The Frankenstein Build: 1996 Tacoma Long Travel/Expo/Trail Rig

Blackdawg

Dr. Frankenstein
I haven't seen your thread in a while... Man, you guys get to some amazing places! I just picked up a cheap but super tight 96 4Runner on monday. Doing suspension and tires tomorrow. I must say pages 24 and 25 of your thread have me a bit paranoid of the LBJs!

Thanks! We try and get out!

Yea, i wouldn't worry about it, just stay on top of them and make sure you change them out with ONLY OEM LBJs every 50-80k like clock worth and you'll be totally fine. Mine were just past due and i was waiting for my LT kit to come in to change them out...which of course bit me in the *** :p

96 4runner is the best year IMO! Don't have that silly under bite front bumper. 96 was just a good year for Yotas :D

redthies

Renaissance Redneck
Thanks! We try and get out!

Yea, i wouldn't worry about it, just stay on top of them and make sure you change them out with ONLY OEM LBJs every 50-80k like clock worth and you'll be totally fine.

96 4runner is the best year IMO! Don't have that silly under bite front bumper. 96 was just a good year for Yotas :D

Yeah, I'll keep an eye on them. This will be my 3rd vehicle so won't be relied on for daily life. I'm on lunch break halfway through doing suspension. Everything seems pretty good overall, but I guess I better go do the rear coils now...

Theyotler

Is there anyway you could share the exact measurements of the rack? All the steel you used and what kind? And details. Also what's the price range for the amount of metal. Love the build and looking to do something similar with my 3rd gen. Wanting to go on camping trips and trails as well. Obsessed with this build and I'm always looking at it. Creative stuff. Also just curious as to how much total you have into it if you don't mind me asking. Lookin to get materials soon so please reply quick, thanks

Blackdawg

Dr. Frankenstein
Is there anyway you could share the exact measurements of the rack? All the steel you used and what kind? And details. Also what's the price range for the amount of metal. Love the build and looking to do something similar with my 3rd gen. Wanting to go on camping trips and trails as well. Obsessed with this build and I'm always looking at it. Creative stuff. Also just curious as to how much total you have into it if you don't mind me asking. Lookin to get materials soon so please reply quick, thanks

So, which rack? haha the short one? or the tall one?

And total into the rack or truck?

Glad you like Frank! Looking at tearing into him again soon.

Kiriesh

Adventurer
Well I may have lost all productivity today but I made it through! (I'm using the fact that I'm running a lot of automated tests as an excuse). Great story, its nice to see some background after having read through your trip reports, Frankenstein has had a helluva transformation. :bowdown:

I'm in full support of the two-vehicle configuration. One heavy built one for local fun and romping, one mild build for long distance and DD usage. Best of both worlds!

Theyotler

I did! Sort of..i took the URD piggy back out and now it works...well..better anyways. Way more drive able.

Damn sorry!

I will get you some next week when i am home. i don't have the exact ones from the 1st rack. But the 2nd one is the same which i still have.

Okay sounds good

oside7even6ixty

Did you ever figure your supercharger out? I have been wanting to get the urd 7th kit for my 96 with the gen 2 s/c ,but with the 2.2 pulley, but I have been on the fence bout getting it due to price/not knowing if it will work/and having to solder wiring

ITTOG

Craig had driven all the way from PA to join us. His liscense plate is that of legends haha

IndependancePass-5.jpg by Monte Nickles Photos, on Flickr
IndependancePass-6.jpg by Monte Nickles Photos, on Flickr

I had no clue what that was so I did a search. Per the Urban dictionary - FTMFW unknown Function: abbreviation For the MF Win acronym commonly used by middle-aged men who are just learning Internet slang

Not sure what to make of that: I find it absurd someone would put that on their license plate. How stupid is the state of PA to not do a search before approving it. Then the bombshell, am I considered older than middle-age? I know I am not younger than middle age so now I am just depressed. I am 45 by the way.

tennesseewj

Observer
I had no clue what that was so I did a search. Per the Urban dictionary - FTMFW unknown Function: abbreviation For the MF Win acronym commonly used by middle-aged men who are just learning Internet slang

Not sure what to make of that: I find it absurd someone would put that on their license plate. How stupid is the state of PA to not do a search before approving it. Then the bombshell, am I considered older than middle-age? I know I am not younger than middle age so now I am just depressed. I am 45 by the way.
45 seems like spot-on middle age, and you just learned some new internet slang ;)

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

robert

Expedition Leader
Wow, thread resurrection. I still miss my '95 Tacoma; needing some of the stupid $180/each plastic Toyota headlights right now really makes me miss it more.

Incidentally, you'd be Dr. Frankenstein and the truck would simply be the monster (he had no name in the book). ;)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles

Members online