Trucky McTruckface - Overland Adventure Truck

Ramdough

Adventurer
That looks great! Can you show us some pictures of your side boxes and your fuel tank?

Enjoying the progress!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ramdough

Adventurer
After months of anticipation and prioritizing order of operations, finally have a roof rack and light bar powder coated and installed . Wiring circuit to complete. These things are bright as hell! Today I begin welding sub frame brackets after weeks of prep work.

What lights did you pick? Do you have a link to them?

Can't wait for more pictures.

wildorange

Observer
Subscribed, interested build & thread.

That Sprinter/motorcycle combination is really interesting, what size are the bikes?

Love the thread title, reminds me of the well documented Boaty McBoatface expedition ship dilemma.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

pnwginger

Adventure Truck Builder
Nice work! Funny how a coat of paint can change it from a surplus Army truck to a Expedition-mobile :sombrero:

The Sprinter was nice, I'm looking forward to the box build out.

Paint can work wonders! now lets hope that weeks of prep work paid off and it sticks!

pnwginger

Adventure Truck Builder

nice! I'm considering a planetary gear elimination to change from the 2:1 reduction gears to a 1:1 ring and pinion. with the amount of torque these things have and the overbuilt nature of these military trucks, a fixed hub should allow it to move faster at a lower rpm. in 7th gear it should achieve 55mph at about 1600 Rpm instead of 2300.. while I'm not a fool in thinking that the MPG will double from 8-16, i believe it will at least be an increase to roughly 12-13.

Last edited:

pnwginger

Adventure Truck Builder
That looks great! Can you show us some pictures of your side boxes and your fuel tank?

Enjoying the progress!

side boxes and fuel tank pictures will likely come next week once I've finally mounted them. I'm finishing up subframe brackets currently. once those are mounted i can bolt the second box and fuel tank into place.

patience please?? haha I'm only one guy... trying to keep my woman happy while I'm spending most of my time and money building my dream truck....

pnwginger

Adventure Truck Builder
Subscribed, interested build & thread.

That Sprinter/motorcycle combination is really interesting, what size are the bikes?

Love the thread title, reminds me of the well documented Boaty McBoatface expedition ship dilemma.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thank you! our truck's name was in part based on the naming of the British research vessel, but it totally looks like he's got a face!

on the Van, my CRF450X was on the back and on the front was Stefs Ktm 200xc. why so interesting??

wildorange

Observer
Thank you! our truck's name was in part based on the naming of the British research vessel, but it totally looks like he's got a face!

on the Van, my CRF450X was on the back and on the front was Stefs Ktm 200xc. why so interesting??

Thanks for info & I'm interested as looking to do something similar with a Land Rover pending the best type of detachable motorcycle fitment.

Only my Honda 125 will fit as my KTM Adventure is way too big which is a shame.

Not sure if your aware but the British McBoatface name has instead been put on a submersibles and the research vessel named Attenborough.

Coachgeo

Explorer
nice! I'm considering a planetary gear elimination to change from the 2:1 reduction gears to a 1:1 locker type. ....
not sure what you mean by "locker type" but you can weld the hubs and make it 1:1. I've got two front hubs welded that came with my truck. That being said.... I am a bit leary. It is said and I do not know the validy of this, that reason a portal axle can have a smaller Ring and Pinion than other axles is cause stress is reduced on the R&P cause in it's environment stress is shared with the portal gears. I would suspspect same is true with these truck's hub gear reduction at axle ends. They certainly do seem to have smaller pumpkins than trucks of similar size in the commercial market.

so if that is true....... would the R&P be strong enough to handle the stresses with the gear reduction removed? Obviously strong enough to drive... but for how long..... 3,000 miles....... 5,000? 100,000...... but what about off road when stresses are higher?

That being said though...... OVER ALL ratio after converting to 1:1 would be awesome for cruising..... but you would need first gear to move from a stop to reach 55mph in a reasonable time. Without first gear it might take a week to get moving fast enough to get into 3rd. Talking with a very knowledgeable Allison tranny rebuilder...... there is no physical reason the first gear could not be used butt..... one would have to reprogram the computer to reach 1st gear when not in "Mode"...... something no one has ever done on this Allison.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles