Basket Case '03 Monty Purchased

corprin

Adventurer
I picked up an '03 Monty for a winter beater, and something to take into the north-country where the vegetation likes to remove paint. The Tacoma with AT Habitat has been relegated to our longer summer trips. Got the Monty for a song knowing it needed work.

Truck has 135k and is fairly clean, but does need some love. About 1.5hr into my 5.5hr drive home the input seal on the rear diff pooped the bed, thinking it was related to the squeaky wheel bearing I noticed on my test drive... I cooked the rear diff.

I have been trying to find some info here, 4x4 wire, and Mitsu forum, but I can't seem to find a solid answer of experience.

Has anybody installed an 01-02 OEM LSD into the 03? All I can find locally for a decent price are the early LSD diffs.

SONICMASD

Adventurer
Heyo,

I don't know for a fact but I think I have heard of guys doing that swap. If no one replies on here, check out the facebook group ("Mitsubishi Monteros USA"), you should get a near instant answer there.

corprin

Adventurer
Perfect! Thanks for the quick responses, LSD it is! I am only searching for is a limited and will count revolutions just to make sure.

- Needs some rubber, so finally have a place for the 3500mi old AT/3s and stock Tacoma wheels I have in boxes.

- needs cats, trying to figure out it a 01-02 y-pipe fits

- needs the temp gauge fix

- needs some trail time this fall/winter :)

Oh, what is this, "Facebook" you speak of?

nnamssorxela

Adventurer
From what I found in my research is that the LSD in the US will be a 4.9 gear ratio. You have a 4.3 now, so you will need to change out the front diff as well.

corprin

Adventurer
From what I found in my research is that the LSD in the US will be a 4.9 gear ratio. You have a 4.3 now, so you will need to change out the front diff as well.

The 01-02 XLS was 4.9 with the open or LSD diff option do to the ratios in the 4spd.

The 01-02 Limited was 4.3 hybrid LSD (no option there) because these had the 5spd tippy.

My FSM shows that the '03 limited was also 4.3 but open diff because of the fancy traction and stability control systems.

I did a rotation count on the new diff when I picked it up today, and it matches the pull tag, 4.3's and hybrid LSD.

Congrats on the purchase, Corprin. Sure you didn't melt that diff as an excuse to drop in a hybrid LSD? Your secret is safe with us. :sombrero:

Recently bought an older Monty myself so I'm fighting a learning curve. I'll be tracking your progress. Post some pics when you free up the time.

corprin

Adventurer
Congrats on the purchase, Corprin. Sure you didn't melt that diff as an excuse to drop in a hybrid LSD? Your secret is safe with us. :sombrero:

Recently bought an older Monty myself so I'm fighting a learning curve. I'll be tracking your progress. Post some pics when you free up the time.

Wait. I was supposed to get a hybrid lsd?!?!??

This one is a hyblid!

Michael Brown

You followed me, so now we're both lost
I swapped a 4.3 hybrid lsd (hyblid on the label) into my 05. Everything works as expected, even traction control. Been running it for 40k miles.

corprin

Adventurer
For reference.

DSCF0379_CR.sized.jpg

The last line is Japanese for "gear ratio" and the number is the ratio 4.3.

corprin

Adventurer
Sooo the lower toe bar(?) that crosses under the rear diff, kinda broke a couple bolts during my swap.

How important, structurally, is this bar.

Plumberjohn

Observer
Just a heads up. I’m on my second diff (295,xxx km). Bought the Monty about two years ago. They have an issue (rare) with the drivers side output shaft pulling out of the diff. Makes a mess, like a leaking seal. I bought a second diff from the wreckers, and it happened again 6 months later. So I got the updated clips (I believe, hard to tell as I keep finding different Mits part #’s on the interwebs) and some bearings and had a shop put Humpty back together again. Still howls, and it popped out again. This time I use a nice big hammer and re-set it. Seems to hold. Keep reading on Aussie threads that it may be suspension related. Just out of curiosity, how’s the rear suspension in yours? Mine is sagging bad. It’s now on the fix list (priority). I won’t swap another diff until I do. I’m just thinking that you may want to check it out a bit before you put $ into the fix, and have it go out again. Let me know what you find. I found that Mits changed the shafts in ‘05 for updated ones with a larger retainer c-clip. If anyone else knows, please chime in. I bought a parts truck (same kms and a good diff) because these are hard to find in my area. Sorry for the long winded response.

Ps, I also broke two of those bolts. The outer two. I’ll get around to fixing that one day!

corprin

Adventurer
Just a heads up. I’m on my second diff (295,xxx km). Bought the Monty about two years ago. They have an issue (rare) with the drivers side output shaft pulling out of the diff. Makes a mess, like a leaking seal. I bought a second diff from the wreckers, and it happened again 6 months later. So I got the updated clips (I believe, hard to tell as I keep finding different Mits part #’s on the interwebs) and some bearings and had a shop put Humpty back together again. Still howls, and it popped out again. This time I use a nice big hammer and re-set it. Seems to hold. Keep reading on Aussie threads that it may be suspension related. Just out of curiosity, how’s the rear suspension in yours? Mine is sagging bad. It’s now on the fix list (priority). I won’t swap another diff until I do. I’m just thinking that you may want to check it out a bit before you put $ into the fix, and have it go out again. Let me know what you find. I found that Mits changed the shafts in ‘05 for updated ones with a larger retainer c-clip. If anyone else knows, please chime in. I bought a parts truck (same kms and a good diff) because these are hard to find in my area. Sorry for the long winded response.

Ps, I also broke two of those bolts. The outer two. I’ll get around to fixing that one day!

Thank you for the info, I'll keep an eye on things back there. Mine pooped the input seal and once I had figired out it was a bad diff and not a wheel bearing I was already 2.5hr into my 5.5hr drive. Since the diff was shot, figured I'd keep an ear on it and see how far it could get... the further I made it, the cheaper the tow would be. Ended up making it all the way home!

Things done thus far....

New rear diff, new serpentine belt and idler pulleys, rear door from a '03 limited with the cool little wing, a seat bottom to replace the one with a slight rip, fixed bad temp gauge, Cooper A/T3 (two new, three I had sutting around from the Tacoma), and donut gasket on the exhaust.

Found out that I have 01/02 tail lights, and I like the 01/02 front bumper better. So I'll be keeping an eye open for a good deal on the 03+ tails, and a 01/02 front bumper.

Did the 01/02 come in an option with Athens Silver Mica on the bumper?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles