GXV Patagonia on the Kenworth K370 chassis

Daurie

Thank you Daurie for your feedback. Anxious to discover more details about the 4x4 conversion. Manually locking hubs...check. Will you have a switch on the dash or a lever selector for choosing 4 wd high and/or low range? Or is this system providing only 4 high? Did you opt for the factory locking rear differential (switch on dash)? Would be appreciated if you post some actual pics of your rig. How exciting! Congratulations. Dean

Yes manually locking hubs, Electronically selectable transfer case 2wd / 4wd / 4wd Low and yes I went with the locking rear diff. The front diff is open and one day that may change. I too will share pictures upon completion. It's very exciting. We should be going to get it at the end of this month or early June.

Herk72

Hey folks - New to the forum here. My wife and I were just at GXV yesterday spec'ing out a similar model and believe we saw both of yours in progress. While they were both at different stages we were able to get a good idea of how they will look and they are really nice. Very well built in my opinion. I'm arriving at the same conclusion with respect to the K370 being the sweet spot. Really needing something my wife will feel comfortable driving occasionally and considering we will be spending a lot of time behind the wheel, it needs to be comfortable while in the cab. I don't know a whole lot about trucks in this range. Can anyone comment on the actual comfort/ergonomics aspect?

gregmchugh

Observer
Herk72,

My only experience was a ride and test drive in the first Kenworth when it was close to completion back in January. I have no prior experience in a truck this size so factor that into my comments. I found the ride to be smooth and had no trouble in terms of comfort/ergonomics. The suspension driver and passenger seats seemed comfortable with good support for both me and my wife. The ergonomics of the controls and dash displays seem very good. You might want to look at the DAF UK videos posted earlier that cover all the dash display and operational features of the truck but note that there are differences between that model and the Kenworth, notably the seat in the UK model is a much higher end seat than the basic suspension seats that are the only option in the Kenworth. Of course, GXV could install different seats if that was an issue.

Herk72

Thanks Gregmchugh. I appreciate the info and will check out those video's. It does seem as though it would pretty comfortable but not having the opportunity to drive one yet I wasn't sure. Was thinking of driving one at a dealership however it would not be loaded down with weight so that may not be a good representation.

gregmchugh

Observer
Herk72,

It is pretty hard to find a new K270/K370 at a dealer, I expect most are special orders and they generally don't keep them in stock at most Kenworth dealers. You could also look to see if there are any used ones for sale near you.

kerry

Expedition Leader
Maybe not the best place to interject but I saw this rig in Australia. Too bad Mack doesn't sell it in the USA. After talking to a truck mechanic I learned it is really a Renault, renamed Mack, since Mack owns Renault. (edit--correction. I did find a Mack/Renault 1998 4wd currently for sale in the USA. I put a link in the for sale forum)

Attachments

• i phone photos 1032.jpg
    i phone photos 1032.jpg
    547.8 KB · Views: 144
  • i phone photos 1027.jpg
    i phone photos 1027.jpg
    578.7 KB · Views: 148
Last edited:

utahpow

Excellent! I saw this on the CXV site yesterday and thought of this thread and your build. I'm sure you're excited

SootyCamper

I'm pretty impressed with the DAF dealer network. It's no mercedes but for a USA/Canada available chassis this Kenworth sure makes a strong case. Considering the PX-7 dpf delete's available here in Alberta I'm drooling. Congrats guys. If I had what (I am assuming build cost is) $400k+ I'd be build no.5!

gregmchugh

Observer
Extraction comes to mind.

Very true but I was referring to the weight difference between carrying full fuel tanks, 200 gal of diesel, vs 100 gal of diesel fuel on a 20,000 lb + vehicle in which case the extra weight of 100 more gal of diesel would likely not be a determining factor on whether you get unstuck or not...

Decanter

Adventurer
Very true but I was referring to the weight difference between carrying full fuel tanks, 200 gal of diesel, vs 100 gal of diesel fuel on a 20,000 lb + vehicle in which case the extra weight of 100 more gal of diesel would likely not be a determining factor on whether you get unstuck or not...

You could certainly stay stuck for a while and survive with that much fuel on board for sure. Congrats on the build. I appreciate hearing your thoughts on your build.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles