LR3: New windshield..now no intermittent wipers don't work

colb45

Observer
Just had a new windshield installed in the LR3, was done through insurance. Made sure they ordered a rain sensor and one with heated glass. Have had it in for a couple weeks, finally had some rain and now my intermittent wipers are not working, however will work on fast or hyper fast. Checked fuses etc.. At a total loss and my research has failed to find me anything of relevance.

PS: Was working prior to windshield, so leaning towards that it was something to do with windshield installation.

Last edited:

A.J.M

Explorer
Check the windshield sensor is there.

Start car and have it at the wiper setting and aim the hose at the sensor in the centre of the windscreen.
I'll assume if you have auto wipers, you may also have auto lights.

Do they still work?

aek50

Adventurer
When I had the windshield replaced on my LR4 they initially didn't plug/calibrate the sensor back in that is integrated to the review mirror that controls the wipers. Fault is likely there as mentioned above.

colb45

Observer
Checked the plug, looks like it is plugged in.. Get this my auto headlights now work! Prior they didnt work before the windshield install... now they work, however no wipers now.

I am assuming I need to visit a land rover dealership to get them to recalibrate the rain sensor?

Colin Hughes

Explorer
Just had mine replaced and the cowl where it meets the windshield was very loose after install. Complained about install to insurance, had cowl replaced by my friends shop, been away for a week, came home today to a cheque from insurance for cost of cowl and labour to replace. Not good if the cowl leaks right on to the ecus there.

colb45

Observer
Update to this Issue.

Ended up getting a second windshield, OEM Land Rover pilkington glass.. still didn't resolve the issue.

So it turned out to be the fuse box.... not sure why but intermittent wiper signal was running hot all the time so the wipers would never know that they are in rest position, when it was on rain sensing/intermittent. Other than the $$ for a fuse box, relatively painless fix. Just seemed super coincidental that it happened immediately after the windshield was changed....

Long story short, would have never have thought to go chasing the fuse box. Wasn't blowing fuses. Figured for the next person that goes chasing a similar problem this might give them a head start.

Last edited:

keeper1616

Observer
What troubleshooting steps lead you to that conclusion? I'm having slightly the same problem - the headlights are on all the time, as are the wipers, if they're in auto mode. I've checked the connections, but not sure what else to do other than start throwing parts at it.

colb45

Observer
What troubleshooting steps lead you to that conclusion? I'm having slightly the same problem - the headlights are on all the time, as are the wipers, if they're in auto mode. I've checked the connections, but not sure what else to do other than start throwing parts at it.

Ill be honest, I was stumped worked with my local Rover dealer. Talked with the tech that was going to be doing the diag, which saved him a lot of time but still. Id check to see at your fuse panel that when the key is on that it is showing 0 volts, mine was showing 13 n chance so by it being hot it ended up that the truck could never tell if they were in rest position or working so it would just disable them.

What kind of glass do you have? The biggest problem for me was getting my 2nd windshield replaced by oem land rover glass (3rd windshield) due to some "special coating" even though the both pieces of glass were made in a pilkington factory.

Another Hindsight of this, was I replaced my cowl on the 2nd windshield due to it being dry and brittle.. I think this is where my initial problem arose from, due to I have done all my due diligence on making sure there are no leaks etc etc.

My process:

1. Glass - OEM or aftermarket - majority of the problems start here
2. Sensor does it work? Make sure its seated correctly, also check Auto headlights feature on off etc etc, i did that by blocking it with paper, and spraying it with water to try to get it to do something
3. Fuse panel - this step was the most frustrating because I was so close on my own, however I was unable to find information / ran out of knowledge and needed wiring schematics (this was the hindsight part)

KyleT

Explorer
Be aware that the Land Rover plinkingon and aftermarket plinkington are not the same. It MUST have the Land Rover emblem on the lower corner. The non Land Rover ones can still cause issues.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles