Rare 7.3 Powerstroke Expedition Build / FWC Hawk

Desert Rider

Observer
Hung out with this gentlemen last year at the Overland Expo near Flagstaff. Great time!! Hope to see you there again this May.

Truck is a 1999 7.3L 4X4, purchased it from a retired prison warden in LA with 34K on the clock, I don't think it ever saw dirt. It has the "rare" roll-a-long package (stainless running boards, stainless grill, custom bumper, fog lights, leather seats, pin stripes, fender flares, overhead console, stainless step guards, rear sliding window, cab lights, etc). This truck was on the brochure for roll-a-long. Truck has 285 BFG KOs (E-rated), 1-ton rear overload springs, reneul bumper with rigid LED lights and backup sensors, custom aluminum storage racks, front receiver and winch, and MSRP exhaust.

Bronco is a 1976 sport with 45K original on the clock, and tons of goodies.

FWC Hawk is a 2012 model with AC.

Also shown is a custom offroad trailer I built.

Ed

Attachments

• Abiquiu 9-2015g (640x480).jpg
    Abiquiu 9-2015g (640x480).jpg
    200.9 KB · Views: 80
  • IMG_0702.jpg
    IMG_0702.jpg
    621.7 KB · Views: 81
  • Offroad Trailer 4 (640x478).jpg
    Offroad Trailer 4 (640x478).jpg
    236 KB · Views: 74
  • IMG_0640.jpg
    IMG_0640.jpg
    534.7 KB · Views: 72

SSSSTFIRE

Adventurer
Thanks for the writeup. I have a 2002 F-350 which I've put an adventurous 178,000 miles on so far and just now will be adding a FWC buildout to it. I did the 6.0 trans cooler upgrade after cooking the first transmission towing equipment trailers. That was an excellent addition along with an A-pillar gauge pod to monitor pyrometer, trans temp and boost. I am running a Buckstop bumper with Warn 15K winch, used several times for muddy forest road extractions.

33361450592_1154547627_o.jpg

I'm heavily considering the flatbed version but need to do more research on a fabricator to build the bed. Most builds I'm finding are on Dodge platforms so more searching is in order. If anyone can point me in a good direction for more Ford 99-04 details would be appreciated. I'm running a Donahoe suspension (now Icon) and been pleased but I know something more/different will be needed for the FWC. This is where I need the most help.

Love what you've done and will be subscribed. Cheers

Flat Out

Observer
I have a very simular setup, this is an 03 F250, Donahoue 4.5 lift, pretty mild, I do have a Deaver spring pack, air bags, and recently replaced the Fox shocks with Kings, my truck handels this Northstar 850, no problem, so, you should have no problem at all with a 4Wheel, I didn't with the Granby I had before the Northstar.

Attachments

• img_0508 (1).jpg
    img_0508 (1).jpg
    552.2 KB · Views: 52

SSSSTFIRE

Adventurer
I have a very simular setup, this is an 03 F250, Donahoue 4.5 lift, pretty mild, I do have a Deaver spring pack, air bags, and recently replaced the Fox shocks with Kings, my truck handels this Northstar 850, no problem, so, you should have no problem at all with a 4Wheel, I didn't with the Granby I had before the Northstar.

Nice setup. I think my Donahoe was the 6" with the blocks in back. Hindsight I probably would have done something different, but that was 10 years ago!

If I may ask, what airbags are you running?
Are you using Daystar cradles to protect the bags?
Did you have the bags when you had the Granby or just the Deavers?
Why the bags too vs. just a set of custom Deavers for the load?
Are you fully satisfied with the offroad performance or would you do something different if you could?

Sorry for all the questions. :sombrero:

Flat Out

Observer
I use this truck for many different applications, 24ft. race car hauler, the heavy Northstar, I'm a commercial fisherman, so loads of heavy gear, no blocks on my truck in the rear, hence the springs, I've always had the bags, only for headlight adjustment, no cradles, and no problems, BD trans, and exhaust brake, with the trans. controller to stop the load, and a s$%t load of other mods, most for realibility, the truck is used, but it's never been abused, I bought it new in 03, they couldn't get ride of these fast enough because they had a new hitec 6.0 comming along, so I took the last 7.3 in Ca. that's it, iit's only got 71k on it, it's not a daily driver, and I honestly wouldn't trade it for a new one.

SSSSTFIRE

Adventurer
I use this truck for many different applications, 24ft. race car hauler, the heavy Northstar, I'm a commercial fisherman, so loads of heavy gear, no blocks on my truck in the rear, hence the springs, I've always had the bags, only for headlight adjustment, no cradles, and no problems, BD trans, and exhaust brake, with the trans. controller to stop the load, and a s$%t load of other mods, most for realibility, the truck is used, but it's never been abused, I bought it new in 03, they couldn't get ride of these fast enough because they had a new hitec 6.0 comming along, so I took the last 7.3 in Ca. that's it, iit's only got 71k on it, it's not a daily driver, and I honestly wouldn't trade it for a new one.

Thanks!! PM sent so as not to take this thread off topic.

Steve Fleming

I would never run a K&N

IMO the drawbacks outweigh any potential benefits.

For me, no 7.3 Powerstroke is complete without a simple "tymar" type cone filter.

As mentioned the factor airbox is a joke and has the potential to destroy one of the best motors ever produced, in short order.

attachment.php
have had the problem with the stock box leaking and that cost me a motor ? my recommendation is a banks 1573242609007.png

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles