Gap IID Tool: First go.

LKLK

Well, I decided to bite the bullet and purchase the gap IID Bluetooth and give it a go. I had some issues on the LR3 that needed attending to that the "good ole' craftsman obd reader" couldn't fix.

-First, I updated the vehicles ecu' and was going to work on the tpms fault. Turns out the flash fixed the error.

-Next up was a constant pain that I had dealt with for over a year, parking brake sensor sounding off after installing a Tactical Rovers front bumper. Found that the front left sensor was being triggered, adjusted it, now fixed.

-Last was the gps mod that allowed input while driving. A nice touch.

All in all... not bad, just still dealing with the sticker shock about the price of the product. If you were thinking about picking one up, I'd say go for it. The tool will earn its place in time.

just my .02 cents...

Ray_G

Explorer
I don't know why, but the 3 flash mod is still my favorite thing I've done with the IID tool.

rcharrette

Adventurer
Ordered mine during the Lucky 8 sale over Thanksgiving. Looking forward to getting back and plugging it in to the LR4. Really excited to dump the Rhino lift rods and control my lift with the IID tool.

colb45

Observer
Joined the club as well... just have to zip across the line to go get it.

Cant wait to get rid of the bloody TPMS light after two and a half years....

DETOUR-GP

Rockstar
I bit the bullet too and bought an IIDtool BT and its waiting for me when I get back home in 2 weeks! Excited to test it out!!!!

LKLK

Joined the club as well... just have to zip across the line to go get it.

Cant wait to get rid of the bloody TPMS light after two and a half years....

Yes good sir, I concur! That TPMS Light was the bane to my existence for a good while. I think the only real grip i have is the fast lane service. They charge per module update. But it's proving to be a useful tool!

LKLK

Ordered mine during the Lucky 8 sale over Thanksgiving. Looking forward to getting back and plugging it in to the LR4. Really excited to dump the Rhino lift rods and control my lift with the IID tool.

That's what prompted me to purchase as well! The UI pretty straight forward.

lwg

Has anybody updated the ECUs with the IIDTool yet? Mine shows updates are available but has the usual caution statements to scare you. Would hate to screw something up.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

SteveMfr

Supporting Sponsor
Thanks for the kudos, guys.

Re price: if you're comparing it to an OBD reader, then yes it seems expensive. The problem is, though, it's not an apple to apple comparison: OBD2 is an open standard designed for emissions. It only pertains to the motor and powertrain (auto trans if fitted to a vehicle). All manufacturers are required to adhere to the standard, so you can use an OBD reader on virtually any car. As it is an open standard, there is no R&D or reverse engineering involved, and you are only accessing one bus, so the electronics are simple. That is why you can find Chinese OBD readers for <$20 (some of which actually work! At least partially...). We have a team of guys working on the SW full-time. + production, sales, and support. Trust me - ain't nobody getting rich. We'd love to be able to offer the IIDTool for less - it is simply not doable. The other tools in the market that have similar functionality are 3-4 times as much. It is actually still quite a bargain. Just trying to explain why our prices are the way they are. Getting potential customers to understand why the IIDTool costs 10x as much as the eBay OBD dongles that look exactly the same can be a challenge.

Larry, you can actually brick a LR with a diagnostic tool. And since most people don't bother to read the instructions (and our user manual is up to almost 200 pages :eek:), we try to make people aware of the potential pitfalls so that they don't just start clicking their way through the menu. If you are going to flash an ECU, you should have at least skimmed through that chapter in the manual. That said, we have over 5000 IIDTools sold now, and the vast majority are in private-user (not professional) hands. We have had only a very small number of serious issues and in those cases we've worked with the customer and resolved the issue. We've still never lost a customer completely :)

lwg

Thanks for the kudos, guys.

Larry, you can actually brick a LR with a diagnostic tool. And since most people don't bother to read the instructions (and our user manual is up to almost 200 pages :eek:), we try to make people aware of the potential pitfalls so that they don't just start clicking their way through the menu. If you are going to flash an ECU, you should have at least skimmed through that chapter in the manual. That said, we have over 5000 IIDTools sold now, and the vast majority are in private-user (not professional) hands. We have had only a very small number of serious issues and in those cases we've worked with the customer and resolved the issue. We've still never lost a customer completely :)

Good response. I work in IT so I’m familiar with firmware destroying things. Sounds like if I do my research I should be OK. Really just wondering if there’s any benefit, etc to updating.

FYI, I’m a big fan of the tool even at its current price point. Make the investment once and roll it through the Land Rovers I own now and in the future with a small fee. I imagine I’ll have 1 or 2 Rovers until I die, which is hopefully, many, many years from now.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

eloist

Adventurer
I've been making due with an i930 that the previous owner left me with the truck.
I use it anytime I drive over 50 miles in one day on the truck b/c my TPMS light pops on :)

I very much want to buy an IID so I can disable the system completely haha.

Looking forward to picking one up.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles