02 Interstate 4x6 loadrunner SOA conversion

borison

Adventurer
I recently purchased a used cargo trailer and would like to do a spring over conversion. It looks like I should be able to purchase some new hardware, unbolt the springs, roll the axel out, bolt the springs, rotate the axel and reinstall it under the springs using the new hardware. It's a 4x6 Interstate trailer rated at 2k#. I've seen the hardware kits online. Seems simple enough. Is there anything I'm missing? Any tips anyone can provide? Thanks

Attachments

• mime-attachment.jpg
    mime-attachment.jpg
    459.5 KB · Views: 15

borison

Adventurer
Thanks. I'm thinking it should be simple, but a good friend once said, "don't believe everything you think".

Screwfly

Don't rotate the axle. They usually have camber built in to help them take the weight and wear the tires evenly.
Otherwise, sounds about right!

borison

Adventurer
Don't rotate the axle. They usually have camber built in to help them take the weight and wear the tires evenly.

Mine has a straight axle. I was under the impression that the axle needs to be rotated to get the spring perches to sit underneath the springs.

Buckshot62

Observer
This is true. Most straight axles have a little camber built into them. Not sure on yours. When you pull it out you should be able to see the middle of the axle is a little bit higher than the axle ends. If yours does have camber built in do not just flip it over and bolt on. You will ruin tires very quickly. To do it properly you need to buy new spring perches and weld them on top of your axle.Directly above where they are now. And don't forget to turn the axle centering bolt over also.

1.9TDIZook

Observer
Pull a string line along the bottom of the axle and see if it does have camber,if so buy some spring perches
and have them welded on as was suggested.They are around $30 for the pair on the bay...

Last edited:

borison

Adventurer
On a side note, I'd like to put a RTT on top using the factory gutters and some ladder racks for vans/cargo trailers. I'm in the process of determining if the factory gutters can handle the load. I know most RTT are not very heavy, but I'm unsure what the static/dynamic loads are for this little trailer. If anybody has input I'd appreciate it. Thanks for looking and your input.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles