The M~D~U Report: A Thousand Miles of Dirt in Utah

Blackdawg

Dr. Frankenstein
At least you found the Moki Dugway and Valley of the Gods. There are good camping areas North of the Dugway. There is an Indian Creek West of Blanding and on the outside of the Needles District. I thought the trenches in the hills looked familiar.

Yeah lots of stuff by Blanding. Have to go back!

Thanks for the updates!! VOTGs has been on my wish list for a while....

Yeah it is very cool to see. Bit popular for my taste..but still cool!

Stunning photos and story telling as always! Thanks for sharing, cant wait for the final chapter.

Thanks! Me too! :D One of the best parts of the trip.

unkamonkey

Explorer
Weeeel, there is lots of stuff out there and I know of places in WY and CO and UT that I don't talk much about.
Up from the dugway is Sheiks flat and Bullet canyon. Good places to take a hike from down to the Grand Gulch Primitive Area. Native structures, old corn cobs and Tee Pee rings. A good place to sit and watch a sunset with a beer. We took our beer bottles back with us and left the corn cobs. We also left the potshards along the section of the Old Mormon Trail we did a few years ago. Hatch Point Overlook is a good place for arrowheads. I left them there for others to find. I used to collect fossils for classes and bring them home to do photos for reports. If I knew then what I know now I would have left the fossil in place and taken a shot of it there. I learned how to do close up photography with an old Canon manual camera. (A TX). Reversing the lens or making a lens extender. I didn't get good marks for my writing but my photos won praise from the professors.
I think about hauling all of my samples back out to where I found them so an aspiring Geology student can find them again.

java

Expedition Leader
Yeah lots of stuff by Blanding. Have to go back!

Yeah it is very cool to see. Bit popular for my taste..but still cool!

Thanks! Me too! :D One of the best parts of the trip.
Yeah I figured go early or late season in the big truck. A little snow and freezing doesn't bother us that way!

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

Flhtruss

Observer
Hi Monte

Those photos, got me stirred up, looks like wife and I found something fun todo this fall. Thanks for the write up, always a pleasure to read and see your photos. Later.
Russ

owyheerat

Adventurer
Monte, thanks for taking the time to post the 'amazing' photos and trip report. Very much appreciated.

I'm impatiently waiting for the final chapters...:ylsmoke:

Durwin

Blackdawg

Dr. Frankenstein
Weeeel, there is lots of stuff out there and I know of places in WY and CO and UT that I don't talk much about.
Up from the dugway is Sheiks flat and Bullet canyon. Good places to take a hike from down to the Grand Gulch Primitive Area. Native structures, old corn cobs and Tee Pee rings. A good place to sit and watch a sunset with a beer. We took our beer bottles back with us and left the corn cobs. We also left the potshards along the section of the Old Mormon Trail we did a few years ago. Hatch Point Overlook is a good place for arrowheads. I left them there for others to find. I used to collect fossils for classes and bring them home to do photos for reports. If I knew then what I know now I would have left the fossil in place and taken a shot of it there. I learned how to do close up photography with an old Canon manual camera. (A TX). Reversing the lens or making a lens extender. I didn't get good marks for my writing but my photos won praise from the professors.
I think about hauling all of my samples back out to where I found them so an aspiring Geology student can find them again.

huh cool! I know there is some static about how like over 50% of the population of Blanding is somehow tied to illegal fossil/artifact blackmarket sales.

Yeah I figured go early or late season in the big truck. A little snow and freezing doesn't bother us that way!

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

That is a good plan!

Hi Monte

Those photos, got me stirred up, looks like wife and I found something fun todo this fall. Thanks for the write up, always a pleasure to read and see your photos. Later.
Russ

Thanks for reading! Lots of good stuff to see there! Going in the Fall is a great plan too.

Monte, thanks for taking the time to post the 'amazing' photos and trip report. Very much appreciated.

I'm impatiently waiting for the final chapters...:ylsmoke:

Durwin

Thanks for reading and the comment! :) I really enjoy hearing the feedback, makes it all worth it all the more.

Hopefully the wait won't be as long for the last one. I still have an entire other trip to do after this one haha

Redline61

Observer
Seriously thanks for putting in all the work to put this story together. We really appreciate it and I can't wait to make it to the TOTG this summer!

unkamonkey

Explorer
huh cool! I know there is some static about how like over 50% of the population of Blanding is somehow tied to illegal fossil/artifact blackmarket sales.
That has been going for many years in the 4 corners area.
I get lost when I'm on some maps. They have managed to rename most places and roads from what they were 30 years ago. I suppose they don't want people to find some areas.

Blackdawg

Dr. Frankenstein
Seriously thanks for putting in all the work to put this story together. We really appreciate it and I can't wait to make it to the TOTG this summer!

Hey thanks for reading and posting! You'll have a blast! Great area.

That has been going for many years in the 4 corners area.
I get lost when I'm on some maps. They have managed to rename most places and roads from what they were 30 years ago. I suppose they don't want people to find some areas.

Ha. that makes sense. Simple way to keep things at bay.

awesome stuff again! keep it coming

Thanks for reading!! More on the way!

MNCarl

The Moose
Well I am caught up....
What is there to say ? another awesome Blackdawg trip report....I have read all your previous reports as well.
Someday I hope to travel with you and Wreckdiver ....I will be hitting the trail with Wreckdiver in August this year on the Morrison. Too bad you cannot make it.
Anyway thanks again for taking the time to post these reports.
-MNCarl .....The flatlander Minnesota guy that is in the Low rider Nissan Club .....LOL

Blackdawg

Dr. Frankenstein
Well I am caught up....
What is there to say ? another awesome Blackdawg trip report....I have read all your previous reports as well.
Someday I hope to travel with you and Wreckdiver ....I will be hitting the trail with Wreckdiver in August this year on the Morrison. Too bad you cannot make it.
Anyway thanks again for taking the time to post these reports.
-MNCarl .....The flatlander Minnesota guy that is in the Low rider Nissan Club .....LOL

Well thanks for reading all my rambling! haha

Stick around. This one isn't done and i have another i have to write. Gonna be (f)unemployed here soon so will get things lined out!

I might try and make part of that run in August. We will see!

Low rider nissan club lol too true :p

Thanks for posting!

Kiriesh

Adventurer
I think I check this thread half a dozen times a day hoping for more. Your trip reports are addicting! We need more! :drool:

Desert Rat 1

Adventurer
We had drive MILES so far. I mean a LOT of dirt road. Dispite it being all fairly smooth road, we weren't complaining. It was a nice change of pace and this road seemed to only be taking us to more marvelous places.

IMG_2073 by mike digirat

Very nice! What road is this and where exactly is it? We're planning a trip to the area the first week of October and would like to do this. Do you think there'll be snow at that time? Thanks!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles