My attempt at a Pop-up........It begins....

lindy74

wow, looking great! I like the smoothness of the aluminum siding. What colour the siding is under the plastic wrap - can't quite tell?]

Sorry just saw I missed this question, Its called metallic charcoal. Its from Mirage Trailer in Nampa ID. Ended up being a lot nicer looking than the website could show in the small pic.

lindy74

Update, Just about completed the siding application, the small angle supports I put on the front are giving me some trouble with how to apply the siding to them. I think I have it figured out though, I'm going to bring my siding to a machine shop and have them break angles so I can have continuous siding from the underside of the cabover continue down the face of those angles to the front of the camper. This way theres no seams or any place for water to get in. Ill see if I can get some pics up to show more detail to what I'm thinking.

Less places for water intrusion is best! If it ain't damp, it ain't camp! I've had a Sunline pop up truck camper, a Born Free motorhome, and a hardside Travel Lite truck camper. They were all leakers! That's one thing I don't want my build to be.

dweb

Any updates on the siding? I'm picking up my aluminum on Friday, and having it sheared to the nearest rectangular size on Saturday. I'll then clamp it to my camper and mark out all the openings that have to be cut out. I'll use some air shears to do that. I have 46 yards of the 3M 4991 tape on hand and hope to start the skinning Monday of next week. Have you found an adhesive to bond the aluminum to the Rmax insulation? Can't wait to see it with siding on it. Seems like you get one big job done and see it starting to look like something. Then it's a series of little jobs and you feel as though you aren't getting anywhere. The past 10 days I've been building jack brackets, hold down brackets, plates in the walls for thru fittings like electric, water and battery vent. Now I'm painting the windows to install after the siding.

What width of VHB 4991 tape did you use? was 46 yards enough? I have a line on reasonably priced 1/2" that I think I might use. Thanks mate - your posts are helping me out a ton with my build. Just cut all my aluminum framing this weekend, and hoping to get it welded up this week or next.

Last edited:
What width of VHB 4991 tape did you use? was 46 yards enough? I have a line on reasonably priced 1/2" that I think I might use. Thanks mate - your posts are helping me out a ton with my build. Just cut all my aluminum framing this weekend, and hoping to get it welded up this week or next.

Sent you a PM

lindy74

I had ordered 2 rolls 70 yards total of VHB tape. Its just enough to complete the job. I have about 1/3 roll left for the roof.

lindy74

Got 4 days off in a row and decided to get some stuff done. Majority of time was spent doing the fun stuff like designing the interior and getting a layout going.

Using a rotomold for my fridge. Also was lucky enough to find a SMEV flush mount sink with black glass lid for $140.00. The water tank is actually going right under the sink now to allow for me to install drawers above where it is in the pic. Below the cooler will be my electronics area with my switches mounted on the face of the compartment to allow for easy reach through the open door. The battery will be on the side of the door I'm taking the pic from.
20170523_184136[1].jpg

20170523_184202[1].jpg

These are the plates that have my attachments that drop through a slot to the outside for my turnbuckles, 3/8 powdercoated steel.
20170523_184048[1].jpg

Right below the mounts are my access ports. Purchased these Marine inspection hatches that are water tight easily spin off with 6" opening for access. I will be placing handles on the inside of the lid to make opening easier, even though its pretty easy now.
20170523_184107[1].jpg
20170523_184119[1].jpg
Saw this idea in another camper build thread that someone used 1" aluminum angle as edge trim for the exterior of the camper. I plan to powdercoat these black as well. They really add a nice rugged clean look to the exterior.
20170523_184225[1].jpg
20170523_184243[1].jpg

All in all I am extremely happy with how this project is going. I had some serious reservation in even attempting this, but when I just found out a co-worker just bought a floor model Hawk for 25k I felt even better. Don't get me wrong, 4WC is a great product. I just cannot afford one, and I am able to build this exactly to meet my wants and needs. I still have yet to weld up the roof section as I was unhappy with the first one I did so it became a Wisteria trellis for my wife's garden, and quite an expensive one.
Next step will be finishing the drawers tomorrow, I hope. Today my battery and 100w solar kit arrived as well, so I have all my pieces to start the electrical wiring as well as the minor amount of plumbing. I do plan to stub out a water connection for my portable tankless water heater that I will setup to quick setup on the outside camper wall for showering.
After welding up the roof frame Ill have to find a good place for a 1 piece aluminum roof. There are a lot of vendors, just need to find the right thickness and shipping prices. Haven't figured out what thickness would be best for it, a lot seems to be 24g.

Anyhow hope to have more after this week!

dweb

This looks great! It's coming along nicely. Love seeing the updates.

What made you abandon the first roof you built?

lindy74

I had used 1x2" aluminum tube for the outer frame so it was a lot heavier. I also didn't notch and tack the undersides of the crossmembers to make a strong outward arc and it sagged inwards making awful low points had I put roofing on it. Live and learn haha. So, I will construct the next one solely out of 1x1" tube.

lindy74

Finally got the last of the siding up on the front. Used a local HVAC shop to break the 2 angles needed to add an angle to it.
20170525_150500.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles