The ExPo Mountain Bike Photo Thread

mathers420

Observer
In the spring as the mountain snow goes isothermic with deep rotten snow thaws in the late afternoon and then at night we have cold temps in the teens and low twenties that sets the snow up for a solid block of crust ice. This is what us skate skiers and fat bikers dream about. Crust biking. Turnagain Pass was a wintery Moab for the last few days. You have between 7 am and 11 am to get your riding in before the snow becomes a mash potato mess. It may not last past this weekend with rain in the forecast.

Crust riding has become my favorite type of riding, we had a couple of thaw-freezes this winter which left the snowpack rideable for a few weeks at a time.

here's a pic of my bike at a local golf course.

freeride.jpg

Howard70

Adventurer
Really good question. My primary experience with 29+ was on the Salsa Deadwood and the huge diameter and moderately low gearing kicked my butt on long climbs and even short punchy climbs. I felt like I just couldn't get geared low enough. I don't seem to suffer those problems with 27+ but still enjoy all of the big wheel benefits. I think I like my choice of 27+.

It's a tough question and I'd say go with your gut. On the upside, I don't think either choice will ever be cause for regret. I do REALLY love the Muk with those 27+ wheels. So fun.

Thanks! Great point about the gearing - I hadn't considered that. We wander in an EarthCruiser for several months at a time and I'm fiddling with the bikes to take along. Right now it looks like I'll take the Mukluk with 27.5+ and a Cutthroat with 29 x 2. Cutthroat is a wonderful Forest Road bike that handles pavement acceptably well and feeds my need for long mile days. The Mukluk really shines in the desert - the recent posts on "snow crust riding" remind me of playing on aeolian sand. Not sure I'll have room to carry the 4 x 26 wheel set also - there are 4 packrafts competing for that port storage locker...

Howard

kojackJKU

Autism Family Travellers!
They are not in the wilderness....but here are my 2. Working on getting them all re built now....

My 96 specialized rockhopper a1 fs comp. I took a quick spin on this the other day, damn....it's light and direct! Love that feeling in a bike...

87aa907b.jpg

My kranked aluminum FS. I am in the process of removing everything from the frame and rebuilding it....should be much lighter and better performing then.

3cb2a685.jpg

jayspies

Adventurer
They are not in the wilderness....but here are my 2. Working on getting them all re built now....

My 96 specialized rockhopper a1 fs comp. I took a quick spin on this the other day, damn....it's light and direct! Love that feeling in a bike...

87aa907b.jpg

My kranked aluminum FS. I am in the process of removing everything from the frame and rebuilding it....should be much lighter and better performing then.

3cb2a685.jpg

Nice! I love to see old school bikes rebuilt, and yours are in great condition, it seems. I have an old mid-80's Cannondale M500 that my son and I are going to make into an electric bike project. Have fun with yours!

kojackJKU

Autism Family Travellers!
Cool. I have owned my specialized since brand new. I worked at a gas station in the summer of 94 after I graduated to buy it. I cracked the first frame off at the headstock, it was a design defect, they replaced the frame for me. SO that's why it's a 96. it was originally a 95. ha ha.

spacer

Observer
Using my Montague for local group rides while getting it dialed in. Went back to slicks for this, but I'll be mounting knobbies either tonight or tomorrow for the next "phase".
I've been a roadie since I started seriously cycling, and need to work on my singletrack skills, at a nearby state park (Tannehill) before I start bikepacking.

Attachments

• sargetrample.jpg
    sargetrample.jpg
    119.7 KB · Views: 37

Ace Brown

Retired Ol’ Fart
Too long since anyone posted their toy here. I like my fatbikes (2) but this Trek Farley EX 9.8 is my favorite bike of 38 years of riding. Really I’ve probably said that about other favorites of the past like my Santa Cruz Blur. Riding last summer up on Grand Mesa when I picked up this toothpick. No damage!
8272aeefe2a9e851f1702d222246d0a7.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles