in v7.0.2 (which was pushed to beta on the Play Store today, but isn't live unless you opt into beta testing). Both of those included Android 4.1 fixes.

2) Our plan is to fix crashes in 4.1 that are simple to fix, but we are considering bumping the minimum version to 4.4. v4.1 is a five years old at this point, so we try and make it work, but it's hard to go that far back.

Regards,
Andrew Johnson
CEO, Gaia GPS

Thanks for the info! I'll give it a go.

Totally understand on supporting old OS's, not easy when they are changing all the time.

dstock

Explorer
Thanks for the info! I'll give it a go.

Totally understand on supporting old OS's, not easy when they are changing all the time.

I tried both versions (current and beta) on the 4.1.2 tablet and both crashed upon launch. I did sign up for a premium subscription as I do have a Pixel XL running android 8.1 and Gaia does not crash on it. However the bigger screen of the tablet is preferred. I do like the integration of the Nat Geo maps which is why opted to go premium.

I also have to say the quick response from Andrew above is extremely appreciated from an app maker these days and that's why they get my $$

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles