4Runner Questions

kootenay

Intergalacticsuperintendent
My wife has decided to replace her Tiguan daily driver. We have been looking at 4runners on the internet. I am shocked at the prices some people ask for these vehicles used. Our plan is to try and keep this next vehicle for at least another 10 years. I am curious how rusty they will become. Anyone with an 03 4runner how rusty do the underbody and frames get? My brother had an 2002 and it was incredibly rusty, I was curious if this has been changed on the newer generations? I suppose if we could find a non rusty 08-13 we could rust treat it now to prevent future rust. I have never done this so if anyone has experience with this good or bad I would love to hear that as well.

Reliability wise, besides basic maintenance, when do these vehicles tend to get expensive? Ie timing chain or belt changes? Transmission woes etc? When does the factory suspension and ball joints tend to rot out? I am not the most knowledgeable in things Toyota. Currently we are debating between 2013 or newer Venzas with less then 80k km, or 2011 ish 4runners with 110k km or more on them. Both around the same price. Obviously they are quite different vehicles. The 4unner is what she originally wanted, but we have found that to get the KM and years she originally wanted, we would have to pay more then we want to. Personally I would love to get another 4x4 to make family camping more enjoyable, at the same time 90% of the vehicles life would be bad pavement driving, so a Venza is more than capable.

A.Wilson013

Adventurer
My wife has decided to replace her Tiguan daily driver. We have been looking at 4runners on the internet. I am shocked at the prices some people ask for these vehicles used. Our plan is to try and keep this next vehicle for at least another 10 years. I am curious how rusty they will become. Anyone with an 03 4runner how rusty do the underbody and frames get? My brother had an 2002 and it was incredibly rusty, I was curious if this has been changed on the newer generations? I suppose if we could find a non rusty 08-13 we could rust treat it now to prevent future rust. I have never done this so if anyone has experience with this good or bad I would love to hear that as well.

Reliability wise, besides basic maintenance, when do these vehicles tend to get expensive? Ie timing chain or belt changes? Transmission woes etc? When does the factory suspension and ball joints tend to rot out? I am not the most knowledgeable in things Toyota. Currently we are debating between 2013 or newer Venzas with less then 80k km, or 2011 ish 4runners with 110k km or more on them. Both around the same price. Obviously they are quite different vehicles. The 4unner is what she originally wanted, but we have found that to get the KM and years she originally wanted, we would have to pay more then we want to. Personally I would love to get another 4x4 to make family camping more enjoyable, at the same time 90% of the vehicles life would be bad pavement driving, so a Venza is more than capable.

Toyota frames are not known for doing to well in areas where they salt the roads. A quick google search of "Toyota Frame Rust" will clear that up for you.

That said, I know some folks that have purchased from areas without salt, used that rust treating stuff (and touch up annually), and the frames look just fine. Make it part of your preventative maintenance schedule and you'll be fine.

A timing belt job isn't too bad on the V8 model. Expect around 850 freedom dollars (give or take a couple hundred) at the dealership. I don't know how many Canadian clams that is these days... 5000? =p I believe the V6 model is a timing chain, but I may be wrong. No real experience there. Ball joints wear like any other vehicle. I'd replace them with OEM when you get the vehicle and then again in another 100k miles (what's that, like 1,000,000km?) based on the use you mentioned in the original post.

I am pretty new to the 120 series. You may get more help over on Toyota120 or Ih8mud's 120 specific subforum.

It is a Toyota though. So there's that.

Buy a GX 470 instead.

kootenay

Toyota frames are not known for doing to well in areas where they salt the roads. A quick google search of "Toyota Frame Rust" will clear that up for you.

That said, I know some folks that have purchased from areas without salt, used that rust treating stuff (and touch up annually), and the frames look just fine. Make it part of your preventative maintenance schedule and you'll be fine.

A timing belt job isn't too bad on the V8 model. Expect around 850 freedom dollars (give or take a couple hundred) at the dealership. I don't know how many Canadian clams that is these days... 5000? =p I believe the V6 model is a timing chain, but I may be wrong. No real experience there. Ball joints wear like any other vehicle. I'd replace them with OEM when you get the vehicle and then again in another 100k miles (what's that, like 1,000,000km?) based on the use you mentioned in the original post.

I am pretty new to the 120 series. You may get more help over on Toyota120 or Ih8mud's 120 specific subforum.

It is a Toyota though. So there's that.

Buy a GX 470 instead.

Thanks for the info as for the GX470 my wife has an issue with the Lexus, or any premium brand. She is a public health nurse and does home visits. She feels that showing up in a premium brand vehicle could cause some issue

SquatchGX

We actually went through this about 4 years ago...even down to the Tiguan. At that point the gx470 was actually substantially less expensive than a used 4runner. All in all gx470 vs previous Tacoma you will pay a bit more for services like the 30k mile ones. I guess it depends on what you find at what price range but I prefer our GX at similar prices to the 4Runner. You could always fool them and swap Toyota badges ;)

kootenay

We actually went through this about 4 years ago...even down to the Tiguan. At that point the gx470 was actually substantially less expensive than a used 4runner. All in all gx470 vs previous Tacoma you will pay a bit more for services like the 30k mile ones. I guess it depends on what you find at what price range but I prefer our GX at similar prices to the 4Runner. You could always fool them and swap Toyota badges ;)

That has crossed my mind

Dalko43

Explorer

That's a bit of a broad-stroke comment. Certain Toyota Tacoma frames had rust issues, for which there were recalls I believe. Toyota SUV's and trucks in general have no more rust issues than any other brand.

The fact is if you live in a wet, snowy area, your vehicle is going to eventually get rust...irregardless of the brand or the price you paid for the vehicle. The best you can do is buy a used vehicle from a dry or warmer climate, and then do what you can to mitigate the rust issues (undercarriage cleanings and paint, fluid film applications, keeping a good layer of wax and/or sealant on your paint, ect.).

Last edited:

jpachard

Adventurer
The rust issue was isolated to the Tacoma line for the most part and was an issue with the vendor and not meeting the finishing specification. These issues were on US produced trucks. Prior to owning my 4Runner I had a 2005 Tacoma with the rust issue and Toyota replaced the frame on a truck with 165k free of charge and I was the 3rd owner.

All 4runners are made in Japan so they should avoid this problem.

Keep in mind if you get a Lexus it will come with all the extra froo-froo which=heavy. Power to weight ratio is roughly the same even with the V8. Keep in mind this is coming from someone who considers cup holders and A/C an extravegance:). I try to keep my vehicle weight OCD aimed at the racecar.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ritabooke