2016 JKU Backcountry AKA "The Goat"

Eagle05

Adventurer
I also have a 2016 Backcounty, and think it is a pretty good base on which build an Overland vehcial. In addition to the AEV bumbers, the skid plate, under armor, and rock rails are nice, plus the KO2 is solid tire for overlanding I think.

I took those decals off, using a hairdryer. Pretty easy once you get the hang of it. Also, love goats. Nice name.

My thoughts exactly on the BC version. So many add ons that I don't have to add. I do like the tires too. Though I'll attempt to sell these soon for a larger version of the KO2.
I assumed I was going to debadge it like I usually do to all of my vehicles, but they've grown on me a bit. I guess it's because as much as I like the dark gray color, it was never my first choice on a Wrangler. The stickers give it just a bit of the requisite 29 pieces of flair. Wait, no. That was Chotchkies that had the flair requirement. Anyway, I like it for now, and probably better than the purple Backcountry I saw online initially.

Last edited:

Island Boy

Very cool! Would love to see the Jeep sometime - I'm in Auburn. What part of Alabama are you in? I'm slowly building my Overlander ('16 JKU Sport S), I'd love an Ursa Minor but don't have that kinda $$ right now! Very nice build, btw!

BradS

That is the exact build I would like to eventually take on, inside and out. It was hard enough to actually get the Jeep in the first place let alone start dumping money into these modifications. Kudos to you to be able to go down that road. I'm torn between coughing up the big $ ($13000 CAN) for the J30 and getting a RTT and roof rack for about half that.
I've started off with the very same Jeep though.
I'll be following your progress for inspiration.
IMG_1452.jpg

Eagle05

Adventurer
Thanks, All.

It's definitely a tough purchase to commit to when you talk just numbers. Fortunately we've been saving, and pumping money into our other rigs for the last few years. Finally we just decided our favorite trips haven't been with a big RV or a trailer, but have been with our daily driver Tacomas or our Cherokee. I looked at the Habitat for my old Tacoma before deciding that wasn't what I really wanted. Once I saw the J30 after having ground tents, and a roof top tent, I knew this would be about as perfect for us as we could get. So I sold the other vehicles and took the money to put into this thing. It's something comfortable and reliable we can road trip to D.C. or Seattle, where our families are located, and park it on the street in a normal spot, or even right in front of the in-law's house and not upset their HOA. It's also something we can take down a Forest Service road to a distant and secluded spot. My wife is taking a job out of state soon (once this federal hiring freeze is lifted) and it will be nice to have something I can set up easily when it's just me and the dog. As opposed to my former 30' Winnebago with the blind spot from hell any time I tried to turn left.

Eagle05

Adventurer
Very cool! Would love to see the Jeep sometime - I'm in Auburn. What part of Alabama are you in? I'm slowly building my Overlander ('16 JKU Sport S), I'd love an Ursa Minor but don't have that kinda $$ right now! Very nice build, btw!

We're on Fort Rucker. So not too far south of you. The next time we head up north to the hillier side of the state we should have the top on it and will have to track you down.

Eagle05

Adventurer
That is the exact build I would like to eventually take on, inside and out. It was hard enough to actually get the Jeep in the first place let alone start dumping money into these modifications. Kudos to you to be able to go down that road. I'm torn between coughing up the big $ ($13000 CAN) for the J30 and getting a RTT and roof rack for about half that.
I've started off with the very same Jeep though.
I'll be following your progress for inspiration.

My dog and I are supremely jealous of your snow.

Eagle05

Adventurer
Tire Carrier Fuel/Water Can Carrier and Flooring

Water storage seems to always be one of those things I just can't quite figure out what I want to do with. I have some MSR Dromedary bags that are great and portable, but I really don't love drinking from them and they aren't the simplest in terms of access. My 5 gallon can on the other hand is great, but where to store it easily and where it can be quickly accessed has been an issue. A full one is about 40 lbs after all.
I figured I would give this solution a try for now. It's a ACE Engineering model I got from Quadratech, and Power Tank roll bar clamps from Amazon. I did have to drill four new holes in the can holder to make it work. The tire carrier has a bend in it so the mount is sort of angled off toward the passenger side, but it does clear the taillight by a hair and should allow a larger tire once I upgrade. I honestly don't love it speaking strictly aesthetically, but functionally, it fits and is a solid mount. I think I'll leave it for a while and see if it grows on me or if I can come up with a different, possibly custom welded mounting bracket to straighten it out.
Jerry Can Mount 01.jpg
Jerry Can Mount 03.jpg
Jerry Can Mount 05.jpg

As for the floor, I pulled the rear seat and front seat factory carpet and put some sound deadener down. Then I replaced the carpet with Bed Rug's Bed Tred. After just a few days of it, I like the look and the sound does seem to be a bit quieter. Though it's tough to say with the soft top still installed. The instructions suggest not installing the floor mats over the top, but I tend to get a lot of sand from the beach and the ground down here and having more easily removable mats seemed like the right choice. So I reused the attachment points from the discarded factory carpet. I liked the way it turned out. Especially in the rear underneath the Goose Gear storage compartments. My only gripe is there is a slight gap between the edge of the Bed Tred and the plastic trim next to the rear doors that wasn't there, or at least wasn't noticeable with the carpet.
Floor.jpg
Floor Mat.jpg

Eagle05

Adventurer
Ursa Minor J30-210 and Eezi-Awn Manta

Got a lot of upgrades and tweaks done this week on The Goat. It was a bit hectic as I was on the night shift and had to do everything during the day before going to work. Made for some long days. Especially tough because I couldn't have a beer while doing it. Plus, we had two days or severe weather that was not conducive to tinkering, or for working for that matter.

The install went smooth enough and really took more time to just pick up the top and uncrate it than actually fitting it. Definitely happy with the look, and the functionality is about perfect for what I have been searching for. A side mounted ladder, maybe a three panel floor vs two, and a few other small things could make it better for us, but overall we're pretty stoked to have the new top. Plus, my neighbor bought my softop. So that was easy.

Our grand weekend plans fell through when my wife got sick mid week, but we were able to visit the local campground for a test run. The weather cooperated and we had a cool night at around the mid-40's. It's been so hot lately, we definitely underdressed for it. Glad I at least threw an extra blanket in there. A few weeks back I installed a remote starter, and that paid for itself this morning allowing the cab to warm up a bit so we could pump some heat up too.

I didn't get too many pics as it was just the RV park, but it was still a nice break from home.

Attachments

• IMG_8007.jpg
    IMG_8007.jpg
    541.6 KB · Views: 78
  • IMG_8018.jpg
    IMG_8018.jpg
    586.7 KB · Views: 87
  • IMG_8021.jpg
    IMG_8021.jpg
    530.9 KB · Views: 83

rubicon91

Explorer
Got a lot of upgrades and tweaks done this week on The Goat. It was a bit hectic as I was on the night shift and had to do everything during the day before going to work. Made for some long days. Especially tough because I couldn't have a beer while doing it. Plus, we had two days or severe weather that was not conducive to tinkering, or for working for that matter.

The install went smooth enough and really took more time to just pick up the top and uncrate it than actually fitting it. Definitely happy with the look, and the functionality is about perfect for what I have been searching for. A side mounted ladder, maybe a three panel floor vs two, and a few other small things could make it better for us, but overall we're pretty stoked to have the new top. Plus, my neighbor bought my softop. So that was easy.

Our grand weekend plans fell through when my wife got sick mid week, but we were able to visit the local campground for a test run. The weather cooperated and we had a cool night at around the mid-40's. It's been so hot lately, we definitely underdressed for it. Glad I at least threw an extra blanket in there. A few weeks back I installed a remote starter, and that paid for itself this morning allowing the cab to warm up a bit so we could pump some heat up too.

I didn't get too many pics as it was just the RV park, but it was still a nice break from home.
Looks great

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94