*RickRunner* - Rickashay's 05 T4R

Trying to convince the wife that moving to Canada would be a much better idea than going to Vermont. Too bad her parents are on the East Coast otherwise I think she might bite.
Is Canada as big of a paint when it comes to allowing people to move in like the United States is?

smokeysevin

Observer
I honestly don't know. I'm hoping that my occupation as an engineer might make me a bit more of a desirable resident, but who knows.

Canadian residency is based on a point system, your education, employment history, net worth, etc all play into it. In some regards its a better/simpler system.

Sean

MCObray

Explorer
Your builds continue to impress.. The quality approach of media, components, and vehicles are unmatched! Great work man, and dig the Tamarack Media Co. website.

rickashay

Explorer
Do you get any wind noise from the Prinsu?

I really don't have much of a factory comparison TBH. I drove the truck 600kms after I purchased it and then parked it for 6 months. When it rolled out of the garage it had the roof rack and larger/louder tires installed. I can say that the truck is fairly quiet overall rolling down the highway at speed and there is certainly no excessive wind noise noticeable.

I'd love to, gotta get my suspension and PM work sorted later this year, and begin planning a 2018 trip to BC/AB. I may be back up in Calgary in the next couple months for more testing for work, but I think Nelson is a pretty good drive from Calgary.

Well still let me know whenever your back in Calgary. I will still be back and forth occasionally. If your serious about making a trek up here in 2018, we should chat and try to align some days off (on my end) so you can get the grand tour of the area. Would be pretty rad trip from TX to BC!! Especially for Colossal ;)

Trying to convince the wife that moving to Canada would be a much better idea than going to Vermont. Too bad her parents are on the East Coast otherwise I think she might bite.
Canada is pretty awesome in general but out West here is just unreal.

Your builds continue to impress.. The quality approach of media, components, and vehicles are unmatched! Great work man, and dig the Tamarack Media Co. website.

Thanks Mason! Loving the updates on your Tacoma too. Still have a soft spot for those Gen 1 D-Cabs. You still down in Portland?

rickashay

Explorer
UPDATE

It's been a crazy summer. I feel like I haven't had a moment to rest with my move from AB to BC, multiple weddings, the crazy hot temperatures, my new job at Toyota, and so many projects on the go with Tamarack. Busy is a good thing but running away for a couple days is sometimes a requirement. Not to mention, part of the reason I made the move back to BC in the first place! With my fathers memorial/celebration of life last weekend, we had a ton of company from Calgary make the trek to Nelson to attend. It was great to say goodbye to Dad officially and also to visit some of our good friends from back in Calgary.

My good buddy Craig has been riding shotgun with me for about 2 years when my wife wasn't able or willing to attend our offroading trips. Craig has been bit by the mod and exploration bug but wasnt in a position to get into his own 4x4. However this year that all changed and I helped him scoop up a minty 08' GX470. He immediately baselined the truck with the help of me and Ian and began his build of the truck. Last week tires and wheels were installed and he was stoked to take "Jerry the GX" out on it's maiden voyage into the mountains. Ian, Craig, Dallas (his wife), and myself loaded up the trucks and headed for a region on the Kootenays that I'm kind of obsessed with. Guaranteed epic views, crystal clear mountain lakes to escape the 35 degree (C) heat, and also some mild offroading. The provincial-wide fire ban is a bummer for camping season but a definite necessity considering how dry the terrain is and the high risk of wildfires. Luckily propane fire-pits are still prohibited and something that was essential in the night ahead. We stopped by a nearby lake and cooled off before airing down to a modest 20psi for a good mix of gravel roads and offroad trails. Not sure why I didn't pull the camera out and grab a couple photos of the lake - cursing myself now for it.

Start of the trail, with the lake in the background.

_08I1997.jpg by Tamarack Media Co., on Flickr

Jerry the GX:

_08I1999.jpg by Tamarack Media Co., on Flickr

Loving these new Element aluminum skids for RickRunner:

_08I2007.jpg by Tamarack Media Co., on Flickr

Up we climbed on the never ending switchbacks. This trail is so cool because you ascend through all the layers of the forest - low altitude vegetation then into the high terrain, and eventually above the treeline altogether.

_08I2018.jpg by Tamarack Media Co., on Flickr

_08I2021.jpg by Tamarack Media Co., on Flickr

_08I2036.jpg by Tamarack Media Co., on Flickr

Eventually we gained the ridgeline and entered my favorite section of the trail. You drive the ridge at approx 8500ft with visibility down both sides of the mountain.

_08I2046.jpg by Tamarack Media Co., on Flickr

One of glaciers visib

_08I2034.jpg by Tamarack Media Co., on Flickr

_08I2042.jpg by Tamarack Media Co., on Flickr

The final approach shows the destination for the night - an old fire tower built in 1972.

_08I2055.jpg by Tamarack Media Co., on Flickr

Finally, a couple very tight switchbacks to gain the peak.

_08I2060.jpg by Tamarack Media Co., on Flickr

Once at the top of this ~6500ft climb in elevation, you are treated to 360 degree views of the surrounding backcountry with little evidence of civilization to be seen.

_08I2068.jpg by Tamarack Media Co., on Flickr

The smoke from one of the Okanagan forest fires making the view a little more ominous.

_08I2076.jpg by Tamarack Media Co., on Flickr

_08I2065.jpg by Tamarack Media Co., on Flickr

_08I2070.jpg by Tamarack Media Co., on Flickr

After walking around and enjoying the views, we set up camp for the night. Golden hour was approaching and we ate just in time to enjoy the sun setting behind the western peaks.

_08I2088.jpg by Tamarack Media Co., on Flickr

Side note - first night spent using the ARB awning room. This thing is so cool! Especially considering the costs over an RTT there are many pro's: full stand up room with access to your vehicle, full canvas walls which can be rolled up to reveal full mesh walls when the weather permits, and the ability to keep the roofline clean for other gear storage. It's also quite easy to setup and tear down (although that edge still goes to the RTT slightly). It's going to be a well used addition until I aquire a hardshell.

_08I2087.jpg by Tamarack Media Co., on Flickr

The boys: Ian & Craig.

_08I2083.jpg by Tamarack Media Co., on Flickr

Golden Hour giving me an excellent opportunity to grab some stills with our (Tamarack's) new camera - Canon 1DX MKii. Blown away by the combined capabilities of this camera and especially the dynamic range.

_08I2084.jpg by Tamarack Media Co., on Flickr

_08I2090.jpg by Tamarack Media Co., on Flickr

_08I2104.jpg by Tamarack Media Co., on Flickr

Sundown in a spectacular fashion:

_08I2096.jpg by Tamarack Media Co., on Flickr

_08I2100-Edit.jpg by Tamarack Media Co., on Flickr

After the sun went down, we simply relaxed and enjoyed the views until darkness set in. The propane fire pit was a life saver as temperatures approached freezing that night on the top of the mountain - crazy considering it was 25 deg C at the top before the sun set. A quick one-nighter but much needed considering all that's been going on. Excited for a few more minor mods to the truck to get it "done" ... for this year ;). Lots more trips planned so stay tuned.

Colossal 2017 planning now in full swing and definitely stepping up our game on the video production end. There may or may not be several 4k-8k cameras on deck for this year ;)

Addison out/

toyotech

Expedition Leader
Amazing views and nice trip report. Photos are unreal of how much you can see up there. Love it

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

vicali

Adventurer
Nice pics Addison - makes my koots tingle.. not even that smokey for the end of July. I've been watching the fire south of you - glad to see it's not doing much.

zidaro

Explorer
Sweet campspot!! Love perch camping.

And totally digging the ARB awning room camp. This is the route i think I'm going with the runner. So simple and non-obtrusive full protection from the elements and bugs. plus you get shade anytime, and a full room with floorpan when you want. LOVE IT!!!
what is the awning size you have?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles