Land cruiser straight 6 vs V8?

zimm

Expedition Leader
Ahhh...just sounded like you wanted the LS power for making cross country trips... these days think you're better off with a tow rig and buying one of those gawd awful UTV things for running trails, and actually have some while doing it. :D

Seems like a lot of work and still have leaf springs, for all the trouble, might as well sling an 80 chassis under the 60 while you're at it.

i have a tow rig for when i feel like using it, to go the 1000 miles of pavement... or not. it depends on if i think ill be doing trails that can break something.

a utv is weather open, not street legal, and not a point to point rig. i dont want to wear a helmet. i can sleep in the 60 comfortably. i can cross a border, and cross back. i can use it for whatever.

if you like to dirtbike, dirtbike. its cheap, and cheap is what you need, so do it. personally, after using a variety of makes and wheel bases, i decided the 60 is an easy rig to do what i want it to do, with the fewest compromises. i cut the weight way down, and still maintained full chassis/drivetrain protection. itll even lose 200 more pounds with an ls, which will permit a 50 gallon tank and 1000 mile range on easy source 87 octane. **** that diesel.

zimm

Expedition Leader
UTV! ;)

What is the point of zimm dumping a bunch of time, money, and effort into an overland rig, if he never leaves PA? If he is solely running trails around PA, be better off to quit being a poser and sell his Land Cruisers and buy an UTV! :D :p

sorry fella. i do two trips north every year, yes ive been to utah and nevada and wyoming and the dakotas. i also fly and rent in other countries. what i'm not doing, is going around in circles on a dirtbike in my backyard like a 12yo.

zimm

Expedition Leader
If trails require winches, and 1000lbs of armor I thumb a ride in a built trail joloppy trailered in or opt for atv or dirt bike. Trashing road legal vehicles on goat paths is expensive and seems to lead to closed access due to damaged watersheds these days.

utv's were THE stated reason for closures around here. the trucks stayed on know paths, and the UTV's went off and ran over all the fauna, making trails everywhere. at least the 70's dirtbike culture was dying out. any tard runs a utv, and does.

thanks.

zimm

Expedition Leader
oooh, nice!

I am surprised zimmer is admitting that he owns the "Overland Starter Kit" for how much he makes fun of everyone else for having theirs, and by the sound of things he doesn't go much further than the limits of PA and wheels instead, I dunno... me thinks he should sell it all, by a 'Murican made pickup, a quad, and some Mossy Oak outfits....:elkgrin:

well, i wheel AND travel in the truck. no trail too difficult.

so lets look at my current rig. the 60.

as it came from the PO, cheap on a fire sale...

twin batteries
arb bumber with 8274
stock height springs
a work of art skidplate from IPOR
sliders
rear bumber with spare tire and odd ladder.
snorkle
toybox 4.7
arbs

what i did.

fuel injected it
2" lift springs with bilstiens
HD steering control arms
hand throttle
lifted sliders 2"
added 12 waterproof relays
jwspeaker headlights
made a platform that slides forward for a 6-7 bed, or can be removed as a table. no drawers, just bags undernieth
put an AO roof rack on i had in the garage.
cut the ladder off, and im making a water can holder.
bike rack for the fatbike.
went from 33's to 35's
went from 4.10 to 4.88 (future 37's, not worth doing that twice)

to be completed

ls swap using a ranger as the go between, SS cast headders, all parts in hand. just need to decide start date.
50 gallon tank from a race shop i deal with.

for a truck that i can set up to camp in the rain, without getting out, will do any trail, can cross the country reliably, has critical parts protected, etc.

what did i do wrong, clutch?

plainjaneFJC

Deplorable
sorry fella. i do two trips north every year, yes ive been to utah and nevada and wyoming and the dakotas. i also fly and rent in other countries. what i'm not doing, is going around in circles on a dirtbike in my backyard like a 12yo.

Man I ride my mountain bike around the block, does that count?

redthies

Renaissance Redneck
utv's were THE stated reason for closures around here. the trucks stayed on know paths, and the UTV's went off and ran over all the fauna, making trails everywhere. at least the 70's dirtbike culture was dying out. any tard runs a utv, and does.

thanks.

I have to agree on the ATV/UTV thing. There are a couple of passes through the mountains near where I live that used to be great to run. Now they are so destroyed by ATVs that you really can't do them anymore in a 4x4 without losing a couple of teeth. There are no fines left between all the gallon sized rocks. It's horrible.

esh

Explorer
I like the I-6, but with caveats. The only V8 I have had for any time is a warmed up 454 in the FJ45 and that motor is a different animal and not really an adventure setup. :D

The 62 is nice because of the slightly narrower track than newer stuff (fits fine on ATV trails) and it always surprises me with cockpit visibility after having not driven it for a while. I simplified and improved the 62 with a 1HZ swap and a bit of turbo. Works perfect on the freeways, from 30mph onward 4th and 5th gears pull. The lower 1st gear and the quiet motor is great for idling rough roads. The motor is buttery smooth and is pretty much mechanical with glow plugs just on a big relay. Fuel range is good for trips. If 5th gear was taller like it is in the autos then it would be about perfect.

I think the 3FE was a good engine too, but it could have used help with forced induction and less drag from the A440 trans. It was a motor for a different era. It seems like the Toyota I6 diesel has more headroom for what you can do with it and the efficiency that can be extracted, which is to say the effort of sourcing and doing the swap has been worth it. I would have done an HD-T if I could have found one to afford at the time.

zimm

Expedition Leader
im leaning towards an lq4 6.0, now.

power corrupts.

i have myself convinced ill get better mileage with the double OD with the 6.0 torque, over the 4.8.

that, and theres two decent 6.0's local.

the demons of mashed gears and snapped axles are working on me.

Clutch

<---Pass

You do!!?? Hell, the way you talk about how great PA is, it sounds like you never leave. I grew up there, couldn't wait to move the hell out of there.

Hey I do the same! Travel about, fly in and rent (last rental was a mini van, ha!)...but ride the dirt bike around in circles like a 12 year old when I am waiting for the next trip....just got back from the border of Canada riding the trails up there. You should come on out, I'll show you around...acting like a kid playing in the mud isn't a bad thing.

21463367_10155775003009630_1762036800581557858_n.jpg

21743220_10155775003884630_411179985168309789_n.jpg

what did i do wrong, clutch?

I don't see the point of tossing in a LS engine in a leaf sprung vehicle, why put in an engine that can overwhelm the suspension real quick? Makes sense in an 80...in a 60, dunno...seems like a waste of time money and effort. My buddy has a built 60, yes I have driven it, even if it is OME suspension it is horrible running down washboards, will rattle yer fillings out. Guess why I don't see why swapping in a hotrod engine is beneficial. The 3F is the perfect engine for that platform, it is slow and bumbling just like the chassis. It is part of its' charm.

If you're going through all the trouble why not go all the way and sling an 80 chassis under the 60 body?

Last edited:

toylandcruiser

Expedition Leader
You do!!?? Hell, the way you talk about how great PA is, it sounds like you never leave. I grew up there, couldn't wait to move the hell out of there.

Hey I do the same! Travel about, fly in and rent ...but ride the dirt bike around in circles like a 12 year old when I am waiting for the next trip....just go back from the border of Canada riding the trails up there. You should come on out, I'll show you around...acting like a kid playing in the mud isn't a bad thing.

View attachment 419556

View attachment 419557

I don't see the point of tossing in a LS engine in a leaf sprung vehicle, why put in an engine that can overwhelm the suspension real quick? Makes sense in an 80...in a 60, dunno...seems like a waste of time money and effort.

If you're going through all the trouble why not go all the way and sling an 80 chassis under the 60 body?

How would it overwhelm the suspension?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles