The million mile tundra tear down

CreeperSleeper

Looking for bigger rocks.
An 07 Tundra with a 4.7? Typo?

Nope: "A larger Tundra was introduced at the February 2006 Chicago Auto Show. It used styling cues from the Toyota Tacoma along with some cues from the Toyota FTX concept truck (also designed by Craig Kember in 2003). The truck featured towing capacity of up to 10,000 lb, and a payload capacity of over 2,000 lb (910 kg), a new 5.7-liter 3UR-FE V8 engine mated to a new 6-speed automatic transmission. The second generation Tundra had three engine options. The new 5.7-liter V8 that produces 381 hp (284 kW; 386 PS) and 401 pound force-feet (544 N·m) of torque, and the carry over 4.7-liter 2UZ-FE V8 rated at 276 hp (206 kW; 280 PS) and 313 pound force-feet (424 N·m) of torque, as well as the previous 4.0-liter 1GR-FE V6 rated at 236 hp (176 kW; 239 PS) and 266 pound force-feet (361 N·m) of torque."

lugueto

Adventurer
I love this topic. I think its a testament of what a well-built, properly maintained vehicle can acchieve. 1.600.000km is impressive by any standards, and looking inside the engine to find it so clean is incredible.

I wonder what oil he used? Its safe to assume he was strict maintenance-wise, I'm sure he had high standards for what fluids went in the truck.

A.Wilson013

Adventurer
Nope: "A larger Tundra was introduced at the February 2006 Chicago Auto Show. It used styling cues from the Toyota Tacoma along with some cues from the Toyota FTX concept truck (also designed by Craig Kember in 2003). The truck featured towing capacity of up to 10,000 lb, and a payload capacity of over 2,000 lb (910 kg), a new 5.7-liter 3UR-FE V8 engine mated to a new 6-speed automatic transmission. The second generation Tundra had three engine options. The new 5.7-liter V8 that produces 381 hp (284 kW; 386 PS) and 401 pound force-feet (544 N·m) of torque, and the carry over 4.7-liter 2UZ-FE V8 rated at 276 hp (206 kW; 280 PS) and 313 pound force-feet (424 N·m) of torque, as well as the previous 4.0-liter 1GR-FE V6 rated at 236 hp (176 kW; 239 PS) and 266 pound force-feet (361 N·m) of torque."

They were initially offered with three 2UZ. The 1UR came out in 08 I think

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk

Wow, I had no idea. I've never seen one!

AaronK

Explorer
I take that back...I just read somewhere that three 1UR wasn't released until 2010

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk

plainjaneFJC

Deplorable
I love this topic. I think its a testament of what a well-built, properly maintained vehicle can acchieve. 1.600.000km is impressive by any standards, and looking inside the engine to find it so clean is incredible.

I wonder what oil he used? Its safe to assume he was strict maintenance-wise, I'm sure he had high standards for what fluids went in the truck.

Toyotas own test engines did not fare as well as this one did on wear testing. Just goes to show that even they didn't expect it to last this long and things built by man aren't perfect, you build a hundred engines and they will all fail at different points, even if they were used in a controlled.environment to make everything equal.

plainjaneFJC

Deplorable
I totally agree, that's why I emphasize on well-built.

I believe its well built, but it also seems Toyota gets more "mileage" out of its perception as building long lasting products if that makes sense. What I mean is you know there has been instances of million mile 350 gm motors, ford product, Chrysler, etc, etc. I don't say that as a knock on Toyota, I think they usually build a great product, but they have done a better job than others of selling the idea of long term durability.

toylandcruiser

Expedition Leader
Here's another one getting close apparently serviced at the same dealer

e2dd10124468b9f960ce522b13d0bbea.jpg

gmtech

Observer
Toyota should be parading this thing around! and making commercials. and the lot! even if chevy ford and dodge can make a million miles they need proof. Toyota giving the guy a new truck is icing on the cake! they could sell a lot more Tundras too contractors and people who pound the miles on trucks with a story like this

fjmario

Adventurer
Its hard for me to imagine other makes of vehicles rolling over the odometer to 1 mil miles
Toyotas are actually built to last haha

Dougnuts

Toyotas own test engines did not fare as well as this one did on wear testing. Just goes to show that even they didn't expect it to last this long and things built by man aren't perfect, you build a hundred engines and they will all fail at different points, even if they were used in a controlled.environment to make everything equal.

Toyota's tests don't replicate highway driving, they are absolutely thrashing the engines during durability testing. Tests include things like being taken to high temperatures and then pumping ice cold water is through them, loaded up and run for hours at high RPM, etc.. What this shows me is that Toyota's excellent engines will last a very, very long time under light load.

GoodEnoughforGabe

Adventurer
My 04 Tundra with the same engine is running strong at 195,000 miles (knock on wood, boomph boomph.) I hate to be a fanboy or anything like that, but toyotas, specifically the land cruisers and tundras are built to an excellent quality.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles