ImpromptU-Ah! Back to Utah We Go!

Blackdawg

Dr. Frankenstein
We had hoped to get to Panorama point...again. But we were denied due to timing. Im sure we will be back though. Stopped again at the Ranger Station to tell them we were ok and headed out. Gave a road report on Millard as well. Then got back on the almost highway like dirt road back to Green River.

ImpromptU-Ah!-114.jpg by Monte Nickles Photos, on Flickr
ImpromptU-Ah!-115.jpg by Monte Nickles Photos, on Flickr

Racking up the miles. Fun to go fast on roads like this.

ImpromptU-Ah!-116.jpg by Monte Nickles Photos, on Flickr

We then set our sights high and would try to get to Vernal and Flaming Gorge area hoping to find camping.

However, we forgot it was March, not May, like it felt to us the last few days. There is this thing called snow.

ImpromptU-Ah!-117.jpg by Monte Nickles Photos, on Flickr

Of which there was quite a lot up in the mountains.

ImpromptU-Ah!-118.jpg by Monte Nickles Photos, on Flickr

Devin found a lake south of Vernal that could be potentially good. But it was south out of our way. I wanted to push north. So we did and climbed up into the mountains. Every campground was closed and every FS road was snowed in. It became obvious people were just camping in the parking lots and pull outs.

So we followed suit and found a very large pullout used for snow machines id guess. Was gravel, plowed, and the furthest one from the highway we had found. Would have to suffice. One thing was certain though.The Stars were a sight to be seen.

ImpromptU-Ah!-119.jpg by Monte Nickles Photos, on Flickr
ImpromptU-Ah!-120.jpg by Monte Nickles Photos, on Flickr

It was cold though and we were happy for our sleeping bag's 5 degree rating that night. Sleep came fast listening to the quiet loud echoing hooting of an owl.

The next morning revealed we were quite close to Flaming Gorge dam. Having driven by it twice now, i wanted to stop at the cooler stops. Sadly, once again, the visitor center was closed still so we couldn't walk out on the damn.

Could go to some of the awesome overlooks though. At 455 feet tall, was a site to be seen.

ImpromptU-Ah!-123.jpg by Monte Nickles Photos, on Flickr
ImpromptU-Ah!-124.jpg by Monte Nickles Photos, on Flickr
ImpromptU-Ah!-121.jpg by Monte Nickles Photos, on Flickr
ImpromptU-Ah!-122.jpg by Monte Nickles Photos, on Flickr

However, I couldn't help but notice a road down below. We had to check it out. Turns out there is an actual boat ramp down there at the bottom. We didn't have a boat, but didn't stop us from running down and snapping a photo really quick.

ImpromptU-Ah!-125.jpg by Monte Nickles Photos, on Flickr

Something about being under a damn like this that is slightly unnerving..

From here we went back up and to another overlook. The size of this reservoir is immense.

ImpromptU-Ah!-126.jpg by Monte Nickles Photos, on Flickr
ImpromptU-Ah!-127.jpg by Monte Nickles Photos, on Flickr
ImpromptU-Ah!-129.jpg by Monte Nickles Photos, on Flickr
ImpromptU-Ah!-131.jpg by Monte Nickles Photos, on Flickr

Was a pretty sight to be had right on the border of our home state.

ImpromptU-Ah!-128.jpg by Monte Nickles Photos, on Flickr

And with that. Out spontaneous spring break trip, was at an end. Almost as aburpt as it had started. Looking back it is incredible what all happened in the span of a few days. And even though Devin and I really enjoyed out time by ourselves. The thing that had made this trip extra speacial, was all the people we had gotten to see and share this with. Or the the people that saved us.

That, is what left the biggest impression. Our friends. Thank you guys for making this last minute trip extra amazing with your own impromptu contributions.

This trip proved that if you stay flexible and capabile. Anything is possible. Sometimes no plan, is the best plan. Make it up as you go. Just get out, and get lost :)

Thanks for reading,

ImpromptU-ah!

ImpromptU-Ah!-130.jpg by Monte Nickles Photos, on Flickr

See you on the trail.

Blackdawg

Dr. Frankenstein
Credits:

Narration/Photos/Photos compiled by:

Monte, aka Blackdawg

IMG_4749

CoDriver and adventure buddy:

Devin:
ImpromptU-Ah!-101.jpg

Photos by:

Ben and Kirsten

ImpromptU-Ah-75.jpg

Random Strangers picked up on the Interstate :D

Gavyn and Derik:

ImpromptU-Ah-3.jpg

My Saviors:

Brett @bossfoss

ImpromptU-Ah-24.jpg

ImpromptU-Ah-30.jpg

[/CENTER]

Last edited:

seanpistol

Explorer
Sweet photos of Flaming Gorge! A guy just caught a 57 lb trout to set the record, but had the record revoked because his license was a few days expired. Ha! I make the trek to fish below the damn a few times a year.

Blackdawg

Dr. Frankenstein
Sweet photos of Flaming Gorge! A guy just caught a 57 lb trout to set the record, but had the record revoked because his license was a few days expired. Ha! I make the trek to fish below the damn a few times a year.

Dang! Thats a big *** trout!

Looked like a cool section to float down. would love to take our raft there.

seanpistol

Explorer
The Green River is beautiful, as is everything around it. I love that area.

Here's the 50+ year old fish and the guy that got a fine for fishing with an expired license-

5995e38195e0a.image.jpg

Blackdawg

Dr. Frankenstein
The Green River is beautiful, as is everything around it. I love that area.

Here's the fish that broke the record and then didn't-

5995e38195e0a.image.jpg

Good...GOD! haha

Huge.

Yeah i love that whole rive system with the Green and Colorado.

Really cool to see the power of water with those.

unkamonkey

Explorer
Dang! Thats a big *** trout!

Looked like a cool section to float down. would love to take our raft there.

Yep, there some large fish up there especially right below the dam. (You can't fish there). A friend will go up there with friends and fly fish as they float down the river.

Flhtruss

Observer
Hi BD
Thanks for all the fun and awesome pictures. The Wife also was amazed at how beautiful that area is. Your friends were awesome, fantastic feeling to be on the receiving end, almost too much. Thanks for taking us with you on your adventure!

Later you two until the next one.
Russ

Blackdawg

Dr. Frankenstein
Hi BD
Thanks for all the fun and awesome pictures. The Wife also was amazed at how beautiful that area is. Your friends were awesome, fantastic feeling to be on the receiving end, almost too much. Thanks for taking us with you on your adventure!

Later you two until the next one.
Russ

Hey Russ!

Thank again for reading! Glad you enjoyed it. Super grateful to my amazing friends. They make the dream happen!

Next trip is in two weeks! So..i'll have another one before long to share :)

Cheers!

Monte

RJ40

Adventurer
Awesome adventure and what a blessing to have such devoted friends!! Really love the great pix, they help convince the wifey that we need to make the trek ourselves!
Quick question, do you run a fridge and if so, where do you keep it? I think our Yeti 45 could work out, but sourcing ice is a pain....

Cheers!

Blackdawg

Dr. Frankenstein
Fantastic pics and story.

Thank you!

Awesome adventure and what a blessing to have such devoted friends!! Really love the great pix, they help convince the wifey that we need to make the trek ourselves!
Quick question, do you run a fridge and if so, where do you keep it? I think our Yeti 45 could work out, but sourcing ice is a pain....

Cheers!

I do have a fridge. I run an Indel B. Their smallest one. Went with it as it was the shortest one i could find to fit under my other trucks super low bed rack. But now im changing it so now id like a bigger one.

SUPER nice to not have to worry about ice. Well worth it. Have had one for around 2? years i think? Love having it. Out in Utah its very handy plus im in a desert myself so Ice isn't a lot of fun. Soggy food is not that appetizing haha Do have to be careful about the battery though. Frankenstein has dual batteries and larger alt so not an issue though. Igor, doesn't. So i don't keep it plugged in at night and if we don't sleep in too late it holds itself below 40 quite well.

Would recommend a dual battery setup though for a fridge. Really helps. I have plans for custom cut solar panels to stick on Igors roof for 400w or so of power. Cover my peeling paint haha

Thanks for reading and hope you can make it there some day!

Pacific Northwest yetti

Expedition Medic
Just also wanted to say thank you for posting, and also posting pics of the signs for us to read. The trip reports, and pics are great. I love that i can highlight something/ a place for example that you mention, right click-search on google-and it will bring it up as a map. Allows me to star a place for future trip plans. I would recommend it to anyone w/ a google account. Makes it really easy to " plan" trips last minute, or at all. I have so many saved stars now its crazy, works great for importing places though, and can then be imported to programs like backcountry navigator for tablets, phones. I also kept looking at your plates to try and see what county you're from. Im from Cody originally even though now i reside in Oregon, its nice to see places from Wyoming i remember when you post them. Its great to have a significant other who also enjoys this stuff, I have yet to find one who does. Thanks and keep up the good work.

Blackdawg

Dr. Frankenstein
Just also wanted to say thank you for posting, and also posting pics of the signs for us to read. The trip reports, and pics are great. I love that i can highlight something/ a place for example that you mention, right click-search on google-and it will bring it up as a map. Allows me to star a place for future trip plans. I would recommend it to anyone w/ a google account. Makes it really easy to " plan" trips last minute, or at all. I have so many saved stars now its crazy, works great for importing places though, and can then be imported to programs like backcountry navigator for tablets, phones. I also kept looking at your plates to try and see what county you're from. Im from Cody originally even though now i reside in Oregon, its nice to see places from Wyoming i remember when you post them. Its great to have a significant other who also enjoys this stuff, I have yet to find one who does. Thanks and keep up the good work.

Thanks for reading man! Glad you enjoy them!

I would have been your rival growing up in Powell :p haha

I really pushed the lady on my latest trip we just finished. But she is a trooper!

Thanks for posting!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94