Tiny House On A Steel Soldier…………….Expedition Notes.

Bastendorf Beach

As soon as we pulled into North Bend hitting Walmart for supplies it was quickly decided to head to the beach via Cape Arago Hwy along the inlet bay to Charleston, Oregon.
Charleston is a small harbor town just a mile from the Coosbay jetty inlet, the town offering several restaurants, a fresh fish market, convenient stores, and multiple business catering to the boating and fishing industry.
Both sides of Coosbay’s jetty off-road vehicles have access to the sand near the crashing surf, we decided to boondock the south side of the jetty called Bastendorf beach. Getting access to the beach you have two choices, one being you can driving in the sand along the big rocks of the jetty until you get to a sign saying you cant drive any further. The second access is driving on a sandy trail which travels around the top of the beach narrowly missing dense beach trees and bushes to get a higher but equally appealing vantage of jetty and beach. Upon this beach visitation we decided to try the first option, driving in the deep sand along the jetty wall.

After doing some internet searches on Bastendorf Beach, this unique scenic beach has a lawless reputation. Murders, rapes, drugs, fights, and raging parties make for a interesting history for what we thought was a peaceful night stay. Ocean going ships sounding marine horns navigating Coos Bay Jetty, the crashing of the surf created a tranquil setting for an incredible sunset and sound sleeping. It wasn't until I started reading the history of ship wrecks, drownings, missing sailors while navigating the Inlet jetty that I stumbled on the many horror type stories of the surrounding beach.
Watching the kids make sand castles and our Labrador chasing a ball through the surf it's hard to imagine this area has such a dark cloud hovering over it. What was a dark place for some was a four day paradise for us. I hope as the years go by friendlier times shine on this beautiful place.

Attachments

• IMG_4390.jpg
    IMG_4390.jpg
    516.3 KB · Views: 31
  • IMG_4393.jpg
    IMG_4393.jpg
    364.2 KB · Views: 30
  • IMG_5255.jpg
    IMG_5255.jpg
    520.8 KB · Views: 29
  • IMG_0649.jpg
    IMG_0649.jpg
    534.3 KB · Views: 32
  • IMG_4371.jpg
    IMG_4371.jpg
    396.6 KB · Views: 32
  • IMG_5257.jpg
    IMG_5257.jpg
    451.9 KB · Views: 32
  • IMG_5253.jpg
    IMG_5253.jpg
    528.6 KB · Views: 29
  • IMG_5252.jpg
    IMG_5252.jpg
    543.4 KB · Views: 31
  • IMG_5251.jpg
    IMG_5251.jpg
    511.1 KB · Views: 29
  • IMG_5250.jpg
    IMG_5250.jpg
    526.3 KB · Views: 28
Last edited:

unkamonkey

Explorer
You are having a good trip so keep it up. I have several vehicles that will do over 100 MPH. I cruise along at around 50 MPH. I'm not in a hurry and it gives me more time to watch the scenery. Nobody waves at the Volvo but my old Buick and my old Jeeps get waves.

You are having a good trip so keep it up. I have several vehicles that will do over 100 MPH. I cruise along at around 50 MPH. I'm not in a hurry and it gives me more time to watch the scenery. Nobody waves at the Volvo but my old Buick and my old Jeeps get waves.

I agree with not being in a hurry. As far as the hand waves, we seem to get more then our share. Thanks for the comment.

Spooked into Moving

While having a great experience camping Bastendorf Beach we started bumping into people telling us that overnighting this beach was dangerous. Not being from here and not quite knowing what the story was we decided to camp nearby at a county campground overlooking the very beach we were camping.

Bastendorf County Park sits on a bluff some 80 plus feet above the Bastendorf beach with panoramic view of the ships entering Coosbay jetty inlet and Bastendorf beach. The park offers clean hot showers, rustic tree covered camping sites, epic old fashioned kids play ground, and well manicured lawns. The staff members made the stay even more enjoyable, giving us a lot information about the area and what sites to see.
The park staff informed us that the lower Bastendorf beach did have a crazy history but that they were working extensively with law enforcement to clean up the area. By installing guard rails to limit camping, having a three day boondocking cap, local citizens, staffers, and police patrols, Bastendorf’s bad days were behind it.

Attachments

• IMG_5263.jpg
    IMG_5263.jpg
    608 KB · Views: 31
  • IMG_5264.jpg
    IMG_5264.jpg
    578.4 KB · Views: 28
  • IMG_5265.jpg
    IMG_5265.jpg
    473.2 KB · Views: 28
  • IMG_5266.jpg
    IMG_5266.jpg
    538.2 KB · Views: 29
  • IMG_5267.jpg
    IMG_5267.jpg
    580.3 KB · Views: 36
Hunting Crab For Dinner

The staff at Bastendorf Park campground suggested that we go to Sunset Bay State Park Beach to get dinner. Now what they were referring to was for us to hike along the shore and get some Dungeons and Red Rock crab. Crab in Montana is hard to come by demanding a high price when you can. So the thought of just grabbing free crab for the taking was just to good to be true.

Attachments

• IMG_5277.jpg
    IMG_5277.jpg
    470.5 KB · Views: 42
  • IMG_5272.jpg
    IMG_5272.jpg
    531.6 KB · Views: 46
  • IMG_5275.jpg
    IMG_5275.jpg
    544.3 KB · Views: 35
  • IMG_5274.jpg
    IMG_5274.jpg
    534 KB · Views: 38
  • IMG_5273.JPG
    IMG_5273.JPG
    287.2 KB · Views: 40
  • IMG_4387.jpg
    IMG_4387.jpg
    558.4 KB · Views: 43
Last edited:

gtbensley

Explorer
Thanks for the comment!
I agree with you that having issues is not fun. The way we wrap our minds around our many challenges is we look at it as part of earning our right to be on the trip. Sometimes you appreciate the events your involved in if they don't come so easy. But I have to admit when things start snowballing out of control, I wish some experiences could be avoided.

As far as the speed of the M931a2 truck, I can get up to 70 on the hwy but I rarely drive above 54 to keep my fuel use in check. When pulling a grade depending how steep it is the truck sometimes slow down into the lower 30's.

You may have said it somewhere in a post, but how long do you plan on being on the road? As I have become older, I am realizing its those memories you are making with you family right now that they will always cherish. Good for you on stepping out of the norm and just going for it!

Bah, 70mph sounds scary in a rig like that. Sounds like its capable of getting you wherever you need without going too slow ( I know its not about speed, but its nice if stuck on a highway to get where you want to be a little more quickly).

Keep up with the posts, love reading about the adventure.

While waiting for our new alternator at Cummings Northwest we were woken up (Sept,28 3am) by our 13yr old's labored breathing. We tried albuteral spray to clear her lungs so she could breathe with no apparent success. So it was time to do a emergency pack up and head to the nearest hospital. Her oxygen level bought her a bed @Sacred Heart Medical Center at RiverBend in Springfield, Oregon.
They are working hard to get her breathing again. I will update.

Attachments

• IMG_2128.jpg
    IMG_2128.jpg
    530.4 KB · Views: 44
You may have said it somewhere in a post, but how long do you plan on being on the road? As I have become older, I am realizing its those memories you are making with you family right now that they will always cherish. Good for you on stepping out of the norm and just going for it!

Bah, 70mph sounds scary in a rig like that. Sounds like its capable of getting you wherever you need without going too slow ( I know its not about speed, but its nice if stuck on a highway to get where you want to be a little more quickly).

Keep up with the posts, love reading about the adventure.

Thanks again.
At this time we haven't set a end date.

RND1

Observer
Sorry to see that pic of your daughter - I have a 15, 12, and 10 year old so I feel your pain. Hopefully she's fine and in good hands.

Really enjoying your posts and pics. There's something to be said when all of you sleep in one room. It brings the family closer (for better and worse lol). You probably wouldn't have heard her labored breathing if she was at home in her own room. We spend rediculous amounts of $$ renting houses for vacation each summer and have discovered that our kids look forward to our annual ocean side camping trip more than anything. Five of us in a tent sleeping on the dunes next to the Atlantic with crisp air and waves crashing is hard to beat.

Bad day for Tiny House On A Steelsoldier

After getting four hours of sleep I wake up to find out that my son has also been admitted to hospital in ICU in critical condition. He having the same asthma issue but worse than Alayah. So now we have two on the same floor, it's going to be a tough week.🙁

Attachments

• IMG_2137.jpg
    IMG_2137.jpg
    530.8 KB · Views: 38

Haf-E

Expedition Leader
That is all very scary when things like this happen. Hoping for the best outcome. Do either have any history of asthma prior to this trip?

It looks like from the photos that the exhaust for the engine is right behind the front cab - might there be an issue with air quality in the back area? It would be quick and easy to extend the pipe higher so it dumps it over the top - but even then it can still be drawn in the box via any openings in the back.

That is all very scary when things like this happen. Hoping for the best outcome. Do either have any history of asthma prior to this trip?

It looks like from the photos that the exhaust for the engine is right behind the front cab - might there be an issue with air quality in the back area? It would be quick and easy to extend the pipe higher so it dumps it over the top - but even then it can still be drawn in the box via any openings in the back.

Brailen has fought asthma off and on in Denver, Co for two years. But after heading to Montana his symptoms disappeared and his life had been normal for almost 3 yrs. Alayah and I caught asthma with in a week apart and have been fighting it constant for 5yrs.

As far as the exhaust pipe, we rerouted the pipe under the m109a3 shop van to the back, pointing the exhaust into the trucks wind wash to limit back flow into the back door.

The asthma attaches got the kids while we have been broken down for several days at Cummins Northwest gated lot in Coburg, Oregon. We were in a very clean black topped parking lot with no vegetation near us, and not near any of the shops where they were working on trucks.

Attachments

• IMG_4142.jpg
    IMG_4142.jpg
    540.7 KB · Views: 33
  • IMG_4143.jpg
    IMG_4143.jpg
    529.8 KB · Views: 32
Last edited:
Great trip report and hope all turns out well with the family.
Plenty of nights I spent on Oregon beaches,(mostly Seal Rock & Waldport) The only thing dangerous was potential a tsunami sweeping in !

We were always worried of a tsunami also, we kept a escape map with safe areas available on our iPad at all times.

cubezombie

Great adventure (aside from the last few updates that is...Certainly hope all the breathing issues get sorted out).

A surplus 5ton is on my bucket list...will be following along.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles