Dirt worthy wheel and tire options for heavier campers

java

Expedition Leader
What's wrong with the wheels? Can I air these tires down?

Not 'technically' able to air down. ATW trucks use them and swear by it, but no safety beads on 19.5 rims.

Have to find a weird *** offset 19.5 to run as a single (I guess you could just run an outer?). Also my current wheels are too skinny for anything bigger than a 225 width.... I dont think Das Bus's 6.75" are wide enough for a 285 either. EDIT: yes, Toyo wants a 7.5-9" wheel for a 285, 8.25" ideally.

goatherder

no trepidation
Good to know. Have you been in soft sand yet? I'd like to be able to camp on the beach in Baja. I only got my Motovan stuck in the sand once on the beach last trip. It was easy to pull out the next morning with a fisherman's F150.

Yeah, along the river, and with two tires on each side there is such a wide footprint it just doesn't seem to sink. I would not even think about going to singles on the rear. I was worried about the front end, but it seems as if 265 is wide enough to keep it afloat

Das Bus is running Toyo M-608 in 285/70 R19.5 on 6.75" wide American Force wheels. I think I'll be light enough that I could just run those as singles in the rear. Toyo rates them for 6395 pounds as a single, that exceeds my axle capacity. It's 35.4" tall with 21/32s tread depth. This could work for me. 285 is wide enough I think.

Again, given what my experiences have been, I think going with 19.5 and paying for custom wheels would be nothing but a waste of time and resources. Not to mention that having some sort of custom, one off set up that is uncommon when traveling in remote areas is a BAD idea. Ford box trucks are everywhere, and I'm guessing you could get a 16" replacement wheel ( and certainly a 265/75–16) in San Felipe...or most anywhere else... if needed.

Also, running 6 tires reduces the need to carry spares in some situations.

Last edited:

Petrolburner

Explorer
Yeah, along the river, and with two tires on each side there is such a wide footprint it just doesn't seem to sink. I would not even think about going to singles on the rear. I was worried about the front end, but it seems as if 265 is wide enough to keep it afloat

Again, given what my experiences have been, I think going with 19.5 and paying for custom wheels would be nothing but a waste of time and resources. Not to mention that having some sort of custom, one off set up that is uncommon when traveling in remote areas is a BAD idea. Ford box trucks are everywhere, and I'm guessing you could get a 16" replacement wheel ( and certainly a 265/75–16) in San Felipe...or most anywhere else... if needed.

Also, running 6 tires reduces the need to carry spares in some situations.

Very good points. I'm going to test it out a bit more as is before I modify anything. I plan to build out most of the box first anyway. It has 6 good all terrains right now, not very aggressive though. Would you share some close up pictures of your rear wheels and the space between them?

goatherder

no trepidation
255/85R16 on the rears and 285/75R16 up front would really be sweet, same height.

Yup, would be cool. However, 255s are gonna be an oddball size NOT widely available in backwater places, and a 285 is too wide for your skinny little 6" dually front wheel. Which means removing dually adapter hub up front and installing a conventional hub, so you can fit an 8 inch wide wheel. Which means you now have to carry two different spare tires. And there would only be about 3/4" difference in ground clearance and front tread width. Not enough difference to outweigh the downsides.

As you can see, I've already thought this through.

Sorry, no pictures. I'm currently on a fishing boat in the Bering Sea, and not near my bus

G275MSA

G275_335_80R20.jpg

Thought I would add this as a footnote to the wheels you posted a pic of. I would think routine inspection of welded wheels for cracks should be on everyone's list. It does happen considering all the stresses they see. Wheel cracking is NOT a brand issue.
https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/rcl/2017/RCAK-17V486-3632.pdf

Britboaters

Observer
I'm working on a GMC Topkick based camper. I want to use 335/80R20 tires, for all the good reasons.
Having trouble finding wheels though. Does anybody know of any reputable wheel builders they could recommend please ?
I would really like to find someone that uses "dished centers" rather than flat plate, as this would make the wheels much stronger.
I would prefer not to use bead lock rims, to avoid cost, etc.
Thanks in advance.

java

Expedition Leader
I'm working on a GMC Topkick based camper. I want to use 335/80R20 tires, for all the good reasons.
Having trouble finding wheels though. Does anybody know of any reputable wheel builders they could recommend please ?
I would really like to find someone that uses "dished centers" rather than flat plate, as this would make the wheels much stronger.
Thanks in advance.

Stazworks will dish their custom wheels.

Mattersnots

Adventurer
Thanks in advance.
Did you ever figure out your wheels/tires. I’m doing the same with the topkick as well as one other on the forum.

Petrolburner

Explorer
No. I haven't found anything reasonably sized and priced. Also, I'm still considering WeldTec Designs long travel vs a 4WD conversion. I'm still pretty far from the decision deadline.

Iejeeper

I have a 36 foot motorhome on a 2017 ram 5500 four-wheel-drive chassis. The coach ways around 17,000 pounds dry and has a gross rating of 19,500 pounds. The front axle weight is around 7000 pounds and the rear axle weight is around 11,000 pounds dry. I would like to go with tires I can air down for sand, preferably the dually configuration. Any suggestions on tires and wheels? For clearance I think the biggest I can go is around 35”. I’ve been looking at trying to go to a 20 inch wheel but have had trouble locating a solution. I was also looking at putting 2 inch spacers on my suspension for left.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles