CB reccomendations for full size truck with pop up camper

smlobx

Wanderer
Hi!

I want to install a CB and antenna on my F-350 with our Hallmark pop up camper for an upcoming trip to Alaska and am looking for reccomendations as to models of the radio and antenna as well as mounting locations.

Bonus points for pictures!

What do you have or reccomend?
Thanks.

Klierslc

Explorer
Unless you want to have a radio hanging off somewhere, I recommend the cobra 75wxst. Compact all in one handset with scan, weather, and dual watch. If you have a spot to put a bigger radio, there are certainly better performing units out there, but they then require the space to mount them. Midland has a similar unit to that cobra and they also have the 510 series which is pretty compact. If you find yourself in the Virginia Beach area let me know--I think I have a good working CB laying around that I'll trade you for some beer. For an antenna, I assume the top of your rig is out of the question due to the camper so a mag mount likely won't work. You can't go wrong with a 5/8 wave tunable firestick antenna and a fender lip mount. If you have a aftermarket front bumper, you can mount an antenna there also.

Last edited:

comptiger5000

Adventurer
Personally in my Jeep I run an older Cobra 148GTL (has SSB for more comm options) and a Wilson trucker 2000 on a front fender mount. Range is quite good and it's been an all-around solid setup. Nothing compact about it though, the radio is a pretty big unit and the antenna is about 5 feet tall.

FordGuy1

Adventurer
I have a ham radio with the factory antenna converted to do both radio and ham. Totally stealth and it work excellent. I think this guy will do CB also. Not cheap but works awesome.

US Communications - Covert Antenna Systems

sologeek

Observer
Hi!

I want to install a CB and antenna on my F-350 with our Hallmark pop up camper for an upcoming trip to Alaska and am looking for reccomendations as to models of the radio and antenna as well as mounting locations.

Bonus points for pictures!

What do you have or reccomend?
Thanks.

My CB has been great (Uniden CMX 760). I used a CBI antenna mount. Not sure if they make one for ford.

CB Uniden CMX760.jpggood pic front to back.jpg

Klierslc

Explorer
Ahh, thanks for sharing this! I was just looking at Midland's new MXT275 GMRS mobile and love the form factor of a hidden transceiver and controls on the mic, didn't realize anyone made a CB like this. Thanks!

I literally gave you that information in my first response. Did you even bother looking up the Cobra 75wxst?

CCPAJeeper

Observer
Anyone having issues with the Cobra 75 compact? I have one, it is about 3 years old, bought new. I have intermittent reception issues. Used an SWF meter when I initially installed it, got the antenna tuned in. I double checked all antenna connections. I am using a 4 foot fire stick, with fender mount. Control box mounted under driver's seat. A week ago I had used the radio for a 6 hour trip my sons and I took. Toward the end of the trip, I could not hear his transmissions, at all. He was directly behind me. I thought maybe it was an environmental issue, frequency interference from electrical lines or the like. But we drove the last 15 miles of the trip and the clarity of the incoming transmissions was terrible. I could hear them, but just garbled and incoherent.
Any thoughts/suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles