Composting Toilet — Report on 8 months full time usage

Haf-E

Expedition Leader
Most of the pit toilets are emptied with a vacumn truck on a regular schedule - not waiting until they get full - so the addition of some material and liquid is not a big deal.

The absorbant material will be easily sucked up with everything else. I think its better than putting it in a dumpster myself (which I've never done in over 10 years of composting toilet use...).

Sawdust, peat moss and coconut coir are fully biodegradable materials.

JRhetts

Adventurer
Original Poster Here

I stop back and read a whole batch of posts from time to time. I have a couple of reactions:

"dwh" has consistently raised a valid issue:
The toilet I reported on and have been using is a compostING toilet. Its output in my RV application does NOT result in compostED waste. I can go for up to 28 days between solids dumps. In this time period visual inspection suggests strongly that compostING [biological breakdown due to interaction of bacteria in the matrix of poop+peatmoss] has begun. It is not fully compostED to the extent the all pathogens are likely to have been neutralized and bacteria have completely broken the poop and peatmoss down. Using a toilet like this has several benefits- almost no water needed for addition to solids, except in hottest weather; virtually no smells of any kind; relatively long intervals between solids dumps; many options for pee disposal in an un-messy way, including a regular flushing toilet; easy solids disposal with several options. Which brings us to the issue of solids disposal…

My 'best practices protocol' is to opt first for vault/pit toilets, the addition of the partly-composted poop+peatmoss seems in no way problematic. If I am out in the boonies or end up at home, I use the solids as fertilizer around non-edible plants [scratch/turn it into the ground] or into an easily-dug pit with 6-8" dirt on top as cover. Last resort would ever be to put a bag of the solids into a dumpster or other garbage container; although it could be multiple-bagged, it just does not seem 'right'.

Separating pee from poop is THE major way to eliminate the horrible 'black' smell, and pee is sterile unless one has a bladder infection, so disposal options for pee are numerous.

Several posters are simply speculating, sometimes creatively, often without even a clear grasp of 'facts' they are speculating from or about. Honestly that was not the point of the original post. It was a review. I think several of you should have opened another thread about other poop-handling apparatus that you are interested in speculating about.

dwh

Tail-End Charlie
Cheers.

Something you mentioned is especially noteworthy and I'll toss in a bit of elaboration: When burying the solids, don't bury too deep (or pack the hole too tight).

Less than a foot deep is good. 6"-8" is perfect.

That way there is plenty of air so the composting continues. Burying too deep can make it end up taking a lot longer to decompose.

1aquaholic

Adventurer
Just read this whole thing and am thinking of adding a composting toilet to my build. This question was touched on once just briefly but my biggest concern is the availability of the compost material (peat moss?) while traveling around the world. Does anybody have solid experience in trying to purchase this sort of thing in say Africa or Southeast Asia or South America? Thanks in advance for any info

Darwin

Explorer
I don't have experience with one, but I have decided to go with a Sepperette for my next build, in this system, the composting happens after it has been removed from the toilet. You basically bag it, and trash it in a biodegrable trash back and your done. Having to deal with the compost medium sounds like a pain in the ***, this was also the conclusion of another member on here who has experience with a natures head and then decided to go the Sepperette route. You can also hook it up so the urine is diverted into the grey tank so you don't have to constantly be emptying that small pee tank.

1aquaholic

Adventurer
I don't have experience with one, but I have decided to go with a Sepperette for my next build, in this system, the composting happens after it has been removed from the toilet. You basically bag it, and trash it in a biodegrable trash back and your done. Having to deal with the compost medium sounds like a pain in the ***, this was also the conclusion of another member on here who has experience with a natures head and then decided to go the Sepperette route. You can also hook it up so the urine is diverted into the grey tank so you don't have to constantly be emptying that small pee tank.
I just Googled it and didn't come up with anything

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

puiumeu

Can I mount a Composting Toilet on some kind of swing out/turntable?

Hi all,

I really want to move to a composting toilet but to fit in our combined shower/toilet/entrance it would need to be rotated when using and then swung away when finished.

As the whole unit is screwed to the floor I would assume I can just mount it on a swivel of some description but have no idea how do do this while keeping things water tight and rust free; It would need to swing out over the stainless steel shower tray so could only be supported at the rear.

Does anyone have any experience of a similar installation or any good ideas?

Thanks in advance.

Al

Neil

Observer
I have no issue with composting toilets. If it works for you then its good.

However , i have met lots of people with them but i have yet to meet anyone who actually makes compost.

Even the original op says that after a few weeks its starting to smell and he is almost forced the throw his untreated feces in a bin somewhere. Nice

As said earlier in this threat it can take up to 1 year to make compost.

If your emptying it after 2 week or a month then the real title for this device should be

"Crap in a bucket and throw it in a bin later toilet " because thats exactly what you are doing.

The second issue is the medium used. Most borders have environmental control. I am currently in south america and i know that when entering chile if they find it they will take it from you on entry. .

Can you get it anywhere, i doubt it.

It always seem to me to be a bit like the emporers new clothes.

People who have spent a huge amount of money on a bucket with seat will tell you its the best thing they ever did. They have to.

Each to there own

Good thread though

Neil

Sitec

Adventurer
"The second issue is the medium used. Most borders have environmental control. I am currently in south america and i know that when entering chile if they find it they will take it from you on entry. ."

Hadn't thought about this, but its a very good point!

Neil

Observer
Simon.

We have not been allowed to take in small pieces of wood and even a birds feather. I am pretty sure thatvif they found a bag of sawdust or coconut matting it would be siezed.

This would happen every 90 days as that the max visa here

It could be an added complication thats for sure.

Neil

Coachgeo

Explorer
sounds like one would need to keep a small chipper in their rig. After crossing border at first place of camp... start hunting up dry leaves, twigs and the likes and throw it in the chipper?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles