Ambulance Camper/ Expedition Rig Conversion FAQ

Is that a winch I see peaking out from under the front bumper?

No winch, yet. Those are some chains attached to the tow hooks, the seller says he had to pull it out of the snow drift that had formed around it this winter, and just left the chains on. I may put one of my winches on the front, but I have yet to look at how I would go about mounting it, or if its worth it.

patoz

Expedition Leader
If it's 4WD you're going to use it at some point, so having a winch is probably worth it. Besides, there are so many other things you can do with it beside just pull yourself out of a 'sticky situation'.

I'm looking for a deal on a winch bumper for my 2004 F-250 right now.

rlrenz

Explorer
Lets see -- you get stuck in 2 wheel drive, so you switch to 4 wheel drive. You get stuck in 4 wheel drive high transfer case, so you switch to low range. You get stuck in 4 wheel drive, low range, so you set up the winch. You get stuck again, and you wait for a bulldozer.

That's how I remember my 4-wheeling days....

patoz

Expedition Leader
That's one of those situations where a good dose of walking around sense goes a long way. I would also rather have it and not need it, than spend a cold wet night in the mud debating my decision not to install it.

If you leave the pavement and head into the woods with 30 gallons of fuel in your tank, at what point do you turn around and head back?

Gallons remaining:

1 - 10
2 - 15
3 - 20
4 - 25

rlrenz

Explorer
The smart man will turn back while he still has 20 gallons. You've used 10 gallons driving, you need 10 gallons to get back, and the last 10 gallons is there "Just in case...."

tgreening

Expedition Leader
Where most people fail with 4wd is they either start out in it and go until stuck, or they start out in 2wd, go till stuck then switch to 4wd, and then go till stuck again. Smart way is start out in 2wd, go till stuck, then switch to 4wd turn around and get out.

But that last makes for lousy camp stories.

patoz

Expedition Leader
The smart man will turn back while he still has 20 gallons. You've used 10 gallons driving, you need 10 gallons to get back, and the last 10 gallons is there "Just in case...."

winner.gif

Of course you have to allow for the fuel you used to to get to the dirt road leaving the pavement, but maybe there was a gas station at that intersection, who knows?
dunno.gif

rlrenz

Explorer
And maybe your truck hits a hole and punches a hole in the gas tank....which is why a group of vehicles instead of just one is smart.

Bikersmurf

Expedition Leader
And maybe your truck hits a hole and punches a hole in the gas tank....which is why a group of vehicles instead of just one is smart.

Next time you're at the hardware store pick up some 'Seal All'. It'll seal a hole in a gas tank while fuel is dripping out of it. No idea if it'll do the same with diesel... patched holes in gas tanks and had the repair last 20+ years.

clarkh

Observer
Hoseline 1151

Offering this up for the cost of shipping if anyone is in need or wants/needs parts. Was working when removed. Located San Diego, CA

20160506_164146.jpg

20160506_1641572.jpg

20160506_164141.jpg

20160506_1641342.jpg

Last edited:

rlrenz

Explorer
Offering this up for the cost of shipping if anyone is in need or wants/needs parts. Was working when removed.

View attachment 394514

20160506_1641572.jpg

20160506_164141.jpg

20160506_1641342.jpg

If your unit uses the ambulance manufacturer's module air conditioner, you might want to get this as a spare part - Hoseline is the most common brand out there for ambulance air conditioners, and the blowers occasionally die. The expansion valve, solenoid valve, and the coils are also worth hanging onto - especially after you price a new evaporator module from Hoseline.

gtbensley

Explorer
I have an E350 high-top ambulance van that I am getting ready to mount some solar on. What are people opinions on mounting a single 100w panal to the roof?

It seems to be VERY flimsy as far as the fiberglass goes, nothing I am comfortable putting my own weight on.

I have read about 3M tape and think that might be a decent option but im just not sold yet.

Wouldn't mind screwing it in but the fiberglass is so thin I think I would need to make a backing for the screws and that would require me to pull the interior out to get to, and I don't really want to do that.

Thanks for the help

_hein_

Observer
We produce VHB plates for the Renogy z-brackets. 3M VHB tape won't let go but your paint could. Renogy Eclipse is a 100 watt panel with a smaller foot print than most.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier