Project Velcro Sneakers: A Sportsmobile/MG Metalworks/UJOR build

Jsweezy

Explorer
Thanks for posting that info on the transmission rebuild!

Love your van, but I did use to rock some grey New Balances back in the day so maybe I'm biased...

Edit - After going back over your thread and seeing your front axle I am jealous. Next van I do is gonna have a front axle exactly like yours, those Dynatrac parts look legit.

Last edited:

Betarocker

Adventurer
All those pretty parts on the axle. Now you need to complete it with these pieces.

img-one-up-offroad_front-truss_101530.jpg

img-one_up_offroad__Dana_60_Diff_cover_101540.jpg

ba129f3dfd798beaec67df2c67a04860.jpg

Betarocker

Adventurer
One shouldn't need a steering damper when properly setup. However, one weak link in the front end is the steering gear through the sector shaft. If the jarring forces can be lessened, this component will last longer. Also will lessen the forces on the tracbar joints, which are known to wear out. Dual dampers allow each on to work 50% less.

Jsweezy

Explorer
MG's kit uses the beefy Carli Track bar so really it would just be the one ball joint on the axle. I doubt having that setup would hurt but I don't think its necessary.

I have no reply to the steering gear stuff.

Ranchero - What do you think?

Edit - I did throw the single fox on my van to test it out and it did stiffen up the steering, so I can only imagine what that two shock setup would feel like.

mgmetalworks

Explorer
One shouldn't need a steering damper when properly setup. However, one weak link in the front end is the steering gear through the sector shaft. If the jarring forces can be lessened, this component will last longer. Also will lessen the forces on the tracbar joints, which are known to wear out. Dual dampers allow each on to work 50% less.

When my van was a Quadvan, it was almost undriveable without a dual stabilizer. When I converted to my kit, it drove beautifully right out of the gate without a stabilizer and no sway bar.

Ranchero

Wanderer
That is a wicked-looking stabilizer and diff cover! Although I didn't really think I needed it, I did add a Rough Country dual stabilizer. I can't say I've noticed much of a difference. Still feels good!

Also, I tried a different set of front springs. I originally went with the Moog CC880s that MG recommended. I thought that was a bit stiff with my 5.4, so I poured over the Moog catalog and found some CC878s that were supposed to be the same height and about 10% softer. Did ride a bit better, but they ended up being 1-1.5 inches shorter. Pulled them and put the 880s back on. Fortunately that is about a 15 minute per side job.

Last edited:

mk216v

Der Chef der Fahrzeuge

Many well-built factory rigs use a single steering stabilizer. First that comes to mind is the Mercedes G-Wagen ala Magna-Steyr. :chef:

brianjwilson

Some sort of lost...
A steering damper does absorb some road feel. Definitely something the typical consumer wants.

I like them too. But I am a firm believer in making everything work right withOUT it first. Too many people use crazy stuff (or 2 or 4) dampers as a band aid for worn out or improperly setup steering components.

A steering damper might take some load off of the steering box sector shaft. But I don't see it making any difference with a track bar. A track bar centers the axle and opposes steering input.

Betarocker

Adventurer
While less of an issue, the tracbar ball joint can take extra load if the wheels turn to a side when hitting a pot hole and jerking sideways and up and down.

Ranchero

Wanderer
Just wanted to provide a quick update. I've been meaning to give a better summary, but life and work are in the way at the moment. More details when the semester ends!

I've put on about 7000 miles since I finished the swap. All is good! Most of those miles are highway miles in central Colorado, with short trips to Taos and Moab thrown in for good measure. Van feels solid on the highway - tracks straight and ride is good. A few sections of my drive are really curvy 50-60mph road. I'm kind of amazed that an 8000lb van can corner so well. And the brakes! those massive 14.29" rotors slow the van down in a hurry! I haven't really off-roaded it yet. I've just used 4x4 in deep snow and some long washboard dirt roads.

Say what you will about the 5.4, but it does fine for me. It is really quiet. The 6.0 and 7.3 (especially) vans that I was considering were loud. Love being able to have a quiet conversation while driving down the road or driving with the window open and hearing not much other than wind and the faint rumble of the V8 exhaust. The power is just fine too. I drive over two big passes twice each week - one about 10k and another over 11k and the fully loaded van will maintain the speed limit over both of them. Fuel mileage is reasonable. Most tanks are in the high 13-low 14 mpg range. Not bad for a fully loaded SMB. I have 4:30s and 33" 275-70-18 snows on now. Hope I will at least maintain that when I go to 34.5" 285-75-18 ATs in a few weeks.

Need to figure out a good nerf bar/step solution. It's a long drop out the side door.

screwball48

Explorer
If this van is like a pair of old man shoes then I am calling dibs on being your roommate at the nursing home.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior