Post build ..uh.. build thread.

ericvs

Wow:Wow1:great pics Ericvs! Its been years since I have been down that way. Absolutly beautiful! And your surfer pals are not too shaby either...:)

Thanks Chilli! Yeah excellent part of the planet for sure. Also, yeah my pals are pretty sweet! haha.

Love this build! Any plans on adding a couple small boxes in front and behind the rear wheels? Seems like a bit of wasted space?

Thank you. Yes, I have many plans :sombrero:. I would def like something in front of the rear wheels. Not sure I am going to do anything behind the rear wheels, however. While it would be good use of space, the drivers side has the propane tank so I can't really do a box there. The other issue is on the drivers side front, the fuel fill hose & vent line is right in that area. The box would have to be fitted around that area. I could def use that space for storage though, most of my tools and recovery stuff ends up in the back seat. Not ideal :/

This thread just keeps getting better. Awesome photography!

great! Thanks! The gf is much, much better at setting up photos than I am. I have def been tapping into her skills to make this thread better

Last edited:

ericvs

4x4 van conversion trip

A friend of mine has a very sweet CCV pop top GMC van that is going to Kamloops to get a Clysdale 4x4 conversion on it. What a perfect opportunity to go biking in Kamloops. Short stay, but amazing vistas.

First night in Hope, camping in town right by the river. Good stuff. Stayed at the Coquihalla Campground.

TYQWKIeh.jpg

In Kamloops, looking up the valley over Pauls lake heading up to Mt. Harper

ALhLv2eh.jpg

This was the best spots for lunch, so we stopped here, cooked up some lunch and rode from there to the top.
Y2RoOZsh.jpg

8nvWgKRh.jpg

HP1fmnwh.jpg

Pretty sure we will be coming back to this spot when we pick up the van! Amazing views!
bRoPrHRh.jpg

chilliwak

Expedition Leader
A friend of mine has a very sweet CCV pop top GMC van that is going to Kamloops to get a Clysdale 4x4 conversion on it. What a perfect opportunity to go biking in Kamloops. Short stay, but amazing vistas.

First night in Hope, camping in town right by the river. Good stuff. Stayed at the Coquihalla Campground.

TYQWKIeh.jpg

In Kamloops, looking up the valley over Pauls lake heading up to Mt. Harper

ALhLv2eh.jpg

This was the best spots for lunch, so we stopped here, cooked up some lunch and rode from there to the top.
Y2RoOZsh.jpg

8nvWgKRh.jpg

HP1fmnwh.jpg

Pretty sure we will be coming back to this spot when we pick up the van! Amazing views!
bRoPrHRh.jpg

Sweet looking pics Ericvs! I know that country and have lots of friends there. I am looking forward to seeing more pics from you! Cheers, Chilli..:wings:

huntsonora

Explorer
Sometimes I click on this thread just to look at all the pictures again. Amazing build! Would love to do something like this with my 2nd gen

ericvs

I know I don't update enough with pictures, but I am glad the previous posts are still providing inspiration. Another friend has caught the bug and just picked up his 4x4 sprinter. spread the love! Here we are thanksgiving weekend out at South Beach on San Juan Island, Wa. A bit rainy, a bunch windy and lots of good times.

CJuCuM8h.jpg

Andrew_S

Observer
Amazing truck and adventures. You are an inspiration to get out and do more. I don't know how I hadn't noticed this already.
Great photography. Seriously I would shake your hand if I could, absolutely loved reading this.

ericvs

Throwback to a summer trip.

Another post, just in time for ThrowBackThursday! This summer, we did another lap of the lower WABDR route. Stevenson to Packwood, this time we had some different vehicles along the ride with us. A friends Toyota and the gfs new (to her) Yamaha Dual sport, we also had a doggo along for the ride, it was a party!

Early Sunday morning pre-coffee in Stevenson:

1CBkVjWh.jpg

The two 4 wheeled rigs, just about ready to roll out.

qx9QiLBh.jpg

The one 2 wheeled rig. It was so easy for her to zip ahead of the trucks, she probably did 2x extra miles just ripping back and forth waiting for us. haha. Also, rainbow pants ******.

This is Lou the dog, ready for action (funny story, my friend said Lou kept farting horribly the entire trip. he had to keep rolling down his windows and letting all the dust in. hahaha)

gqnzOJVh.jpg

Oh, was it dusty? Yeah it was (we stopped twice and blasted the Yotas air filter with compressed air):

ax3Ejcnh.jpg

beLJAphh.jpg

this was one of our stops to blast some dust. Also, nice to get out of the rig and walk around for a bit

kB0EfQ9h.jpg

But like all the other times we have done this route, it is always a blast

3QCwkzlh.jpg

l61qLS2h.jpg

INPRH7qh.jpg

XAfMtcvh.jpg

This is one of the campground that you can get to from FSR23, so we had to stop here

ufrfR2wh.jpg

so we could take a tip in the lake (here is the lady showing off her body armour, oh and some type of scenic view...)

WGA1hpeh.jpg

All sorts of fun stuff on this drive
Mountains

KVGfWfoh.jpg

insects

T7ReBuUh.jpg

some tight squeezes

MHNV6fFh.jpg

Slow going (mostly), but it took us about 9 hours to do almost 110 miles off road. Very fun day, can't wait for next summer!

Last edited:

ericvs

Small lighting change/upgrade

One thing that was bugging me about the exterior camper lighting that I have is that it wasn't as functional in all the ways that I had envisioned.

Here are all the lights when they are on. I have two at the back, two on the sides at the front of the camper and two underneath the flatbed facing down. In the cab I have a switch and I can turn on either all the lights or just the lower lights.

Zf7UMm0h.jpg

The upper lights are great and illuminate everything up high (almost too much haha) but they are good. The lower ones, under the flatbed were perfect for illuminating the area near the back door or the cab and in front of the tire, but my issue was when I am backing up at night.

I had PM'd with another member on here about this issue but I don't know if I was able to articulate why I wasn't super happy with it. Here is my thinking, as with most trucks with limited rear visibility, all my reversing is done with mirrors. I really like to be able to see where the tire is in my small blind spot mirrors for reversing because you can put the tire exactly where you want and very close to things (curbs, parking lot lines, edges of things etc), but with the way the lights were setup there was always a huge shadow right where I most wanted to see. Among other things, here are some examples of what I mean. On my daily drive, I end up parking right next to a curb in the work parking lot. I want to be right tight with it so the person who parks next to me has enough space so we can get in and out of our vehicles easily. If I can see the curb in my mirror, I can put the truck right next to it without rubbing all over it. The other part of my drive I have to back up right along the edge of the driveway at home so we can access the garage. I don't like driving on the grass cause it turns it to mud in the wet winter, so if I can see the edge of the driveway and my tire in the mirror, I can put it right along the line. Those are two small examples that I encounter every day and since I have lower lights, why not have them work how I want them to. Also, nice at camp if you are backing in, you can put the truck right beside something or see if you are about to run something over. Anyway, here is the reason in photographic form.

This next photo is a bit weird (I forgot to get a good before picture), but you can see the big shadow that is cast by the tire. This shadow is the exact area that I want to see when reversing at night.

**Front of the truck is towards the top of the picture
PtiFsj2h.jpg

for my upgrade, I wasn't sure exactly what would work, so I picked up 4x small (cheap) LED 'rock lights' and mounted them on the lower lip of the flatbed facing down. They are on the same control as the original lower lights, so I can turn them on independent of the upper four.
GKsNkWWh.jpg

You can see the entire area is now lit up so I can see the tire in my mirror. The lights also ended up illuminating a much larger area that I had anticipated, so that was a nice plus. It even lights up behind the camper. Double plus!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles