Options and thougts

JMacs

Observer
It’s getting to be time to upgrade the 2004 Taco to something new. My list of “must haves” is 4x4, D-cab, long bed, tow package. The wife’s list includes sunroof and heated seats.

A couple of questions.

I have been pricing them on-line, the TRD Sport and TRD Off-Road start with the same “Starting MSRP” $35,770. What am I giving up to go with the Off-Road versus the Sport? Besides the hood scoop and the “sport tuned suspension”. (sport tuned suspension on a truck??) I am gaining the locking rear, CRAWL traction system.

Toyota “Genuine Toyota All-Weather Floor Liners” $139 for the front. Vs. Weathertech $109 for the front. Any experience on which are sturdier?

I have the Line-X in the back of my current 2004 now. Love it. First truck (1992 truck) had the plastic, drop-n bed liner. Hated that. With the new plastic beds, do things slide around like the old plastic drop-ins? Has anyone had the Line-X done to their new bed? Issues? Does anyone have the Weatherteck “Techliner”? Looks like a decent bed-liner that will help keep things from sliding around. Is it too sticky to keep things from sliding when you want them too?

On a similar note. The 2004 is going to be for sale soon. My thoughts were to put it up here and Craig’s list for a week, e-bay for a week, all depending on what the dealer is willing to give me for a trade-in. So if anyone out there is interested in a clean 2004 D-Cab Pre-Runner with 180k on it, let me know and I will keep you informed on when it goes up for sale. KBB has it for a little under $10k.

JMacs

Observer
Thanks for the response.

Sad about the hood. I am not a big fan of the hood scoop.

I am not too worried about having a locker. I have made it down quite a few Colorado "4 Wheel Only" trails and not bothered with the locker. Careful placement, patients, and suspension travel have been the keys. If we ever afford our dream Colorado property, I will have to add a locker into the purchase price.

Isn't your left foot a better hill start assist? Too bad for me, the Long Bed isn't available with a manual. Even with a manual, that is what a hand parking break is for.

And an early thanks to your for the inspiration for the bed slide / drawer. I will have something similar. yours will be a good reference.

Cheers!!

dman93

Adventurer
I own an OffRoad, I bought because I wanted the locker after having an 80 Series Land Cruiser with front and rear lockers which got used a lot. I haven't done to much real 4- wheeling in the Tacoma yet and haven't used the locker at all, MTS seems to work well, but hardly a necessity. As for crawl control, I haven't used it except to try it, but I have heard of folks who said it does really work. Going uphill at the higher speed settings the noise wasn't too bad. Of course if you get an MT OffRoad, you only get the locker anyway. One long-term benefit of the Sport is 17" wheels which I think offer more tire options especially in Load Range C. In reality, if I were doing it over I'd consider an SR5. In summary, pick the power train you want and the cab/bed you want, then the rest is totally personal preference. Oh, the bed: it's almost as slippery as any drop-in plastic bed liner, maybe a tiny bit less. Hence the popularity of bed mats (I have the Toyota mat). I've read that spray liners won't adhere to the plastic bed but have no,personal experience.

Nate_gb

I think the off road package gives more bang for your buck. I've personally witnessed the crawl control do amazing things and I believe it is better than even a dual locked rig in a lot of instances (i.e. Off camber hills, steep/loose hill decents, etc.) Rear locker is also very nice to have and the Oem e locker is going to be superior to an ARB locker in my opinion. I have to disagree with the gentleman above saying the ARB is superior to the Oem locker and I think anyone who has had air leaking issues with an ARB locker would agree with me.

As far as the hood shake issue, test drive one and see if it bothers you. Some people don't even notice it. Can't comment on the howling rear end deal as I don't have any experience with it myself.

dman93

Adventurer
One more comment, I have over 37K miles on my 2016 OR and no hood shake and no rear end noise.

calicamper

Expedition Leader
Be sure the wife is ok with the taco ride/comfort. I know many people who sold their tacos due to its ride quality. Which seems to surface as you get older.

JMacs

Observer
Be sure the wife is ok with the taco ride/comfort. I know many people who sold their tacos due to its ride quality. Which seems to surface as you get older.

Because you get older? Or the truck gets older? She was with me when I bought my '04. It is our go-to for all of our road trips. About 7500 miles worth this last summer. No complaints except it is a little noisy when she wants to talk on her phone.

Nate_gb: I agree that it seems like there is a more stuff on the off-road versus the sport. Can't figure out what they remove from the sport to make it the same price though.

I've spent some time looking into the hood shake. It happens when the glue holding the sheet metal of the hood to the support structure comes apart. Responses have ranged from “live with it. What do expect for a $40k truck” to a dealer that has taken the hood apart, re-glued it, and repainted it. (I'll save my rant against the first guy for another time.)

And there was the rear diff whine issue. From what I've read, the whine seems to come from the bearings getting worn. New bearings, the problem goes away, never to come back. People have speculated the root cause being improper shims. Maybe the mechanics are getting the shims in there right during the replacement work and that is why it never comes back. I don't know enough about the fine details of the diff to know if that all makes sense or not.

Maybe the production line has fixed these issues. So small, they should be fixed easily.

Dalko43

Explorer
Get the locker...it's better to have it and not need it than...you know the rest.

In all seriousness it makes no sense to think about adding one down the road if they are factory options. You will also find that it is much more effective than the ATRAC system, and certainly the two working in unison makes your 4x4 very capable.

JMacs

Observer
As much as I would like to do more off-roading, my reality is it will be an occasional thing. Just not a lot of opportunities on the east coast of Nebraska. Anytime I do get a chance, it starts with a 550 mile interstate drive to Colorado. My general 4x4 needs revolve more around the fact the city doesn't have our street very high on their priority list when it comes to snow removal. Heated seats and sunroof are for Mama. Cause if Mama ain't happy, no one is happy.

When we do make it to Colorado, I have never been afraid to test the suspension travel of my truck. Having the Pre-runner has been a good way to keep my bravado in check. Having a 4x4 would have meant I would just get stuck further in. Only 2wd reminds you to think much harder before you leap. I have lived through the "young and stupid" years. Now I think I can rely on my "old and wise" brain to keep me out of trouble. :ylsmoke:

Nate_gb

As much as I would like to do more off-roading, my reality is it will be an occasional thing. Just not a lot of opportunities on the east coast of Nebraska. Anytime I do get a chance, it starts with a 550 mile interstate drive to Colorado. My general 4x4 needs revolve more around the fact the city doesn't have our street very high on their priority list when it comes to snow removal. Heated seats and sunroof are for Mama. Cause if Mama ain't happy, no one is happy.

When we do make it to Colorado, I have never been afraid to test the suspension travel of my truck. Having the Pre-runner has been a good way to keep my bravado in check. Having a 4x4 would have meant I would just get stuck further in. Only 2wd reminds you to think much harder before you leap. I have lived through the "young and stupid" years. Now I think I can rely on my "old and wise" brain to keep me out of trouble. :ylsmoke:

Seeing this makes me wonder if you have considered just a standard 4x4 sr5 model? Or are some of the options you're looking for only available on the OR or sport models? I'm no expert when it comes to knowing what options are included in which packages...

Getting an sr5 can save you a few bucks you can use to upgrade some things that are important to you like a bed mat or other little things. From the sound of it, you may not really benefit enough from all the off road and electronic accessories that the OR comes with and I know you already mentioned you're not a huge fan of the hood scoop anyway.

JMacs

Observer
It is the bells and whistles on the wish list that pushing me into the TRD packages. Can't get some of them with the SR5 package.

If that wasn't an issue, I would end up with the SR5 with a nice suspension upgrade.

I am not too concerned with a few bucks extra for a Line-X (some have said around $500) versus a bed mat ($100+). I was just curious on people's experience. I will be making other upgrades to make it more road-trip worthy. Fridge slide. Dual battery. Extra convenience stuff on the inside.

Clutch

<---Pass

That or get a tougher wife...mine think the new trucks are too posh. Though her favorite vehicle is an aircooled VW bus, which as zilch for amenities...

Sold their Tacomas due to ride quality!? Ahhh car people....ruining trucks. Last week I just did a quickie 10 hour drive up North, next day rode dirt bikes in the rain all day, turned around the day after that then took the long way home 12 hours back...seemed fine to me and this is the oldest I have ever been.... :D

Have a 2011 TRD Sport double cab with long bed and I don't regret not getting the offroad package. I enjoy having the larger ring gear that comes with the Sport and have easily re-geared to 4.56 and added ARB air lockers front and rear. I don't have a sunroof, but it's my understanding that the current Tacoma does have that option in multiple trims. And I'm certain that there are different trim feel seats in the current Tacoma as there were when I bought mine. The sport seats are shaped a bit differently and they suit my back and driving position well but my wife on the other hand, she's not a fan. Heated seats and leather upholstery are straight forward modifications that can be done at home for less than the dealer will nick you for them.

Hope you end up with the perfect example to suit your needs.

Dalko43

Explorer
If it were possible to get the locker and not give up anything, I'd 100% agree with you. But given the common downsides (some of which I mentioned above) found in OR models, it comes down to the individual user's needs: what's important to them.

I'd wager a guess that I spend considerably more time off-road in my truck than the average OR-branded truck (whether it's a Tacoma, a Ford, whatever), but even to me, daily creature comforts prevail as being more important. Especially since I've done rougher off-roading than I ever intended to (and realistically, have interest in), but have yet to reach the truck's limits. With that said, I will almost certainly be adding a rear locker down the line (when I do gears), as in the next few years I anticipate (hope) to do a few long trips through very remote, unknown/unpredictable terrain (things like the Alexander Mackenzie trail, possibly a loop to/around South America), where being over-prepared will be important. But that's not going to be a common use case for most folks.

Based on OP's requirements of "double cab, long bed, tow package, heated seats and sunroof," I'd also guess that creature comforts will be more important to them than pure off-road capability.

I can't speak to the optioning on the Tacoma. All I know is that you can get nicer accoutrements on a 4runner and still get a locker. I myself drive a fairly spartan 4runner Trail (no heated seats, no leather, no nav) and I couldn't be happier. Heated seats would have been nice, but the truck does everything I need it to and while it may not be every bit as comfortable as a more luxurious trim, the difference in quality and comfort certainly wasn't worth the extra $5k-$7k I would've had to pay.

I've never done anything as extreme as the McKenzie Trail, though I have traveled solo through some remote parts of Ontario, CA. I'll say that in several instances of driving down basic forest roads in my local hunting areas, my locker has been instrumental in getting me unstuck or over what was otherwise impassable terrain. It's a very good backup tool to have at your disposal, even for routine trips into the wilderness. There are aftermarket offerings, but if you're buying new it makes more sense to get the e-locker from the factory.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles