Rooftop Tent Truck Bed Rack

sass2924

I have a long bed Silverado pickup and would like to put a roof top tent in the bed. Does anyone have a recommendation on a rooftop tent truck bed rack that I could use. I want to raise the tent up so I can still use the bed.

Ovrlnd Rd

Adventurer
Leitner Designs makes a nice rack but they're pricey. I wound up making my own out of aluminum tubing but definitely not as high speed as theirs.

Here's a pic of mine. I wanted it tall enough that I could walk under the RTT when it was deployed.

FD7B8F7A-0F99-4337-9915-AD5900F50236.jpgAwning stowed.jpg

Last edited:

smd3

I've got a Mule Rack from Expedition One. It was a bit on the expensive side, but you can set the height where you want it, and it's really well made. I just saw a RCI is making a bed rack for F-150's now, I'm not sure if the dimensions are close enough to the silverado.

I should note that I'm into the Mule Rack for about $700, that includes some aircraft channel and the bolts to to mount it to the truck. YOu don't need the aircraft channel, you could bolt it to the bed sides directly.

beadblaster

Observer
Tuff stuff bedrack

I see that tuff stuff makes a well priced bed rack. They usually have sales on most of their stuff.

NEXT
Universal Rooftop Tent Truck Bed Rack
MSRP : $610
$425.00 – $500.00

tyler.96

Observer
IMG_20170928_192007.jpg

I had bought a headache rack, and then had a ladder rack built to match it. Using it for my kayak mostly, but may end up building some cross bars for a platform / rtt in the future.

sass2924

Thanks for the reply’s. Most of these racks seem expensive compared to what you get. Maybe it’s the engineering involved it can’t be the materials. Maybe I’m missing something.

tkt0912

Tuff Stuff's bed rack is really nice. I just installed it on my F150. It puts the top of my RTT just peaking above the roof of the cab. Very affordable compared to other "overland" companies. It does come unfinished though. I used 3 coats of Rustoleum's spray on bed liner after 1 coat of self-etching primer and I am very happy with it. Also, TracRac (on clearance at all my surrounding Home Depot's for less than $150!!) is another good option. It places the tent much higher above the cab though. I'll post a few pics from my phone next, for your reference.....

tkt0912

20171104_170350.jpg
IMG_20171103_160730_659.jpg
....and here it is with the Tuff Stuff rack installed. Just figured I try to give some sort of reference between the two. Hope that helps.

Attachments

• 20171104_083143.jpg
    20171104_083143.jpg
    563.3 KB · Views: 79

tyler.96

Observer
Thanks for the reply’s. Most of these racks seem expensive compared to what you get. Maybe it’s the engineering involved it can’t be the materials. Maybe I’m missing something.

I forgot to mention in the 1st post. Bought the headache rack for $250, then had the ladder rack built for $250. To me, it was a decent price, since it's pretty stout.

b9ev

Adventurer
The 500 for trail tested includes shipping.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles