Mr heater buddy heaters in tents overnight

jk6661

Observer
Something burning inside the tent really scares the ******** out of me.
Add insulation to the tent. Add layers, extra blankets, more insulation under.
I use an electric blanket in my rtt - uses very little power but makes a huge difference.

How much power does it draw (a/h)?

If your concerned about the Buddy CO monitor, stop by a hardware store and buy an additional battery powered home unit, ya know the smoke alarm style ones.

Not a big deal to have a backup alarm

MattJ

Adventurer
Never had an issue using a buddy heater but I also always use my annex. Since it has flaps on either side I leave both slightly cracked for ventilation and I use a battery powered fan up top to circulate the air. Zero issues. Guess I'd rather be a nice warm corpse than a cranky cold SOB the next morn.

Also I mitigate any of the effects of propane giving off moisture several ways. I have two rechargeable dehumidifiers (IIRC evadry is the brand?) After a trip or when "full" you can plug them in at home to a 110 outlet and it recharges the particles inside. I hang them inside the tent so the air circulates around them day and night. I also use moisture elimination pouches (same evadry company?) I toss two three between the mattress and base material of the RTT between the gaps of the camping air mattress pads I use. I leave two or three of these in the tent when not in use as they are good for 30 days or so to work when the tent isn't in use. I figure I've eliminated 85% of the interior moisture that comes with a heater, respiration, temp changes outside which works for me.

Sounds like an interesting product - I spent some time on the Eva-Dry website. One question: if I plan to leave some of the side flaps open on the tent when using the Mr. Buddy heater, with the dehumidifier products still work? I understand that they would absorb moisture great for a tent that is zipped up, but if one of the window flaps is open, won't the humidity in the tent always revert back to the humidity in the ambient air outside the tent? Let me know if I am thinking about this incorrectly. Thanks!

For those of yah that use a heater inside a tent/ camper with a CO detector

http://m.startribune.com/couple-fou...rbon-monoxide-poisoning-suspected/426278761/#

Be safe out there....
Point taken, but it's worth noting that this couple was using a "[probably gas-powered] generator that was improperly placed in an unvented storage cabinet." Totally different animal -- and much more dangerous -- than a Buddy Heater.

Agreed and we dont know where it was located in the vehicle from the statement "A carbon monoxide detector was sounding when responders arrived..."

Carbon monoxide detector placement dos and donts

MattJ

Adventurer
Yes - lots of deaths each year from improper use of generators. Especially after hurricanes and floods. But I searched online and couldn't find any stories of people dying in tents, campers or ice fishing huts while using propane heaters.? Does that mean these products (like Mr. Heater) are actually pretty safe and no one has ever died using them? Yet?

y4maWLB1kNgswMEUyMObVUvp4bu4gJmRF0g-PANg8frSVrGondDA3WHc0xYjK42TjYgfv-g1o5tpQ8SZN4bpXEl_YR8rl3gDYZz7dsAT-2r4Kj09d_Gnv6Wn0x4dDroEYO5oAtanAIJ7EEmHjm_jFgYqvlJIqnVn51rY-ZqdpB_pxxgm6wOPu6gHTo3ncf_8He9op-DMdOwdQCefzY-yJIezg

gwittman

Adventurer
We all understand result of burning propane .
The message to ponder was if carbon monoxide were burnt as the fuel, Whats its byproduct ??
Btw,
I already know the answer... & Not a trick question. But basic chemistry what suprises lots of folks.

Why would it be anything other than CO2?

outback97

Adventurer
Yes - lots of deaths each year from improper use of generators. Especially after hurricanes and floods. But I searched online and couldn't find any stories of people dying in tents, campers or ice fishing huts while using propane heaters.? Does that mean these products (like Mr. Heater) are actually pretty safe and no one has ever died using them? Yet?

Unfortunately people do die in tents and fishing huts from CO generated by propane heaters. Not necessarily that brand, but here's a couple examples. I think if you search online a little harder you'll find other examples.

https://www.deseretnews.com/article...r-carbon-monoxide-deaths-in-Cache-County.html

http://archive.sltrib.com/article.php?id=57564197&itype=CMSID

kerry

Expedition Leader
A group of us almost died in a single walled tent in Algonquin park in 1977 simply because the tent was airtight. No heater involved. Sadly, a couple of years later, a couple of young lads died under exactly the same circumstances--rainwater slicking the vents tight against the tent. So don't assume just because you are not using a heater, that you will be just fine in a tightly enclosed space.

kerry

Expedition Leader
Unfortunately people do die in tents and fishing huts from CO generated by propane heaters. Not necessarily that brand, but here's a couple examples. I think if you search online a little harder you'll find other examples.

https://www.deseretnews.com/article...r-carbon-monoxide-deaths-in-Cache-County.html

http://archive.sltrib.com/article.php?id=57564197&itype=CMSID

Note that the lawsuit explicitly states that the Coleman heaters lack a low oxygen sensor which the Mr Buddy Heaters have. That's the ground of the suite.

outback97

Adventurer
Note that the lawsuit explicitly states that the Coleman heaters lack a low oxygen sensor which the Mr Buddy Heaters have. That's the ground of the suite.

True. But, as others have pointed out, is it worth risking your life or the lives of others on this sensor functioning properly?

The OP asked about running a heater all night. No way I would risk that even if it has a shutoff sensor.

Roger M.

Adventurer
In a roof-top tent, you'd be surprised how much heat a single Uco candle lamp puts out.

Suspended safely and securely on a dedicated line, away from people, pets and the tent walls, the Uco beeswax candle will burn all night without smoke, and put off enough heat to heat the tent, and remove moisture from the air.

Indeed, on some nights that just aren't cold enough, you'll find yourself having to blow out the candle as the tent becomes too hot ... especially if you've got a warm sleeping bag.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles