Easy ball joint replacement and noticed i need new UCA bushings

snare

Adventurer
A buddy and I tore into the Montero's front end to replace all ball joints, all TREs, pitman arm, and install the ADD Chromoly Idler arm kingpin upgrade.

Turns out the UCA bushings are shot. LCA bushings seemed ok.

This thing rode so well with worn ball joints AND worn UCA bushings AND worn sway bar end links, I am itching to feel it when it is all refreshed !

So, I ordered some Siberian UCA bushings from ADD. Looking forward to getting them in. LCAs will be done eventually.

And as for working on the Montero's front end. My buddy (a 3rd Gen 4Runner owner) was very impressed.

He said "Ive had harder times getting into a package of peanuts than changing those ball joints".

He then went on to say the next vehicle he will likely buy will be a Montero.

We used the 'hit it with a 3 lb hammer' method of removing the whole knuckle. Super Easy !

One could change the ball joints easily trailside/roadside. And with the ease of popping the knuckle off, axle changes are pretty simple too.

This is literally the easiest front end I have ever worked on.

Had an 88 Toyota truck and it was definitely more challenging.

Other than the spark plug/wires change out process, I am continually impressed with the engineering of the Montero. Beefy, functional, comfortable, and simple.

Ordered these last night :
http://adventuredrivendesign.com/oc...duct/product&manufacturer_id=13&product_id=62

...eventually will put the Siberian poly bushings in the LCAs too.

Doing more today, including the ADD Chromoly Idler Arm upgrade. Looking forward to an even more durable front end.

SiberianUCAbushings.jpg

Toasty

Looking for that thing i just had in my hand...
The Montero IFS is the one all the other 4WD makes copied off of so it would make sense that it would be superior to it's contemporaries. <For Realz

Outdooraholic

Adventurer
Awesome! I recently replaced ball joints on my Montero Sport and had a heck of a time getting the old ones off. I'm glad yours went smoothly. I know I need to replace the UCA bushings on mine as well. I really wish I could use those ADD parts on my Sport! Enjoy!

Toasty

Awesome! I recently replaced ball joints on my Montero Sport and had a heck of a time getting the old ones off. I'm glad yours went smoothly. I know I need to replace the UCA bushings on mine as well. I really wish I could use those ADD parts on my Sport! Enjoy!

You can get the bushings, just not the idler upgrade.

Toasty

I'm supposed to add all the Sport stuff but i haven't had time, if you contact IncorporatedX he can get the parts coming.

JohnnyBfromPeoria

I'm Getting Around To It
I've never replaced the upper control arm bushings on a Gen 2, but I need to. A description of the process would be appreciated. I'm sure it's not quite like the Gen 1's upper shaft replacement because the Gen 1 can adjust caster whereas the Gen 2 cannot.

John B.

snare

Adventurer
Ok, I decided to order the Siberian poly LCA bushings too...

I figured I will just do it now, before I head west for OXW (and hopefully some near never-ending exploring), and perhaps never need to replace them again.

siberianLCAbushing.jpg
(photo off of ADD's site)

Last edited:

snare

Adventurer
The 98's steering is solid, tight, and smooth with the idler arm upgrade in and the new front end parts.

With the Siberian poly UCA and LCA bushings, this is going to be phenomenal !

(then Bilsteins...) :)

fenderemblem.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles