XJ project MORTY

Mr_Miyagisan

Adventurer
DSC_3096 by Emerson Bowling, on Flickr
Part II of my trip is posted.
http://forum.expeditionportal.com/threads/183336-Flatlanders-Go-West?p=2395498#post2395498

In current events, the jeep is doing great. got back from a short 3 day trip to the Slade area of the Kentucky Adventure Trail. Jeep did great.

Picking up some welding gas soon and going to start working on a custom rear tire carrier setup. The JCR carrier isn't working out the greatest for my needs, so I'm going to be building a dual swing out setup

Mr_Miyagisan

Adventurer
Too heavy. Flexes like crazy when swung out. Gas can setup isn't ideal, just not made to work with 5 gallon cans
I carry.

Hackopotomus

Observer
Nice build! Any updates?

I have a '98 XJ on 33's with 4.10 gears, ARB in front and Detroit in 8.25 rear. Of course, the 4.0 but I have a 5 speed. I have a bit more lift and do some pretty hard core wheeling with it but want to get into more overlanding trips. I live in NW Nevada near the Rubicon Trail and there are lots of great trails in the area but also a lot of dirt roads that go all over the state and into UT and AZ. I can drive from my house to the Grand Canyon all on dirt.

I also have a Blue Heeler and he goes with me everywhere. Do you put yours in the RTT? If so, do you just lift him up there? I'm debating going with a RTT or just sleeping in the back of the XJ. I am also thinking about a small trailer, either just for supplies or maybe as a one man + dog camper.

I can cruise about 60 to 65 MPH with mine but anything over that and it gets a little squirrely, especially when the Detroit Locker wants to kick in and out. How does yours do at speed?

Attachments

• IMG_3383.jpg
    IMG_3383.jpg
    579.5 KB · Views: 33
  • IMG_3366.jpg
    IMG_3366.jpg
    589.7 KB · Views: 33
  • IMG_3423.jpg
    IMG_3423.jpg
    522.7 KB · Views: 28

Mr_Miyagisan

Adventurer
Nice build! Any updates?

I have a '98 XJ on 33's with 4.10 gears, ARB in front and Detroit in 8.25 rear. Of course, the 4.0 but I have a 5 speed. I have a bit more lift and do some pretty hard core wheeling with it but want to get into more overlanding trips. I live in NW Nevada near the Rubicon Trail and there are lots of great trails in the area but also a lot of dirt roads that go all over the state and into UT and AZ. I can drive from my house to the Grand Canyon all on dirt.

I also have a Blue Heeler and he goes with me everywhere. Do you put yours in the RTT? If so, do you just lift him up there? I'm debating going with a RTT or just sleeping in the back of the XJ. I am also thinking about a small trailer, either just for supplies or maybe as a one man + dog camper.

I can cruise about 60 to 65 MPH with mine but anything over that and it gets a little squirrely, especially when the Detroit Locker wants to kick in and out. How does yours do at speed?

Nothing too new. Replaced the battery and tray with a oreilys battery and JCR tray.
Ordered a few other small things from JCR too. 50" light bar brackets, cubby hole thingy, and side CB antenna mount.
Have the parts together for my new carrier setup just waiting for a window of time that my fabricator can fit it in.

Domo does sleep with us in the tent no problem, he actually likes it lol lines up for us at the foot of the ladder and waits for one of us to scoop him up. He is a pretty small heeler though, roughly 50lbs.

I have no problems at speeds with the xj. It'll go 70+ with no issues. The LSD is invisible until it senses a slip, I love it.

Those fender flares rustys? I've been eyeballing them for awhile now

Mr_Miyagisan

Adventurer
New tire carrier is all welded up. Still need to make the gas can holder, an auto open gas strut system, then figure out what I want to do with the hi-lift.

Also while Brad at Obsession Off-road had the Cherokee he installed my JKS shackles. With that and losing ton of weight with the new carrier the rear is sitting a lot higher than the front. So I'm in the middle of deciding if I want to either take a leaf out again to net me about 3.25" in the rear total, then match the shocks and front spring to it. Or keep that current rear setup which looks to be sitting at 4" or higher and match the front and shocks to that. Decisions, Decisions.

paroxysym

Adventurer
Also while Brad at Obsession Off-road had the Cherokee he installed my JKS shackles. With that and losing ton of weight with the new carrier the rear is sitting a lot higher than the front. So I'm in the middle of deciding if I want to either take a leaf out again to net me about 3.25" in the rear total, then match the shocks and front spring to it. Or keep that current rear setup which looks to be sitting at 4" or higher and match the front and shocks to that. Decisions, Decisions.

To keep the OME ride quality, id prob just remove a rear leaf

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles