GXV Patagonia on the Kenworth K370 chassis

gregmchugh

Observer
I think it might be useful to summarize how we got to the point of choosing the GXV Patagonia on the Kenworth chassis.

We had planned for years to retire, sell our house, and travel full time in a large motorhome which is sort of the typical plan for many retirees. Retirement came about 10 years ago but we both had health issues that delayed our plans. We decided to get a smaller RV to travel part time and ended up with a Sprinter camper van that we bought in 2012. We took a 6 month, 14,000 mile, trip from Michigan to Alaska and back in 2014. Based on that trip and our other travel in the camper van we decided that travel in a large motorhome would not really suit us and we decided to still go full time but in a smaller more rugged vehicle that would allow us to travel well away from civilization. We don't have any plans beyond exploring the US and Canada but who knows what happens after that. We knew we wanted something bigger than the Sprinter and looked at EarthCruiser but decided we wanted something a little bigger for our full time travel requirements and also preferred a chassis with good service support across the US and Canada. We looked at the various options on a Ford F-550 including a Tiger Siberian and a used EarthRoamer and last December we went to GXV to see a completed UXV model on a Ford F-550 (the one they are now showing on their website). They were also working on a UVX Max model on an International chassis which is quite a large truck that you can also now see on their website. We liked the UXV on the Ford F-550 a lot and it would be a good option for us but we also saw the first Kenworth build almost complete with a Patagonia body and based on several factors decided it would be a better choice for us. Key decision factors were the cab forward chassis, the high GVWR resulting in a final weight well under the GVWR, plenty of storage space for our stuff, and the ready availability of service for a Kenworth chassis. The first build was designed for carrying a Polaris Razor in the rear garage and we didn't need that capability so we went with a straight roof, less storage in the rear, and a normal height bed platform. We made other changes to get more interior storage and are very happy with the result. Now, we are working to get our house ready to sell while waiting for the build to be completed.

Last edited:

jostalli

Observer
Or you could just buy one of the many lightly used GXV's that have been for sale for awhile. The Orange Unimog seems to tick all the boxes and then some. Maybe a 50% savings off new?

GR8ADV

Explorer
Or you could just buy one of the many lightly used GXV's that have been for sale for awhile. The Orange Unimog seems to tick all the boxes and then some. Maybe a 50% savings off new?

As I say to my wife after the haul comes in from Nordstrom. Any more sales like that I we will be broke...

waveslider

Outdoorsman
Jostalli,

While I don't have an issue per se with used, at least in our case, there are 2 key use case requirements that need to be met. The first requirement (and probably most difficult to achieve w a used rig) is that I am extremely tall. So most rigs, unless purpose built, don't fit me.

The second is that most of the chassis that have been used in the past (with notable exceptions) don't have the power or roadworthy characteristics we need. Namely, the ability to go more than 55 miles an hour on flat terrain and have a towing capacity sufficient to pull even a light trailer up a hill without getting out to push.

That rules out Unimog and FUSO instantly and while it has the torque, the BAE is perhaps not the best candidate for bombing down the highway at western-US speeds. Which kind of leaves things like this KW cab over (ergonomics tbd) and things like the IH 4x4 BLM truck. Slim pickins in the used market.....

Last edited:

gregmchugh

Observer

The two lifting roof Pangea Unimogs for sale at GXV are the orange Perky Mog at $580,000 and a newer essentially unused silver one for $660,000 and another smaller size lifting roof model. Not sure you can pick up a lightly used GXV for 50% off of new but it will be less than new with no waiting time for a build...

loonwheeler

Adventurer
Jostalli,
The second is that most of the chassis that have been used in the past (with notable exceptions) don't have the power or roadworthy characteristics we need. Namely, the ability to go more than 55 miles an hour on flat terrain and have a towing capacity sufficient to pull even a light trailer up a hill without getting out to push.

That rules out Unimog and FUSO instantly...

Not sure your cruising speed and towing capacity requirements would instantly rule out the Unimog U500 chassis, especially if the high speed option in installed (~65-70 mph). Listed towing capacity is 24T. No idea about the FUSO as I do not have any experience with this chassis.

waveslider

Outdoorsman
Good point Loon. In the case of the Mog (and several other rigs like BAE come to mind) they clearly have the grunt albeit at mindbendingly slow uphill speeds. Even with the high-speed option we found the MOG lacking when driving some friends' rigs. But, this process is all about compromise unfortunately so who knows......when you compare it, say, to driving the BLM truck you realize its not really a fair comparison.

Admittedly, also playing into those comments are issues around serviceability. Unlike many overlanders, We have zero interest in tinkering and wrenching on our truck. I fully realize that's part of the "fun" for a lot of folk, but I want to spend my time using it, not fiddling with it. So service options are important. Its not that I can't, I just don't enjoy it like many others do. I don't mind adventure-wrenching in the field as that's part of the program, but sitting in my shop with parts strewn across the concrete flipping through a MBenz online parts manual is not something I enjoy.

I wouldn't think twice about going with a Mitsu, International, Paccar/KW/PB, or the various Ford F x50 platforms based on parts, service and maintenance capabilities. Although the ford pickup based rigs have obvious drawbacks.

Greg,
To answer your question, we are starting to consider rigs that are much larger than we would otherwise have chosen due to the fact that there is quite a gap between the neat and tidy FUSO based offerings (EC and ATW) and the rather unwieldy efforts of GXV and the like. The price gap (as you probably well know) is also severe. So, like I said its all about compromise. One thing I'm sure of, I'm not going to go out and spend a half million dollars on a used vehicle that's "sort-of" what we want.....

We will likely be visiting GXV and maybe see your in-process vehicle in the coming weeks/months if our schedule allows. Until then, it's turkey season in the Sportsmobile......

gregmchugh

Observer
Waveslider,

I agree that there is a gap between the Fuso models and the next step up in chassis if you want to stick with easily serviceable options. We wanted something larger than the Fuso for our fulltiming needs so we were focused on the Tiger Siberian and used Earthroamers and the UXV until we saw the Kenworth cab forward option. I think it does represent the next step up from the F-550 with the International chassis being a further step up from the Kenworth in size. A big step up is the UXV Max on the International which seems to be in the class of the Earthroamer HD. We saw it during the build and it is a very large vehicle...

http://globalxvehicles.com/2017-uxv-uxv-max-gallery/

waveslider

Outdoorsman
Yeah, I can fully understand your thought process as you've described it since we are truly heading down the same path. Although we don't have plans at the moment to full-time as we aren't yet ready for retirement, we want something that allows for it but (ideally) without completely losing the camping feeling that we enjoy about the SMB. Like everything, there are trade-offs.

The window for reasonably cost effective financing is obviously closing so that has us anxious as well.

The UXV is serious business, but so totally NOT what we would prefer. The KW chassis is really the ideal combination of muscle and size/length. I may be wrong, but it seems similar to the Fink FUSO mentioned upstream (which for the record is too short for me....)

gregmchugh

Observer
The FM260 Fuso used on that one has a GVWR of around 26,000 lb stock and it looks like it might have been upgraded with the 4x4 upgrade. The Kenworth K370 has a GVWR of 33,000 lb so they are in the same ballpark.

mhiscox

Expedition Leader
The FM260 Fuso used on that one has a GVWR of around 26,000 lb stock and it looks like it might have been upgraded with the 4x4 upgrade. The Kenworth K370 has a GVWR of 33,000 lb so they are in the same ballpark.
It might be worth sharing that the two RUF Fuso FM260s with the Marmon-Herrington conversions have a combination of tires and gearing that lets them cruise at 70 on level ground (assuming you needed to) while retaining very reasonable acceleration. The only time where they might be deemed "slow" is on a long steep grade, when they'll drop to 35 mph. Fuel economy is in the 7-8 mpg range.

gregmchugh

Observer
I don't plan to go over 65 mph on the highway and from the drive I did with the first Kenworth it was a very stable and smooth ride on the interstate at that speed.

jostalli

Observer
Jostalli,

While I don't have an issue per se with used, at least in our case, there are 2 key use case requirements that need to be met. The first requirement (and probably most difficult to achieve w a used rig) is that I am extremely tall. So most rigs, unless purpose built, don't fit me.

That rules out Unimog and FUSO instantly and while it has the torque, the BAE is perhaps not the best candidate for bombing down the highway at western-US speeds. Which kind of leaves things like this KW cab over (ergonomics tbd) and things like the IH 4x4 BLM truck. Slim pickins in the used market.....

I didn't know this thread was about finding your next truck but I'll try and help.

Your first requirement is met with most expedition trucks as they are typically built with a 6'5-6'6" interior height. Your second requirement is met with a few performance modifications. The Unimogs can have their HP increased and with fast axles they are 75mph highway speeds, monster climbers, and can tow a trailer (if that's your thing). We have met many European overlanders with expedition trucks (mostly Unimogs, Mercedes and Man trucks) and since we are interested in building one I grill them all with questions.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier