Trailer builds with internal fenders

Keith B.

Observer
I am about to start building my trailer, and was debating doing partially internal fenders like an M1101 or 3. Maybe the more appropriate word is "wheel well" Anyone done that? I couldn't find any builds done that way. It would add maybe 8-12 inches internally for storage. I was thinking more like the Jeep tub builds.

Last edited:

jscherb

Expedition Leader
I built a Jeep-tub style trailer with partial inner fenders, because I wanted more room inside, specifically 49" between the wheel wells so I can carry plywood inside. I used wider flares on the outside so the tires are still fully covered. It's worked out very well.

TrailerOpen9.jpg

TrailerOpen2.jpg

Keith B.

Observer
I am planning a similar thing. Always thought stepsides while easy to build, a mostly a wasted space.

That is my thought as well. With the limited space already, it seems to make sense to maximize it. My build is going to start next month. I have most of the hard parts right now, I just need to go buy the tubing.

Keith B.

Observer
I built a Jeep-tub style trailer with partial inner fenders, because I wanted more room inside, specifically 49" between the wheel wells so I can carry plywood inside. I used wider flares on the outside so the tires are still fully covered. It's worked out very well.

I saw your builds and they are really nice.

jscherb

Expedition Leader
I saw your builds and they are really nice.

Thank you.

FWIW, here are a few mockups of external fenders on a Dinoot tub.

The upper left fender is a fiberglass 40's-style fender, which would be perfect to match the styling of a teardrop camper top on the Dinoot, or match a 40's tow vehicle.

Upper right is a spare fender from my Retro Wrangler pickup. I run 32" tires on the Retro, so these fenders are fine for 32's/probably 33's.

Lower left is an original M416 military trailer fender. Because of the 9.5" width, these are probably best for 225/75-15's and smaller.

Lower right is a 13" wide round fender, which would be good for 35's.

40sTubFendersAll_zps94782fe9.jpg

Charles_Alarie

I built dinoot trailer with the intention of producing a roof top tent trailer I could tow with my subaru crosstrek. It has been nothing short of outstanding.
8be75f18b45ae71a5da17c42a10dad97.jpg

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

wADVr

Adventurer
Take a look at m101a2 trailers. They have mostly inside the box wheel wells. They are oddly only 45" between the wheel wells but the overall box dimension is 65" interior width by 96" length. The m101a3 still has partially inboard wheel wells but is much wider (55" between the wells) but the box dimensions are the same.

Keith B.

Observer
Take a look at m101a2 trailers. They have mostly inside the box wheel wells. They are oddly only 45" between the wheel wells but the overall box dimension is 65" interior width by 96" length. The m101a3 still has partially inboard wheel wells but is much wider (55" between the wells) but the box dimensions are the same.

Thanks. Those are basically the reason for my question. It seems like a good way to gain interior space.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles